Thread: Advice

User Info Menu

Question Advice

k so i'm a Rock Drummer at heart. But i started venturing out into the Latin World of Music. Now i'm not sure if i really want to go out into this yet so take that into consideration. So I did some research and using some drum gear i'm not currently using i setup a little Latin Rig on a sing cymbal stand. It includes a

LP Micro Snare (Snares Off to use as a Timbale)
    LP Red Jam Block
    LP Cyclops Tambourine (Mountable)
    And LP LiL Ridge Rider Cowbell

Now keep in mind that when i purchased these things they were menant to be used on my drum kit but i took them off gradually so yeah heres my thing

Are these good instruments to start out with.
    If I do start to like this Latin thing wut wud be a good upgrade.

Click the Green Box link for the pic

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/imperialstar15/5906378590/lightbox/"]IMG_0347 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5311/5906378590_3875cc5d44_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@5906378590@ @AMEPARAM@@3875cc5d44[/ame]

Thnx
    Last edited by imperialstar15; 07-05-2011 at 03:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Advice

You should probably first decide how you want to do this. You don't need the all the extra percussion stuff to apply Latin playing to drumset. Or perhaps you're primarily interested in the different instruments and playing them authentically. Once you decide on that, we can advise further.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Advice

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    You should probably first decide how you want to do this. You don't need the all the extra percussion stuff to apply Latin playing to drumset. Or perhaps you're primarily interested in the different instruments and playing them authentically. Once you decide on that, we can advise further.
    Well yeah I planned not to apply them to the drumset. and just use them all together just the micro snare, cowbell, jam block, and tambourine. nothing else Like a percussion set
    Last edited by imperialstar15; 07-05-2011 at 02:31 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Advice

Hey, IS, sounds like you want to add a Latin flavor to your kit playing, and all of those items can fit in nicely. You can look up Latin rhythms in drum books, or, of course, with the lessons @ DrumBum. If you decide to go to hand drums, they can be added on the side where they can be played by hand or --sigh!!!-- with mallets. I don't recommend playing any hand drums with drum sticks unless you like replacing bongo heads...

Start with what you have and go from there!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck