Thread: Woo Hoo!

User Info Menu

Default Woo Hoo!

Hello everyone! I just scored a Ludwig set for a great price, free! It's wraps are in bad condition and cracking really, really bad so we are going to take them off and paint them(the drums not the wraps!). My dad got it for free off of a friend who bought it for his kids but didn't have room for it. It came with, 14 inch by 6.5 inch steel snare with Remo coated ambassador batter head and Remo clear ambassador reso head, 12 inch by 10 inch tom with Remo pintsripe batter head and no reso head, 13 inch by 11 inch tom with Remo controlled sound batter head and no reso head, 16 inch by 16 inch floor tom with Remo controlled sound batter head and no reso head, 22 inch by 14 inch bass drum with Remo controlled sound batter head and stock Remo reso head, tom mounts, Ludwig stock hi hat cymbal stands, a Yamaha straight cymbal stand, and a Yamaha boom cymbal stand. Now I just need to update my cymbals(all I currently have are a MX series 16 inch crash and 14 inch hi hats and a cheap 10 inch no name splash.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Woo Hoo!

Not sure if I want to buy reso heads for the toms, they didn't come with bottom hoops so I would have to buy those too.

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new kit anonyMOuSrocker. We will, of course, need to see pics at some point. The saying here is, "pics, or it didn't happen." LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Oh yes I've heard that before! As soon as I figure out how to post pics I'll definitely post some, I'll leave one of the toms in the old wrap to photograph one of the gold wrap. It's really pretty, only the 12 inch tom and bass drum have cracks in them so I might leave the other ones in the wrap even though it will be mismatched. For the 12 inch and bass those are the ones I meant when I said I was going to paint them.

User Info Menu

Going for the Frankenstien kit, huh? At the price you got them for, I'd go for whatever they'd give me.

BTW, here's link to a thread that will tell you how to post pics: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Maybe, I cant really bring myself to take a wrap in good condition off of a drum. I dunno why, I'm not looking in to ever selling it. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that its my first kit aside from my horrible sound percussion "drum set."

User Info Menu

Oh, by the way, thanks for the link. I've never even uploaded a picture to the internet but it can't be that hard right?

User Info Menu

Not hard at all once you have the picture on your computer.

User Info Menu

Or to a computer! Pretty sure I can handle it though. Wait, what's a picture? Just kidding.

User Info Menu

I'm tired so my humor is pretty bad right now.

User Info Menu

No sweat, I'm pretty fried myself right now.

User Info Menu

Nice score man! Do you happen to know which model or time period its from? My friend also just scored a vintage Ludwig set that turns out to be from 65, who knew!
    The drums!
    Tama Starclassic Birch 5 piece
    14x6.5 Brass Pork Pie big black snare
    12",14" DDrum Deccabons
    Batter- Aquarian Response 2 coated
    Reso- Aquarian Classic Coated

The Cymbals!
    17" Paiste 2002 Wild Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Power Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    14" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hi hats
    10" Wuhan Splash
    16" Wuhan China

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamadrummer1242 View Post
    Nice score man! Do you happen to know which model or time period its from? My friend also just scored a vintage Ludwig set that turns out to be from 65, who knew!
    Not sure, I know it sounds good to me and that's about it. But It would be awesome if it was vintage, too bad I have to refinish it.

User Info Menu

Anything that is free is good but a drumkit wow. Congrats and get some pics loaded soon cause I am anxious to see what they look like and age.

User Info Menu

Ok, the badge on the snare says 3175006, anyone know what year it is?

User Info Menu

Wait, I think the kit might be from the 80's, not sure though.
    The snare anyway, might be aftermarket though.

User Info Menu

Those wraps are definitely toast and need to go, if your description is accurate. What I would do is start by peeling off the wraps on the shells, using a blow drier on low speed but high heat to ease it off the rough spots. Next up, if there is too much glue you'll need to sand it down a little bit. If the shell doesn't require that and is ready for finishing, you have research and work to do. Here's some options, from cheapest to most expensive:

1) leave the shells bare(cheapest, simplest, and fastest procedure)
    2) stain(cheap way to finish the shells with a new color, and shows off the grain)
    3) wrap(not too expensive, but not too cheap either. grain not shown, easy to learn, and the most protective finish method)
    4) painting(most expensive option, requires certain tools and work areas, wait times, and materials. knowledge of techniques recommended)
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Those wraps are definitely toast and need to go, if your description is accurate. What I would do is start by peeling off the wraps on the shells, using a blow drier on low speed but high heat to ease it off the rough spots. Next up, if there is too much glue you'll need to sand it down a little bit. If the shell doesn't require that and is ready for finishing, you have research and work to do. Here's some options, from cheapest to most expensive:

1) leave the shells bare(cheapest, simplest, and fastest procedure)
    2) stain(cheap way to finish the shells with a new color, and shows off the grain)
    3) wrap(not too expensive, but not too cheap either. grain not shown, easy to learn, and the most protective finish method)
    4) painting(most expensive option, requires certain tools and work areas, wait times, and materials. knowledge of techniques recommended)
    Thanks Russ, I'll probably spray paint them.

User Info Menu

Russ, how did you see a pic? I don't see a link!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Be sure to stock up on some safety gear, such as overalls and especially a gasmask. Seriously, those fumes from spraycans are really dangerous if they get into your lungs. Wishing you all the best on your project, it's going to be great and I think you'll have a wonderful experience.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Russ, how did you see a pic? I don't see a link!
    I didn't see a pic, I was just going based on how he described the condition of the wraps. They sound based on that description like they're done for so an alternative means of finishing is necessary both for sound preservation, and restoring the aesthetic that was once there.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I didn't see a pic, I was just going based on how he described the condition of the wraps. They sound based on that description like they're done for so an alternative means of finishing is necessary both for sound preservation, and restoring the aesthetic that was once there.
    thanks Russ, thought I was having a Senior/computer moment!
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride