Thread: Video Taping Your Playing.

User Info Menu

Default Video Taping Your Playing.

Well, I thought I'd give it a try with my webcam, I knew I was off tonight, but geez! I stink!

I Was having a heck of a time settling in. Just couldn't get in the pocket. I tried to ignore the fact I was taping myself, but I would freeze, forget notes, go left when I should have went right, I was a mess! I guess it's a form of video jitters. couldn't shake it. I think I'm just tired...

Do any of you have problems shooting video of yourself playing?

What I was really wanting to do was post a video to get some advice on drum tones from my kit. Just some feedback on how it sounds. I'll get one up, maybe tomorrow night.

I'll be using my webcam and my snowball mic. It recorded the sound pretty well, not great but decent.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Default Re: Video Taping Your Playing.

Oh yeah, when I know I'm filming myself play, I suddenly can't play as good as I normally can. It sucks when I try to film myself playing a song which I KNOW I can play when I'm not filming... lol
    - Zack

User Info Menu

The pressure can get to you if you let it. You have to detach yourself from the rest of the world, and just play through your own heart and soul. It's best to just forget the camera is there, forget the person filming, and try to think only of the song, your playing, or some other happy thought.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I was going to say what Russ said. Set it up and forget about it.

Remember, you can always erase and start over.

One last thing, if you just had cabbage and some beer, just play louder.

User Info Menu

I've never videotaped myself, but recording drum tracks where I HAVE to be on point I have no problem with. Just be confident in your abilities jafo!
    So itchie, how did the kick sound?
    Quote Originally Posted by itchie
    like godzilla humping a mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    You, my friend, owe me a keyboard... I just spit coffee all over mine...
    Get counted! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

Check it.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/allihave

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    The pressure can get to you if you let it. You have to detach yourself from the rest of the world, and just play through your own heart and soul. It's best to just forget the camera is there, forget the person filming, and try to think only of the song, your playing, or some other happy thought.
    If you're like me, then it's pretty hard to forget a camera is there. I'm kinda camera shy and when it comes to filming drum covers, I'm somewhat of a perfectionist so every time I make a small mistake, I gotta get up, stop the current take, and start a new one.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

here im constantly tricking the band into thinking i don't have it recording, to get good takes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    If you're like me, then it's pretty hard to forget a camera is there. I'm kinda camera shy and when it comes to filming drum covers, I'm somewhat of a perfectionist so every time I make a small mistake, I gotta get up, stop the current take, and start a new one.
    +1.

When I'm just jamming away to myself or practising, a small mistake is just ignored and I crack on. But when I'm taping it for others to view (especially other drummers!), every little mistake is a blown take and I start again. I'll typically take up to ten tries before I'm happy with the recording, and of course the pressure starts to come in as you REALLY don't want to miss that fill again

I also can't record myself when there are others in the house. I don't really know why, it doesn't make any sense. It's not like it's any louder or they even know what I'm doing. In fact it's probably better sounding than a usual practise as I won't record something till I've pretty much nailed it, whereas trying to learn a song must sound pretty horrendous sometimes.
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

Man its like all you guys were there! All that stuff happened accept the beer and cabbage, it was Coke and Cashews! Same affect! That's the secret to my triplets on the bass......sshhhhh!
    I can play just a drum beat, you know, no song cover just playing. But it got so bad, I couldn't play one of my beats, foot wouldn't keep up and off time. Then I just couldn't decide on a beat to go with. I kept repeating fills, it was just awful. Then I had this nervous twitch in my right arm and would sneak and extra beat in on the hats. It was a disaster!

I think a lot of it was me being tired. Alittle more was first time jitters and the rest was I just plain sucked lastnight.

Thanks for the support. I'll give it another shot tonight.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Oh nah it's not that bad. Just keep your eyes on your drums and the other members of the band if you're recording a group track. Just let all your other cares and worries float away into another world, another part of your atmosphere until it's time to stop. It's kind of like how Sumo wrestlers have to seperate their physical world from their mental one, it's a skill but that doesn't mean it can't be done. And if it's possible, than anyone can learn it.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jafo View Post
    Man its like all you guys were there! All that stuff happened accept the beer and cabbage, it was Coke and Cashews! Same affect! That's the secret to my triplets on the bass......sshhhhh!
    I can play just a drum beat, you know, no song cover just playing. But it got so bad, I couldn't play one of my beats, foot wouldn't keep up and off time. Then I just couldn't decide on a beat to go with. I kept repeating fills, it was just awful. Then I had this nervous twitch in my right arm and would sneak and extra beat in on the hats. It was a disaster!

I think a lot of it was me being tired. Alittle more was first time jitters and the rest was I just plain sucked lastnight.

Thanks for the support. I'll give it another shot tonight.
    Were you playing to a song or just "jamming"? I find that I don't do that well just "jamming" because it's not something I ever do or practice. I don't do drum solos anymore, etc... so I find I also overthink what I'm doing.

When I play with musicians or to a song, it's totally different because I'm "playing the song".

Just my 2 cents.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Were you playing to a song or just "jamming"? I find that I don't do that well just "jamming" because it's not something I ever do or practice. I don't do drum solos anymore, etc... so I find I also overthink what I'm doing.

When I play with musicians or to a song, it's totally different because I'm "playing the song".

Just my 2 cents.
    I agree KO. I've certainly done the multitake video sessions, but I did a video when I was just jamming with my brother (with him on bass), and everything seemd to flow more smoothly.

Oh, and jafo, I've had nights when I finally gave up and hoped tomorrow would be better too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I gotta wait til things kinda settle in around here before I try this video thing again.

I have a German Shephard, he's 12 yrs. old. He's been having trouble this week acting wierd. Went to the vet with hime because his abdomen area was swelled. Found out this morning he has a softball size cyst. So they had to cut him to find out if they could remove it or not. Turns out they can remove it, and chances are he should be ok. But now I gotta figure out how to pay the bill! Dang it never ends!

Any how, It just adds more stress. So I'm going to wait till things kinda play out then I'll get back to it.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride

User Info Menu

That's very unfortunate to hear Jafo, but i'm glad to hear there's hope of a safe recovery for your furry friend of 12 years! Sometimes priorities can be a pain, but worth it in the end. Hope it all works out for you and things return to normal, before too long.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments