Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's Your Inspiration?

User Info Menu

Post Who's Your Inspiration?

Kurt Cobain/Nirvana is mainly my inspiration.

Don't know what it is but... I think it's the fact on how he came from practically nothing to a Legend.

I know Kurt didn't do drums but how he done what he did...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Who's Your Inspiration?

Everyone is. I suppose the typical answer is to say there's one exceptional drummer that inspired me, but really all the drummers both here and everywhere else together all contributed something else to drumming. They take their own individual ideas and blend them into their style, and it inspires and influences the people that listen to them.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I was inspired to start playing music by Billie Joe Armstrong, of Green Day. He inspired me to play guitar, and write my own songs. I've been writing a lot with my band lately and he helped shape the way I write music. He was my first real rock hero.
    Last edited by jordison515; 07-01-2011 at 09:46 PM.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

I started playing because of Lars Ulrich. I still think he is an underrated drummer. Yeah he doesn't do fast technical fills or play solid 32nd notes but he works for Metallica.

*grabs fire proof suit*
    Who would have come up with something better? Lol

User Info Menu

Ringo Starr

User Info Menu

Tommy Lee and Alex VanHalen

User Info Menu

Ringo Starr... I love Beatles.

I agree with you Xoferif09, I’m not a big Metallica fan but I have to admit, Lars Ulrich is top notch.

Jordison515... I haven’t listened to Green Day in AGES !! I enjoy their music. What kind of music do you play in your band? How long you been playing guitar?

I’ve heard of Tommy Lee before, never knew who he was though. Just searched him up and must listen to them. Alex Van Halen, I don’t listen to Van Halen but again... I’ll have to start doing so.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jr. View Post
    Ringo Starr... I love Beatles.

I agree with you Xoferif09, I’m not a big Metallica fan but I have to admit, Lars Ulrich is top notch.

Jordison515... I haven’t listened to Green Day in AGES !! I enjoy their music. What kind of music do you play in your band? How long you been playing guitar?

I’ve heard of Tommy Lee before, never knew who he was though. Just searched him up and must listen to them. Alex Van Halen, I don’t listen to Van Halen but again... I’ll have to start doing so.
    We play metal. You can hear our stuff at: reverbnation.com/allihave The stuff we have on there isn't what made the final cut, however. Fate did, but it's faster.
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

I was just wondering why the link wouldn't work, and then I realised that it keeps the drumchat.com in the address bar.
    Doesn't sound too bad actually... I'm listening to Fate - FULL DRUM TRACK, and I quite like it.

User Info Menu

My inspiration is Drummer. He's my hero!

Seriously, my inspirations are all over the map. Some inspire me for one reason, and others inspire me for other reasons. I have a drum teacher who has also become a good friend. She inspires me because of what she has had to overcome in her career, what she has accomplished, how great she plays, and what a down to earth person she is.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The drummer that impacted my playing the most was "Ronnie Tutt" ...who worked for Elvis Presley's TCB band. The man could play any style of music and play it with so much taste...his dynamics were world class and his style was unmistakable. Dave Weckl blows my mind...and I guess my favorite at this stage of my life is Carter Beauford. The man dominates the stage, always has a free and easy smile on his face ( hard to fake a smile like has...and who wouldnt smile if you could play at his level and play with the band he gets to work with all the time ..make any drummer smile ).

Hey, I know this aint supposed to be a Novel but well, it might get published and then I would be rich and famous...unlike now as Im unrich and infamous?
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

Larrysperf Guest

Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich, and way to many to list

User Info Menu

It varies. I've had my Phil Rudd phase, my Stewart Copeland phase, my Neil Peart phase, my Jeff Porcaro phase, my Ringo and Charlie Watts phase, my Manu Katché phase, my Bill Bruford phase....and it goes on and on. Who am I listening to this week or month?

Jon Farriss with INXS:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0x3H_SvDY0&feature=player_detailpage"]YouTube - ‪INXS - Black & white‬‏[/ame]

Jaki Liebezeit with Can:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyJzv4AFZXc"]YouTube - ‪One More Night - Can‬‏[/ame]

Vinnie Colauita with Chick Corea: (watch the 1:15 mark where he puts out his cigarette, lol)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk9al9JksSE&feature=player_detailpage"]YouTube - ‪Vinnie Colaiuta John Patitucci w/ Chick Corea‬‏[/ame]

Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart and his Global Drum Project:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omLJdiUTpR8&feature=player_detailpage"]YouTube - ‪Global Drum Project - Baba‬‏[/ame]
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

for the moment its charlie watts and the stones, and roxy music, just because.

also p-ndo-a steve coleman and the five elements station,
    alan holdsworth and chick corea for there inventiveness, essentially the guys who write killer tunes for killer drummer's.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Steve Gadd. Not very original of me I know.

John

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Who's Your Inspiration?

Brian Bennett was my main inspiration to start playing drums, although i guess the late Tony Meehan must have also inspired me because as many will know, he was the original 'Shadows' drummer..........and a fine player also

User Info Menu

Nicko McBrain

Nuff said.

Soul Wanderer
    Skald
    Vǫlva

User Info Menu

My Father. As a kid, he wanted to play drums, but because it was the Depression, he wasn't able live his dreams. so, he AWAYS supported amd encouraged me in mine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdrummer View Post
    Brian Bennett was my main inspiration to start playing drums, although i guess the late Tony Meehan must have also inspired me because as many will know, he was the original 'Shadows' drummer..........and a fine player also
    Welcome to dc shadow!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shadowdrummer View Post
    An awesome awesome player. I've still got on vinyl "Geronimo": The Shadows 20 Smash Hits, that I used to play along with as a younger player. It was a record I found in my folks record collection, played it to death trying to get those snare rolls, floor tom patterns and cymbal flourishes on songs like "FBI", "Apache", "Kon Tiki" etc. That sits next Boz Scaggs, Paul Simon's "Gracelands", The Skatalites and The Patti Smith Group's "Radio Ethiopia" in my vinyl collection.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I was first inspired by Gene Krupa, along with Buddy Rich and Joe Morello. I was rudimentally inspired by Frank Arsenault, who was a World Class Champion in the Rudimental Drum. I had the opportunity to take a clinic with Frank and that is all it took!
    Pearl Vision: 8", 10", 12", 16", 22x18, 14x5.5
    Paiste, Zildjian, Sabian
    Slingerland Snare 14x5.5

User Info Menu

I guess my inspiration to want to start playing the drums started way back when Rush came onto the music scene. Who doesn't want to play the drums like Neil Peart plays the drums? There are others of course, but he inspired me the most drumming wise.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

I'm inspired by so many drummers...John Bonham, Bill Bruford, Danny Carey, Carter Beauford, Chad Sexton, Steve Judd, Gavin Harrison, Chad Smith...the list goes on. But musically my greatest inspiration is probably Rush. Not just Neil but the whole band. In the 40 years they've been around, they've created some truly incredible music.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Ringo Starr, Charlie Watts, Buddy Rich, Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, Hank Williams, John Fogerty, Mark Farner, Doug Clifford, Don Brewer, Roger Daltry, Billy Gibbons, Frank Beard, Merle Haggard, Butch Trucks, Elvin Jones, Bill Stewart, Hal Blaine, Mickey Dolenz, David Gilmour, Mitch Mitchell, Ginger Baker, Phil Collins, Diana Ross, Dwight Yoakam, Don Henley, Paul Simon, Gordon Lightfoot, Alice Cooper, Freddie Mercury, Sandy Nelson, Brian Willson, Peter Noone, David Bowie, Dave Clark, John Bonham, Nick Mason, Keith Moon, Stuart Copeland,

to name a few!

all the best...

User Info Menu

lars ulrich is totally awesome