View Poll Results: when do you replace your wires?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • after a few break

7 35.00%
  • right away when one breaks

13 65.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: broken snare wires

User Info Menu

Default Re: broken snare wires

Ive always run Snappy Snare wires and never had a problem. Slinky, whats the humidity like were your dums are?

User Info Menu

im finding the wire gets out of shape way before they break

take your wires off see if they are still straight ..if not not this could be causing a unwanted buzz or uneven tone on the resonate head

User Info Menu

In 30+ years of playing, never had one break...................the only time I ever swapped them out was for a different sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    im finding the wire gets out of shape way before they break

take your wires off see if they are still straight ..if not not this could be causing a unwanted buzz or uneven tone on the resonate head
    +1 on this.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I've broken plenty of snare wires over the years and go through a snare wire every now and then. I've had all kinds of them.

I never attributed broken wires to a bad snare or improper installation, over tightening, or bad solder. I've blamed it more on shipping and handling from the set up and tear down 4 nights a week. (Strange things happen to gear when you travel around with it regularly.)

I've also never had anyone tell me that it sounded like my snare wires weren't "even" - or that I had one missing - or that they sounded cheap, or expensive, or like I had clipped one with wire cutters, or that it sounded good or bad. In fact....come to think of it - - I've never had anyone comment about the condition of my snare wires ever.

Nevermind.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    I've broken plenty of snare wires over the years and go through a snare wire every now and then. I've had all kinds of them.

I never attributed broken wires to a bad snare or improper installation, over tightening, or bad solder. I've blamed it more on shipping and handling from the set up and tear down 4 nights a week. (Strange things happen to gear when you travel around with it regularly.)

I've also never had anyone tell me that it sounded like my snare wires weren't "even" - or that I had one missing - or that they sounded cheap, or expensive, or like I had clipped one with wire cutters, or that it sounded good or bad. In fact....come to think of it - - I've never had anyone comment about the condition of my snare wires ever.

Nevermind.
    This.
    I will add, if your drums reside in high humidity area, the soldering may be prone to rusting causing tge wires to pop off.

User Info Menu

hey NR the humidity is a major problem in the practice room during summer. I'll check that possibility of rusting. I guess it must be the way some of us use them. I've always had them break even in the early days of playing.

I like what you said EddieV, I don't fall into the more exspensive is always better trap. That may be true with with some things but..... probably why it took me this long to finally try em. They are nicely made wires I like the brass ends they use
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummin2 View Post
    +1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Thought I'd resurrect this because the Puresound wires I put on awhile back broke 5 wires!. In a way I'm a little ticked they didn't last longer. I mean close to $20 for a pack?. snipped em off and will use them for awhile longer but I think I'm going to go back to snappy's. They last just as long and the sound difference to me isn't very noticable really.
    Wow....1st for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Believe it or not. I have never broken or replaced snare wires. Must be lucky or something.
    Gilles, you're a lucky guy!!

Quote Originally Posted by toothpaste View Post
    I broke my Puresound wires a few months back but didn't even realize it...haha. They do make excellent snare wire but my Sonor wire has held up a lot better since switching back to it.
    I've always swapped out to Puresound and never had a problem...thanks for the update!

User Info Menu

Years and years ago, I had a couple of wires break on the "aftermarket" set of wires that I had ...it was on a used snare I picked up at a pawn shop. I replaced them with a set of wires a buddy of mine gave me ... dont even remember the brand name. Never had any more breakage but have stretched some ...since I started using Puresound equalizers, Ive not had that problem....I use the 12 strand...6 strands on each side of the open space in the middle. Love Em
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!