Thread: Pedals

User Info Menu

Question Pedals

Alright I finally got me a job this last weekend, so I'll have money in about a month to buy a new double kick pedal. I know, there are a million of these threads. Most of you are gonna tell me, choose the pedal that feels the best to me. I would really love to do that, but my local music stores are really lacking on their drum hardware. Bad. Yeah, they can get me about any cymbal (for like 80 over GC price) or stick, mallet, beater or head, but they carry very few double kick pedals. To top it off, my closest guitar center is about 70 miles away. That really adds to the price of buying one..

Okay. Nuff with that.

I've pretty much narrowed the choice down to a DW 5002 or Tama Iron Cobra, and I am gonna buy one used of ebay. I've noticed that the Tama seems to have one crucial adjustment that the DW doesn't, at least that I can tell. The independent beater angle adjustment. How big of a difference can that make? I've never played on one with that.

I'm really not sure what to ask minus that. I just need some help choosing. I really hate that I can't go out and try the pedals before buying.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pedals

I am a die hard DW fan/user when it comes to pedals and hihat stands and have been for years. That beeing said, I must warn you about buying a DW used, without seeing/feeling it first. (ebay etc). The universal joints on their crossbars DO wear out and become very loose. I ended up having so much play in my slave pedal that I converted it to 2 singles and moved them to my electric kit. I still bought a new 5000 for my acoustics, though, because I cannot not use DW pedals. Can't bring myself to do it.

If you do get a used one and the crossbar wears out or IS worne out, a replacement one for the Tama is cheaper than one for the DW.

User Info Menu

If you're into adjusting, i'd take a strong look at the Pearl eliminators. Multiple cams provide many different levels is tension, angle, and speed. You can set them tighter so you have to push harder if you're wanting to train your feet a bit, so that's a plus. I also like that they aren't wildly expensive as say an axis or a trick, and come with a great pedal board design that reduces slipping.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I think DW U-joints are too loose for me when they're new. I've been using Tamas sense 1986. Even the Iron Cobra Jr. is a good one. I played one of those for 7yr.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    If you're into adjusting, i'd take a strong look at the Pearl eliminators. Multiple cams provide many different levels is tension, angle, and speed. You can set them tighter so you have to push harder if you're wanting to train your feet a bit, so that's a plus. I also like that they aren't wildly expensive as say an axis or a trick, and come with a great pedal board design that reduces slipping.
    Well, the only experience I have had with a pearl, is an old p100 I think. Really not a bad pedal. It outlasted my Iron Cobra ( I guess jrs....did they call them those back in the 90's?). I've actually heard that people like the feel of them over the Demon Drives. I might have to see if I can get feet on a set of those. They seem to go for more than the Cobra's or 5002 on ebay, so if I don't like em I could always trade em. Lol

User Info Menu

Get a DW dude. Iron cobras are good but I guarantee the DW's are better. And +1 I hate living far away from a guitar center...
    I am currently suffering from gear acquisition syndrome. Will trade soul for drum gear. Donations accepted.

-Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive 5-piece
    -SP Hardware
    -Gibraltar Avenger DB-Pedal
    -PST5 Cymbals

"Uncontrollable urticaria drivel spurting" -a sentence spawned from the half a word story.

User Info Menu

Go for the Pearl man. I have the Pearl Eliminator P2000c which is just a single pedal but they are available in the dble. Lots of adjustments, the cams are interchangable and they never break down. I have had mine 6 years and all I do is lubricate it once in awhile and dust it. Good luck on what you decide.

User Info Menu

It will probably come down to the pedal I can afford, which will probably be a 5002 or Iron Cobra. If I come up on a great deal on an eliminator, I will grab it. Anything can be better than what I am used to. Lol.

User Info Menu

Well, I wound up getting a second even better job today ( with better pay and insurance ) so, i'll be able to move up to the new pedal route. I'm really interested in the DW 8002s. Anyone use those?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xoferif09 View Post
    Well, I wound up getting a second even better job today ( with better pay and insurance ) so, i'll be able to move up to the new pedal route. I'm really interested in the DW 8002s. Anyone use those?

The current production 8002's are available in two versions... the basic "heavyweight" version... not really a performance jump from the 5002... and the solid footboard model... which is really sweet.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Iv played the above pic of the 8002's, and its a really really good pedal.
    IMO, save up for a 9000.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

I played with a Ludwig Speed King for about 50 years. In the last year, I've bought a Axis, a DW9000, and a Iron Cobra (both single and double).

The Axis I couldn't even get close to what I wanted. The 9000 is a royal pain in the butt. You get it close, make a minor adjustment, and it's out of wack. It's not they they aren't fast, they are all fast. It's the subtle things that I could do with the Speed King that I can't with the 9000. I've played around with it more times than I can count, can't get it where I want it. It's going to wind up on e-bay before too long.

The Iron Cobra is the best of the 3, but if your foot moves a hair on the footboard, it can screw up the feel of the pedal.

The thing that burns me the most, is that, by playing around with these pedals, I've totally lost my feel for the Speed King. Had I known, I would have stayed with the Speed King, which was fast and dependable.

If you are looking for a opinion, go with Iron Cobra. The DW's have too many adjustments, and, at least for me, it's a pain in the butt.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the info guys. I'll update in about 2 weeks to tell what pedal I got.

User Info Menu

I was using a DW5000 double pedal for over 10 years and needed to upgrade.
    After researching the latest and greatest...I bought a Mapex falcon double pedal. Very pleased with the quality and how smooth and fast it is.

DW makes very good pedals! I was able to get $225 for the DW5000's on Fleabay and paid only $311 for the Falcons Brand new in box. (my wife found a coupon code when we ordered them for an extra discount!!) Comes with a Heavy duty carrying case too! Do your self a favor and check them out! You won't be disappointed!

User Info Menu

Iron Cobra Power Glide, with Cobra Coil. DEVASTATING.

User Info Menu

Rickthedrummer, I feel your pain!
    "The thing that burns me the most, is that, by playing around with these pedals, I've totally lost my feel for the Speed King. Had I known, I would have stayed with the Speed King, which was fast and dependable."
    The same thing happened to me when I decided to learn dbls. But a week after I switched back to speed king I could do more!
    Go figure....
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

+1 for someguydude's comment. I would buy the Tamas.
    *TAMA-PEARL-REMO-EVANS-PAISTE- SABIAN-ZILDJIAN-VATER*

YouTube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperPbizzle?feature=mhw5

User Info Menu

Spend some real dough and get a DUALIST!!!!!! Oh the fun I would have with one of those...

User Info Menu

Although I'm a die-hard DW5000 pedal guy, because I do teach on a few different students sets when doing home visits, I have to say I'm pretty damned impressed with Tama Iron Cobras, some Pearl models, an older Yamaha double pedal one student has, and so forth. One guy guy has even, get this, a limited edition chromed version of the Iron Cobra pedal. After showing him a few adjustments on it, this thing pretty much makes your feet fly.....gave me the same feeling I remember when I used to play two Tama Flex-Flyer singles (which I still own, by the way, and are wicked to play two bass drums with). So, although I'm a Dee-Dub Guy, I'd heartily recommend the Iron Cobras, especially like what Perry said, cheaper to get parts for them than DW's, and probably quicker too.....out here in Australia at least.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Love my IC! It's about 10 years old and is STILL RULING!

User Info Menu

Do yourself a BIG favour and, if possible, try the Mapex Falcons! I had the 5002s and, well, I sold them a year later.
    DW drums and Paiste cymbals.