Thread: New snare :/

User Info Menu

Default New snare :/

Im thinking of getting a new snare for my kit, but im clueless.

I have around £250 to spend...

A friend has told me about the black panther series from mapex, and a few others, but i wanted a wider opinion.

Any ideas? What do you play?

User Info Menu

Someone was talking about a pearl floating snare...... I dont know much about it but i hear really really good words about it. Someone will know what im on about and give the info up :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

how much is that american?

User Info Menu

Im not sure but i think its around 300-400 dollars.

User Info Menu

250.00 GBP

=

495.884 USD
    United Kingdom Pounds United States Dollars
    1 GBP = 1.98353 USD 1 USD = 0.504150 GBP
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

the Pearl Free Floater is an amazingly versatile snare, with 3 interchangeable shells, for the fraction of the price of a snare, so you could by the Brass Shell Free Floater, and then buy the Maple shell insert (€80 i think) and then it is like 2 snares in 1. The "Free Floating" name, refers to the fact that the shell is not attached to any of the lugs etc. and all the hardware is completely seperated from the shell, allowing maximum resonance.

If you went into a shop and compared it sound-wise to the Black Panther, you'd 65% choose the FFS, a select fewe prefer the Mapex.

The FFS is a real good quality investment though. It cost me €460 with a few little tid bits added on on special offer, so I'd say it is probably arounf €400, and euro is close enough to the dollar. Ask a few questiond in your local music shop! I have never heard a bad word said about an FFS before.
    Last edited by rjf1986; 06-04-2007 at 07:04 AM.
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

i think my next might be an 8x14 tama g-maple to match my 6x14. i would also like an 8x14 brass.

User Info Menu

then see if you can get an 8x14 pearl with a 8x14 brass in one snare ? :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

i already own 5x14 brass and maple pearl free floaters.

User Info Menu

If you could beg, steal or borrow a Ludwig Supraphonic 402 (second hand is fine - they're indestructible), that would be the way to go. They have stood the test of time, and they're just magnificent drums.
    Naturally, I'm just a little biased, but I'm still playing my Ludwigs that I bought 20 years ago - they just don't make 'em like that any more.
    Mature rockin' Ludwiggy (but wigless, by avatar and pic!!)
    Drums: Ludwig
    Cymbals: Zildjian A Custom
    Heads: Remo Pinstripe and Evans
    Band: Snapshot

User Info Menu

You use to be able to buy any major branded drum and it would sound good! :P Infact classic drum kits are ment to be quite more expencive than standard ones.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Hey Clipper, welcome to DrumChat. Nice to see someone else that has a bit of mileage on them! I see you're a radio man. You'll have to talk to our friend, Bongobro.

I don't have the expereince that you have, so tell me about the Supraphonic. What makes it so special?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper058
    If you could beg, steal or borrow a Ludwig Supraphonic 402 (second hand is fine - they're indestructible), that would be the way to go. They have stood the test of time, and they're just magnificent drums.
    Naturally, I'm just a little biased, but I'm still playing my Ludwigs that I bought 20 years ago - they just don't make 'em like that any more.
    THE classic rock snare sound right there. i have a 6.5x14.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome Pastor Bob. I'm somewhat new to chat forums, so bear with me while I learn the ropes, but a drum forum at least feels like home, so it's great to join you fellow "strokers"!

Yep, I've got a few years on me - and a 'second innings', having survived cancer and chemotherapy a few years back. I was told to get my affairs in order earlier in the century, and it was certainly challenging. I'm blessed with a pretty good immune system, and just grateful to the creator to be alive.

Just a bit about yours truly. Drums have been my musical inclination from an early age, and I acquired my first "real" kit of Premiers at age 14 (wonderful 'Lokfast' hardware, and a bass pedal I have always regretted quitting). I guess at a younger age we're inspired by our drumming heroes, and for me it was John Bonham of Led Zep. Inexplicably, many 70's drummers muffled the hell out of their drums: but not Bonzo - he made his Ludwigs sing.
    While not a great technical drummer, his music was what mattered. Have a listen to Custard Pie (track 1 on the Physical Grafitti album. There are two tom hits near the end which are just sublime).
    The "Fool in the Rain" track is also a great shuffle, and you should add it to your bag of tricks (Jeff Porcaro did!!)
    Another great Ludwig drummer of the time (although I believe he now endorses Pearl) was Ian Paice of Deep Purple - a wonderful technician.
    It was always the sound of Ludwigs that sold me; not the fact that Ringo endorsed them. Looking back at some old clips of Joe Morello with Dave Brubeck, and that sound is undeniable.

As an aside; my thoughts about the Ludwig Supraphonic 402 snare drum? Damn hard to quantify, because it comes down to familiarity and feel with your instrument. I also have an early 70's Hayman Vibrasonic, which by comparison is a horse of a different colour. Nice warm "Gretschy" sort of tone (and excellent in smaller venues), but tempramental when tuning or re-heading.
    The suprahonic has never let me down - treat it well and it will more than repay you. Sorry I can't be more specific...

So, during my teenage years it was in and out of bands and jamming with whoever. In my early 20's and somewhat frustrated with my progress (or lack of it) so I learned highland drumming (Trivia: New Zealand has more pipe bands that Scotland). This is what gave me a truly excellent grounding in rudiments and reading, and to join a cool brotherhood of corps drummers, many of whom have become lifelong friends. I was also in awe of Swiss rudimenatry drumming at the time (still am really).

Incidentally it was during this period that I was tagged with the nickname "Clipper" for inadvertently hitting rimshots while marching. Working out settings on a rubber pad was one thing, but playing on a moving drum was something that took some getting used to! I got over the rimshots, but not the nickname.

Mid-80's, and I took a break from drumming (paradoxically it was when I acquired my current Ludwig set) to concentrate on helping raise two healthy young chaps, the youngest of whom I have since taught to play.
    Now that the kids have grown and flown the nest, it's time to get back in again and have some more fun.

My Ludwig setup is basically the same as Bonham's, but with a 24 inch bass drum instead of a 26, and in natural maple (not Vistalite!). Also I prefer Zildjian cymbals, but I can't pass judgement on anyone's elses preferred brand because I've only had very fleeting experience of Paistes, Sabians and Meinels.

Top drummers I currently admire? Steve Gadd for his groove, Vinnie Coliauta (for wonderful polyrhythm), Thomas Lang, for his technical mastery.
    Strangely enough, I was never inspired by Buddy Rich. He gave off a vibe that even as a kid I felt uncomfortable with, but I couldn't pin down. Sure he could play drums, but as I discovered later, by some accounts a total pratt to his fellow man. That was it - I just got an "off" vibe from him.

A drummer I would like to sit down and spend just a couple of hours over a coffee or vege burger with? Paul McCartney!! (Have another listen to the "Band on the Run" album, Hurdy Gurdy Man by Donovan, or The Ballad of John and Yoko).

Which brings me to a touch of my philosophy: I don't profess knowledge (it's too subjective), but I do have some experience. It's impossible to teach passion. Keep in mind the old motto: Practice sloppy - play sloppy. Great chops are fine and dandy, but if you can't keep time, you shouldn't really be there. A multitude of drumming sins have been disguised in the recording studio - play "live" as much as you can. Respect your fellow musos, and 'lock in' to your bass player - you two are the "engine room" of your band. Listen to as much music as you can possiblly stand. Don't worry: the Sun will still rise tommorow. Remember that yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift - that's why it's called the present! Turn your ears on and learn to trust them, have fun and don't forget to breathe.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clipper058
    Don't worry: the Sun will still rise tommorow. Remember that yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift - that's why it's called the present! Turn your ears on and learn to trust them, have fun and don't forget to breathe.
    Nice! - Welcome to Drum Chat Clipper. (Don't forget to check in. )
    Last edited by drummer; 06-08-2007 at 12:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Clipper, thanks for being open enough to give us your background, and some good advice that I'm sure must have been born out of facing a very real, and difficult period in your life. Good to have you with us (in every sense of that phrase)!

And thanks for the info on the Supraphonic 402. I don't have the drumming experience that you have, as I am indulging that pleasure a bit later in my life, but because of my friends here at DrumChat, I am learning fast and loving every minute of it!

Oh, and I loved the "Gretschy sound" so much that I recently decided to buy a Gretsch Catalina kit with maple shells. Now I can't wait to get home every night so that I can sit down on my own little throne and feel the beat! Yes, I practice, too, but that's just so that I can get better at the beat!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Rock on pastor bob. I note that Charlie Watts traded in his Ludwigs for Gretsch in about 1965...and still plays a four piece kit, but makes them sound like an orchestra.
    Enjoy that maple and many hours of percussive pleasure.

Cheers

User Info Menu

Yeah! Charlie is one of my favorite drummers cos he knows that less is more.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the encouragement, Clipper. I means a lot to me to receive encouragement from others that have more experience than I do (and at this point that means just about everyone in here). I'm self-taught so far, but I've come along pretty fast (only started in late March after a brief fling with a practice pad). I learn best by hearing and understanding, and the folks of DrumChat have been a tremendous help to me in "getting" any number of concepts. Once I understand them, I go to the kit and work it out. Of course, I'm still having to all the same things, by way of practice, practice, practice that everyone else does, too. For instance, my left hand still struggles to keep up with my right hand as I push the speed, but then everyone faces that as they start, unless their left handed!

Oh, and I'm about to start taking lessons, so if I sound at all a little less than humble, that will be gone in a very short time, I'm sure! Really, though, I'm not so much sure of myself, as I am excited.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob
    For instance, my left hand still struggles to keep up with my right hand as I push the speed, but then everyone faces that as they start, unless their left handed!
    That's not true, my right hand is still faster
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog
    That's not true, my right hand is still faster
    So, you must be a lefty then, eh Ethel? And yet, your right hand is faster. So much for norms - right out the window!