Thread: Tom overtones are killing me!

User Info Menu

Default Tom overtones are killing me!

I have a gretsch catalina club jazz.

Have tried G1s, G2s, powerstroke 3, ambassadors,
    Current - suede emperors(i like them best so far)
    Res heads are stock

12 inch tom - It just kinda sounds dead, it tunes pretty easy for the most part, but just wont sustain. Moon Gel kills the little bit of overtones that bother me, it just doesnt open up much.

14 inch floor tom - I can get a nice open sound, but when it sounds open, i get these weird overtones that are the 4th and sometimes the 5th of the fundamental tone of the drum. Moon Gels dont kill this either, it just makes the drum more muffled. I can't seem to get it out. It only sounds good when i tune it super high with ambassadors for a jazz sound(i dont play jazz)

I have a pretty good ear and i've had a few drummer friends try to tune it, i've tried all different intervals and the same pitch and i still have this issue. I have successfully tuned, dw's, ludwigs, yamahas, pdp's and ever other gretsches to my liking, but mine just has something funky

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom overtones are killing me!

Quote Originally Posted by thepilgrimsdream View Post

Have tried G1s, G2s, powerstroke 3, ambassadors,
    Current - suede emperors(i like them best so far)
    Res heads are stock

12 inch tom - It just kinda sounds dead, it tunes pretty easy for the most part, but just wont sustain. Moon Gel kills the little bit of overtones that bother me, it just doesnt open up much.

14 inch floor tom - I can get a nice open sound, but when it sounds open, i get these weird overtones that are the 4th and sometimes the 5th of the fundamental tone of the drum. Moon Gels dont kill this either, it just makes the drum more muffled. I can't seem to get it out. It only sounds good when i tune it super high with ambassadors for a jazz sound(i dont play jazz)

I have a pretty good ear and i've had a few drummer friends try to tune it, i've tried all different intervals and the same pitch and i still have this issue. I have successfully tuned, dw's, ludwigs, yamahas, pdp's and ever other gretsches to my liking, but mine just has something funky
    Question: Do you play with ear protection in? Everything about a drum set sounds better when the noise levels are reduced.

Buy new reso heads! You said they were stock! That's why. If you can't afford it, loosen up the reso on the 12 until you get the sound you want. I'd suggest the same for the 14 but i don't see how a moongel would muffle the drum.

Also: What size room are you in, approximately?
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Yeah personally, I would ditch the reso heads. If you can't afford replacements, you might actually be better off without the stocks on at all. I think they are messing with your tuning, sound, and especially overtones. Do you have any kind of rings you could put on top temporarily? I would also not tune quite so high, as the lower tunings in my experience tend to ring out a bit less and I have an easier time controlling them.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

i think i might have figured out the problem

(i dont play jazz)

User Info Menu

Whenever there is an overtone problem, I immediately recommend checking out the reso heads. Even if you use your stock ones, make sure to even out the pitches coming from the reso head, and even experiment with how high you tune it. Tune your reso to as low as possible with resonance, and keep tuning it up with 1/8 turns, and check your tom's sound each time. You will hear the subtle changes in your drum, and hopefully you can find the sound you want.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

I'm not sure of your tuning methods. But I' start with new resos. Then make sure all your lugs are equally tuned. I get ringy overtones when one or two lugs back off on my batter side. I also tighten my reso slightly more than my batter. I currently have clear Remo Pins on the batter and clear Remo Emperors on the reso side. Makes a nice tone after tuned up.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Ok, someone gave me a $30 gift certificate for sam ash. clear ambassadors seem like a good investment? Or emperors.

User Info Menu

as others have said ditch those resos ive had the same issue until i put something thicker on, presently iam using genera ec2 coated batter and coated ambassadors for my resonant.

tune the top as low as you can without it going dead, tune the resonant the same way and then experiment with tweaking the reso 1/8 turns until you find the sweet spot.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Ok, someone gave me a $30 gift certificate for sam ash. clear ambassadors seem like a good investment? Or emperors.
    For the reso heads definitely clear ambassadors/G1's.
    Matt

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, People have always told me that resonant heads dont make much difference, but i guess there wrong. I'm going with the clear ambassadors. Evans always sounded a little plasticy to me. Stickin with remo

User Info Menu

I guess you have to experiment with different heads before you find the right ones. I am currently using EC2/EC reso and very please with sound no overtones.

User Info Menu

I find most 'overtone' problems come from tuning of the reso. Sure your stock resos are likely not great, but it could be just over-tuning of reso. I also find some folks just do not like much of any resonance in their drums and view it as a 'bad overtone', so it may be your ear or tastes with the drum set you have. in other words the Catalina jazz may just not be suited to your ears and taste.

User Info Menu

Nah, the fundamental pitch of the drum dies, and these nasty overtones come off it.
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz
    PDP Woody
    Zildjian A customs

User Info Menu

tuning a 13 tom can be a test in patience.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    tuning a 13 tom can be a test in patience.
    You tune a 13 the same way you tune every other tom.

User Info Menu

Nah, the fundamental pitch of the drum dies, and these nasty overtones come off it.
    Definately your reso.

User Info Menu

I got the clear ambassadors. They tune like dream. My top heads dont. I found tuning them to the same pitch gives off horrible overtones. I have the Batter tuned to one pitch, and i have the resonant tuned a major 6th above, odd interval, but it seems to be what works best so far
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz
    PDP Woody
    Zildjian A customs

User Info Menu

I got the clear ambassadors. They tune like dream. My top heads dont. I found tuning them to the same pitch gives off horrible overtones. I have the Batter tuned to one pitch, and i have the resonant tuned a major 6th above, odd interval, but it seems to be what works best so far
    sounds about right.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

How is the drum's sustain when you hold it up vs. when it's mounted? Sometime mounts affect the amount of resonance the drum can give. If that is the case, I don't know a good remedy for that.

User Info Menu

At one point I played and tuned around on a Catalina Club. This wasn't the ringiest kit out there, so i'm not sure why you're having issues with overtones at all. Tried out a number of heads on them due to availability. I found pinstripes worked real well for the rack tom, and clear g2's were more than satisfactory for the two floor toms, a 16 and an 18. You could try pinstripes on all of them if you like, or you can stick with a classic g2 or emperor for batter. Either one should do the job just fine. I will tell you that in my experience I spent a little longer tuning them as they were one of my first kits.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Would you consider the Aquarian II ( oil between the layers ) with the reso you bought ? Also like " areFish " idea about trying them off the mounts and comparing sounds but as stated that would be an experiment in itself.
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

The Catalina Club Jazz is mahogany, which i think is a lot more subject to overtones than birch or maple
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz
    PDP Woody
    Zildjian A customs

User Info Menu

It only sounds good when i tune it super high with ambassadors for a jazz sound(i dont play jazz)

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    i think i might have figured out the problem
    That's kinda what I was thinking. LOL
    Signature here

User Info Menu

moon gels may be too much. I use thin weather seals foam rubber sound control dots that I make my self. I have to determine by ear, which area of the head is in dis harmony. The drum shell may be the culprit & experimenting in heads may help ?