Thread: Cleaning wrapped shells and bass drum tuning

User Info Menu

Default Cleaning wrapped shells and bass drum tuning

Hey guys, it's been a while how is everybody? Well I have finally decided this summer to restore an old premier kit I have to use as a practice kit (pictures are here http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...07.html?t=8807).

At the moment I have disassembled all the metal hardware and cleaned with brasso as well as lightly cleaned the shells with a basic surface cleaner. I have also re-painted the hoops.

I was first wondering how people clean their shells as particulaly on the wrap there is still some grime I am stuggling to get off. I also want to clean the inside wood of the shells better, I used a wet cloth but there are still some marks.

My second question is with bass drum tuning. I have ordered pre international heads for the 12 and 16 inch toms but am using standard 20 innch heads for the bass drum (aquarian force 1 on batter and force 2 on the reso). There is a slight gap due to the size changes and am a bit scared that over-tightening could damage the hoops, am I right to be worried? I have put them on both heads and have a reasonable sound but how can I get that extra punch? How tight should the heads be and am I right in thinking the reso should be tighter (or should I try to match them for the best sound?)

Cheers!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cleaning wrapped shells and bass drum tuning

do not use an ammonia based cleaner on the wraps. soap and water on a damp cloth.as for the bass, tune untill the wrinkles are gone. i tried tuning one of my bass drums up high just to hear it and i almost threw up. i also tried tuning the reso higher and same result, upset stomach. how much of a gap are we talking?