Thread: How far would you drive 4 band rehearsal?

User Info Menu

Default How far would you drive 4 band rehearsal?

I have an opportunity to join a good band (5pc including me) but the audition is almost 60miles away! Seems my local area doesn't have any opportunities and when I was younger I drove far for a band and loved it! Just wonder how many of you found that long distance audition worth it. -- Rich

User Info Menu

Default Re: How far would you drive 4 band rehearsal?

i will say go try it
    if you like the atmosphere and the style of music
    i would say jump now
    how high would you like i jump

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Interesting question. I've had the opportunity to join two bands recently and the problem with both was just this issue. Each of them was about 50 min to an hour drive each way. For me, that is just too far. My max drive time for rehearsal would be about 1/2 hour. Obviously, the closer the better. Everyone is going to have different tolerance levels.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't drive more than 30 minutes... but drumming is also more of a hobby for me at this point. If it was my career, I'm sure I'd have a different answer.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

In my younger days I did an hour each way however, that didn't include set-up and tear down, as the band rented a fully equipped rehearsal studio. Are you going to have to do 2 hours on the road, plus haul gear? then it may get a little tedious but, give it a try, see how it feels for you.

If it's a tight band, with a good group of people, it may well be worth the drive as those seem to be few and far between. Once you get out and start gigging, rehearsals tend to drop off a little too.

User Info Menu

around 40 miles at one time. closest was 5 min that was the life!.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

My max was a 90 minute round trip with gear, twice a week, with a 3 hour practice which proved to be too much (I bailed). I'm currently in a better situation with a 60 minute round trip, no gear and I walk in a play the guitar players drum kit.

User Info Menu

I don't think I'd drive an hour each way unless I knew rehearsals weren't forever. If you still need them after 6 months in the same band, something might be a tad askew.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Takes almost 40 minutes for my singer to get out here from a neighboring town. Thank goodness she does though, she's an amazing singer. Not to mention my girlfriend lives in the same town, so she usually tags along.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

It was about a 40 mile one-way trip with my last band and I was with them about 7 years. Luckily we played a lot. Much more than we practiced.
    Current band practice is about 6-7 miles away. Much better!
    Drumming since 1965 and still going!
    Max Weinberg - "More than any other drummer, Ringo Starr changed my life.
    The impact and memory of that band on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me."

"Sometimes you'd come up against a brick wall... or sometimes you go into a fill and you'd know halfway through it was going to be disastrous."
    John Bonham

www.willieandtheblueshounds.com

User Info Menu

Longest I did was one hour each way to rehearsal. If we had a gig, sometimes I had my kit at home and could go straight there, sometimes I had to pick it up at the rehearsal house, load and go. I always took it home after a gig, then brought it to the rehearsal house next time. Don't know if I'd do it again except for an exceptional opportunity but I can have lots to do within 1/2 hour's drive. Then, I was just starting out of the ole' hometown and this was a popular city band.

Price of gas figures into it, too, these days.

Presently it's 25 minutes to rehearsal one way. There's a cheap set there but I'll usually take my snare and hi-hats in a road case along with water, music binder, sticks, etc.

I think the key is "Carpe Diem". You say there isn't that much opportunity in your locale, so I'd try it and see how I could tolerate it, remembering I was making a conditional commitment to the other guys and they should know. It may have a bearing on whether they want me on those terms or would rather get a guy they know will be steady for a while.

Guess it all depends how badly you want to play. Best of luck and let us know what you decide.

Strider

User Info Menu

about a month ago I got out of a situation where I was doing about 52 miles, some of it in traffic, (amounted to roughly an hour each way, give or take a few minutes) to play for a church's praise band because I really wanted to work with the worship leader. It was definitely a dent in the wallet and a sacrifice on my part. Things changed rapidly after the worship leader decided to take a leave of absence, and I'm no longer part of that situation, but initially this is what it entailed -

Wednesday night I would pack up my gear and get it loaded in my car so that I could take it in to work the following day.

Thursday's, I wouldn't go home from work, because work was only about 15 miles, as opposed to 50+ miles, so I'd grab fast food on the way to the church, get there and get my gear set up for rehearsal. Most of the time I was solid enough that I'd leave my gear between Thursday and Sunday morning, but occasionally I'd tear down and pack up that night if I needed to put in some extra work.

Sunday I'd get up early, drive down, do rehearsal, play the service, then pack up and drive home.

Wash, rinse, repeat. The church ended up buying a set of Yamaha Stage Custom birch drums that I set up really well with good heads and all, but it was still gas, money and time associated with about 600 extra miles a month, plus practice time and time at the church. I didn't realize just how badly it was dominating my life until I left the situation.

I won't do that again - I might do as much as 30 miles/minutes, but I won't ever take on driving an hour each way on top of hauling gear, even if it is for a good cause.

User Info Menu

I only have a 10 minute trip to my guitar players house, all I have to take is my cymbals, stands + snare drum and my old kit is down there. Guess I'm lucky haha
    J-D

User Info Menu

i've never had to travel more than 20mins.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

Larrysperf Guest

I had to drive into the city and 1/2 way across it but it was fun. So all was good. Sorry I live east of city

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I don't think I'd drive an hour each way unless I knew rehearsals weren't forever. If you still need them after 6 months in the same band, something might be a tad askew.
    I'd have to agree, its too far for me too. But this statement intrigues me...are you implying rehearsal not needed after 6 months? ..else or something is wrong with the band if rehearsing that long? I think practice is always needed no matter how tight an act.