Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tunning acrylic drums?

User Info Menu

Default Re: tunning acrylic drums?

what heads are you using rick?

User Info Menu

Definitely a 2 ply head to tone the brightness down a bit. Apparently since you have a kit like JB used you are supposed to tune it like him. Not! I am sure that with the right heads and maybe some Moongels, you can get the sound you are looking for. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    what heads are you using rick?
    Aquarian Super 2's. I had the black 1's on for a while, but switched back to the regular Super 2's.

In some of my videos , I'm using Diplomats top and bottom, with the super 2's, the reso's are the diplomats.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 06-01-2011 at 11:01 AM. Reason: adding something

User Info Menu

When it comes to tuning drums, I'm a firm believer in learning how to tune as opposed to changing heads. Now, I have to admit messing with different heads the last couple of months, but, the sounds I'm getting, I could have gotten with the Diplomats that I had on my set.

Having grown up in the 50's (I started playing in 1956, when I was 10), there wasn't a lot of heads to choose from. So you learned how to tune with what you had.

In any given head (outside of the hydraulics, which suck) there is a large amount of sounds that can be had, you just have to spend the time with them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Aquarian Super 2's. I had the black 1's on for a while, but switched back to the regular Super 2's.

In some of my videos , I'm using Diplomats top and bottom, with the super 2's, the reso's are the diplomats.
    links to the videos please

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    links to the videos please

http://youtu.be/YLax69NBZfo

This was done with all diplomats, top and bottom. The 2 toms mounted over the floor toms are acrylic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmonster206 View Post
    Definitely a 2 ply head to tone the brightness down a bit. Apparently since you have a kit like JB used you are supposed to tune it like him. Not! I am sure that with the right heads and maybe some Moongels, you can get the sound you are looking for. Good luck!
    going to experiment with 2 ply heads
    Last edited by itchie; 06-02-2011 at 03:02 AM.