Thread: First Gig In Thirty Years!

User Info Menu

Default First Gig In Thirty Years!

Last Friday night I played my first gig in over thirty years! I stopped gigging just before my first child was born to concentrate on my family and my career. I didn't stop playing, always had the drums set up in the basement, jammed with friends, but didn't get into playing seriously.
    Now that the kids are grown and on their own, and the career is almost on auto-pilot, I hooked up with some excellent players and after several months of rehearsals and personnel changes, we played out and got paid! Not much, but hey.
    It was a blast! We had a good crowd and got them up dancing and cheering. Of course, most of them were family and friends, but it was still a bunch of fun.
    The bar owner was impressed, paid us more than we agreed on, and asked us back. So I would say it was a successful gig. Can't wait to do it again, even if it means lugging all my stuff there and back all over again. Wasn't I supposed to have roadies by now?
    JOE

Seven piece vintage Ludwig kit (1971), Sky Blue Pearl, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 22
    Snare drums (all Ludwig): 1971 Supraphonic, 1969 SBP Classic, 1990s Blackrolite, 2012 6.5x 14 Black Magic
    Zildjian Cymbals - 21 ping, 20, 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14 HH, 10, 18 China, Wuhan 18 China
    Five piece Sonor All Maple 3005s: 12, 13, 16, 22, 5x 14 snare
    Roland TD4SX
    SPL Birch Bop Kit: 13, 8, 13, 18

User Info Menu

Default Re: First Gig In Thirty Years!

Congrats. That sounds like the way to come back. Keep it up. The kids should be old enough to sit in now.
    Steve
    "When I can match Buddy Rich, lick for lick, I will get a rack."
    Ludwig Super Classic

User Info Menu

thats awesome man! more power to you! thats definitely the right way to get back into gigging!
    Pearl Export EX matte purple with black hardware 10, 13, 14, 22

14" Zildjian Constantinople hats
    22" Zildjian Constantinople ride
    8" Zildjian Constantinople splash
    20" Zildjian Constantinople ride/crash
    18" Zildjian Constantinople riveted ride/crash
    16" A. Zildjian Thin Crash (now a wall decoration)
    18" A. Zildjian Thin Crash
    14" Avedis Zildjian crash

User Info Menu

I always thought that you had the kids so that the would become your roadies...........My mom had 10 sisters and 1 brother so that there was plenty of help on the farm, so, in my way of thinking, 3 kids for the drummer is just about right!
    "You can never legislate stupidity, because there is no power in this world that can prevent it."-My Dad after watching his golf partner trying to hit a ball through a grove of trees.

User Info Menu

congrats, hopefully plenty more gigs to follow for you.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

maybe you should never have stopped

I know I wont when my Mrs and I start our family

User Info Menu

I think gigging is a fun thing to do. I jam or perform with lots of older musicians. I dread the day when I can't do it any more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joecut View Post
    Last Friday night I played my first gig in over thirty years! I stopped gigging just before my first child was born to concentrate on my family and my career. I didn't stop playing, always had the drums set up in the basement, jammed with friends, but didn't get into playing seriously.
    Now that the kids are grown and on their own, and the career is almost on auto-pilot, I hooked up with some excellent players and after several months of rehearsals and personnel changes, we played out and got paid! Not much, but hey.
    It was a blast! We had a good crowd and got them up dancing and cheering. Of course, most of them were family and friends, but it was still a bunch of fun.
    The bar owner was impressed, paid us more than we agreed on, and asked us back. So I would say it was a successful gig. Can't wait to do it again, even if it means lugging all my stuff there and back all over again. Wasn't I supposed to have roadies by now?
    Great story and it put a smile on my face; thanks.

All the best with it.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Awesome congrats.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Very cool. Sounds like you had fun.

User Info Menu

Never loosing the passion and worked on your licks for 30 years?
    Hooked up with some great musicians with a few months to rehears?
    Family and friends dancing and having a blast backing you guys up?

I bet the club owner was pleased and wants you guys back! Nice!

User Info Menu

Congrats on getting back out there. It's only been a year and a half for me, but it feels like thirty.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

It is fantastic to return and do it again, right ?

I played in smoky bars and late nights for 25 years and quit because I had become bored with it.................some of the boredom (now I see with hindsight) was with the band members..............especially one guy.

I did not play in a band for 14 years, although I did do enough studio work to keep me active and still have a few chops.

Until about a year and a half ago..................a studio-friend called me up and asked me to audition for his band because they had lost a drummer. Told him I wasn't interested but he talked me into it...........glad he did because I got the gig and I'm having a great time.............quality original music and good musicianship............power trio...........love it.

That first gig after 14 years was high anxiety but I've settled into it now.

Congrats to you and thanks for another successful return story.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Congratulations! Awesome that you're back on stage!
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Congratulations sir ! Thats the way to do it. Have fun and if you put a little coin in pocket its a plus.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Hard enough to get paid period, and you got a bonus. That is superb!!
    Back around '97-98? I took a year away from the drums after many years of full time gigging. A group of guys I had been on the road years before talked me into coming back. I had not even picked up a stick in a year. Went on stage cold, no rehearsal, just a few listens to the sets in the car. It was one of my best playing gigs ever. So fresh, turned into another 12-13 years of steady gigs.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Joecut, Congrat's on your first gig. Way to go!

User Info Menu

Thanks to all for your replies. The band already has three more gigs booked, so it looks like I'm off to a good start my second time around.
    JOE

Seven piece vintage Ludwig kit (1971), Sky Blue Pearl, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 22
    Snare drums (all Ludwig): 1971 Supraphonic, 1969 SBP Classic, 1990s Blackrolite, 2012 6.5x 14 Black Magic
    Zildjian Cymbals - 21 ping, 20, 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14 HH, 10, 18 China, Wuhan 18 China
    Five piece Sonor All Maple 3005s: 12, 13, 16, 22, 5x 14 snare
    Roland TD4SX
    SPL Birch Bop Kit: 13, 8, 13, 18