Thread: Tuning

User Info Menu

Question Tuning

I'm not worried or asking how to tune or having any problems. I have my tuning preference like everyone else. but i just want to know the tuning preference of you guys. how do you tune and what type of sound doyou have on all your drums?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tuning

I'm still trying to find my sound with my new Starclassics. Right now I'm using identical tension top and bottom...according to my Tension Watch. Generally thats about half a turn above finger tight on top and about a 1/4 above finger tight on bottom.

User Info Menu

Check out Bob Gatzen's videos on YouTube. They're really helpful when it comes to basic tuning. Usually I follow his method when I'm tuning my own drums.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Right now I have them tuned up into the upper range, because my kit is set up as a muted e-kit. Tuning is more or less irrelevant, I have em tuned to accommodate a certain feel. Since the sound is coming out of the module or interface, the triggers, and mixed with drum sample programs, drumheads and cymbals don't affect the sound. At first I was highly skeptical that it was possible to get a good sound so easily vs my own methods, but it is tough to argue with results.

However, to get back on topic a bit because I have trailed from it somewhat: when I do tune it for acoustical purposes, I like to stick to what the drumdial says but subtract 5 from each value. This, I have found is a good spot for 2 ply or thicker heads, while adding 5 to each value is good for 1 ply or thin heads. You might like it and you might not, but sometimes it works for me. If recording however, I will sometimes take extreme measures like buying certain heads, tuning for the music, or using varying degrees of muffling, changing mic placement, even playing around with a room's acoustics by moving objects within a room. Anything it takes to get the sound, anything.
    Last edited by Russ; 06-21-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments