Thread: I think I want new cymbals.

User Info Menu

Default I think I want new cymbals.

I think I want some a customs. I like my z customs, but I am starting to play more punk, and might be getting into a folk rock band. - yeah, from metal to folk. hahaha.

So. I would need hats, two crashes, and a ride. At least. I figure I could sell my z customs to help offset the cost, and then buy off of ebay. Although I might keep my dyno beats and get a k custom top. :D

My question is, what ones to get? I know they have projection crashes, and rock crashes and stuff, but really whats the difference? And how pingy are the "ping" rides?

User Info Menu

Default Re: I think I want new cymbals.

I can't help much, but IMO Ping rides are awful. I've had one, really not a good ride. (It was an A Custom) I would say give K Darks a try, maybe even Armands.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

The K/Z combo hats are still pretty darn loud. I eventually got rid of mine, and that's back when I was playing metal.

The Ping rides are pretty pingy. It was used on some of the older Metallica stuff. They don't crash all that well. I've got a real old one, but haven't used it in a while because everything I've played recently requires more crashing than a pingy ride sound. It might actually be good for folk. I know I'd break mine back out if I was playing some folk. Sounds good for punk too, at least to me it does.

If you're playing folk, using rock weight cymbals might be a bit much. They can be overpowering because you've got to put more into them so that they open up, otherwise they'll just be muffled and too low. Projections might work out well for you.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Go to your local music store and play every cymbal they have in the shop, regardless of series/weight/size. I know I'm guilty of assuming that the sound I'm looking for can only be found in ONE particular cymbal, but after playing some different models I find I like other ones even better. Play the different types of rides, see if you actually like ping rides, as they are different sounding than the average medium ride, or rock ride even. Once you find what you are looking for, you could definitely sell your z customs to offset the cost. Assuming you have a pair of z hats, 2 z crashes, and a z ride, I'd say you could get around 350, maybe more for them.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Xoferif09,

I just picked up a set of A Customs and have heard mixed opinions on them. So far I'm very impressed as well as relieved that they meet and exceed my expectations.

I have the same combo you are looking for plus mine came with a 22" heavy duty carry bag for them. It was a hugely good value deal.

I think if you watch one of my Starclassic videos you'll get the hear them even though that wasn't the focus. If you want I can record another video sound demo for you to check out. Let me know your thoughts.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have the same Set of A Customs that Bish had. I LOVE them. I sometimes make crappy demo recordings with my set with nothing but a Beta58 sitting in the middle of the room and the cymbals still sound incredible in those.

Great, great cymbals. Other than a Sand Ride, I can't imagine needing different cymbals.
    Kits:
    -C&C Player Date 13/16/22
    -65' Ludwig Super Classic 13/16/22

Snares:
    -DW Nickel Over Brass 6.5x14 snare
    -Ludwig Black Galaxy Acrolite 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 65' Super Classic 5x14 snare
    -Ludwig 64' Pioneer 5x14 snare
    -PDP Classic Wood hoop 6x14 snare

Rides:
    -Zildjian 22" Constantinople
    -Zildjian 22" Kerope
    -Zildjian 20" Constantinople
    Hats:
    -17" A Medium crash over K custom dark crash

-DW 9000 pedals

User Info Menu

im currently playing a combination of A customs and Z customs ..most versatile set iv ever owned

soon im hopefully getting a set of 15" A customs mastersounds to replace the projection hats and a 24" ride

User Info Menu

Ever since I bought my crash of doom I've been branching out to different lines of zildjians. However I have a feeling I'll always have an 18" A custom fast crash on my kit, and probably always an 8" A Custom splash.

I love the A Custom line. They're darker than the A series, and brighter than Ks. Slightly less musical (less distinct overtones) than Zs. Really, they're a great middle ground, multi purpose cymbal.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    I can't help much, but IMO Ping rides are awful. I've had one, really not a good ride. (It was an A Custom) I would say give K Darks a try, maybe even Armands.
    Yeah I agree give K darks a try now that is a nice ride. I've played one of those before, gives out a nice bright ping.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

I play a 20" A Custom ping and I love it. I wish the bell was a little bigger but I think it sounds great. It is absolutely horrible for crashing...so I use crashes for that. But if you want a ride with little to no wash then this will do the trick.

I also use 13" A Custom mastersound hats and they are awesome!

User Info Menu

i am a zildjian snob. meaning i don't buy other brands. i have had access to all of them when i worked at GC and can say all companies make good products, but i have always liked zildjians.
    my a custom set up was 14" hats, 16, 17, and 18" crashes and a 20" ride. they were very bright, very loud. most of the gigs i was playing back then were unmiked rock cover shows and they worked very well. i did not like them in the studio. for me they were way to loud. but that's me. i decided to get rid of them, again that's just me. they are fine cymbals.
    the only z custom i have had experience with is a 20" z custom power ride that got back in the late 80's and still own. it's basically a gong on a boom stand. it will cut through anything and if you crash it the song better have a 10 bar rest where the sound can fade out or that things going to be ringing in the background.
    the set of cymbals i have used the most in my 25+ years is a set of a zildjians that keeps adding and losing players. some a's and some k custom darks. currently i have 18" medium and medium thin crashes, a 16" medium thin crash, 14" mastersound hats (selling my 13" new beat/quick beats as we speak), and a 20" medium ride. i am buying a 20 or 22" k custom dark ride and a few k cst dark crashes in the next few weeks. this line up of a and k produces a wide range of sounds so i can play a wide range of music.
    the best advice i could give is do not stick to one line. mix and match sounds you like. go to a shop that has an array of cymbals and try them out. find sounds you like and that play well together. and then make your purchases. you can find some amazing deals on line (retailers and ebay). if you want the most vesatility stay in the regular a line. they have heavy to light cymabls and can offer you the best middle of the road to go from rock to folk. i think the a customs can do the same just not as well. and the a custom projection crashes can tear someones face off they are so loud so those would be rock only imo. same with a cst rock crashes. a cst ping rides sound horrible to me but i like the a pings. i say if you go a cst. again go middle of the road unless you decide you are playing one style of music only. go to the zildjian site they have sound files you can listen to. that might help as well.
    Last edited by jrt30004; 08-16-2011 at 09:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the thoughts guys.it's not really true folk, from what I've heard. It definitely has strong rock roots. Thats why I thought of the a customs. Plus I figured they would work well across genres of music. Ill have more thoughts after work. Cheers!

User Info Menu

Well, do any of you guys use the Armands or regular A's? I really don't have much to play on around here. To get to play on much of anything, I would have to order it, and then buy it first.

I did get to try an A Zildjian ride today though. It did sound good, but it wasn't what I wanted. It was too washy. I want better stick definition than that. Any help?

User Info Menu

Look for a rock ride, or even a sabian raw bell dry ride. These will have less wash and more ping, in addition to a powerful bell.
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar