Thread: Mapex Saturn Hard Cases

User Info Menu

Default Mapex Saturn Hard Cases

picking up a new Saturn kit. It appears that these are not going to be an easy fit in standard SKB's due to hardware issues.
    BD is 22 x 20 and with spurs like they are will I need a 24 x 20" case?

Floor toms look like they are going to have some issues also.

I'd like to hear what any of you guys with Mapex do for cases.
    Thanks,
    Last edited by Chadk; 06-10-2011 at 11:46 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex Saturn Hard Cases

As for the bass drum, you mentioned it being 22x20? Not sure exactly why you'd want a 24x22, logically with that much room to bounce and move around you could risk damaging it or having parts come loose. With a saturn, that's not something you want to do! Anyway, a quick search showed you can get that size. Here are some of the makers i've noticed carrying them:

[Cases]
    Protechtor
    Nomad
    SKB
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

i have a saturn kit but havn't tried putting them in my cases yet, the bass drum should be fine, they'll be pleanty of room, i can get my 24" b/d in a 22" case, i'll try over the weekend.

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

i say go into a (pro) music store make them deal with it

User Info Menu

I have a set of Guardian soft cases and my 22x18 fits. It's a tight fit, but, it gets in there.

User Info Menu

I'm going to try them today in a couple of standard size SKB's and see. All the suspension mounts on the toms, spurs on the legs, and opinions from the guy I'm buying from say they wont fit. We'll see if I have to upsize everything.

User Info Menu

well, I didnt get to play around with them much, but I took one or two of my skb cases with me to pick the drums up. Because of the floor tom mounts, the 14" floor tom barely fits in my 16" skb. I also had to take the legs off the floor tom but I think this was just because the legs had the memory locks preventing the legs from being stowed all the way up. (mem locks on the bottom / should be on top of legs.)
    I didnt have time to experiment with them. Playing tonight and tomorrow so it may be next week.
    Now, I did e-mail Mapex. They responded within a few hours ( good C/S) and suggested XL Cases that seem to be a division or branch of Gator (protechtor). These cases basically suspend the drums inside the case so your shell or rims never touch the interior of the case.
    I'll get some dimensions taken and get with these folks for an estimate.
    So between outfitting the new kit with heads and cases and general configurations, it's going to be a while until they're gig ready. Sure are pretty though.