Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: **OFFICIAL best drum kit all budgets discussion**

User Info Menu

Talking **OFFICIAL great drum kits for all budgets discussion**

I thought it would be cool to actually get a thread of this for people who are looking at getting a new kit, we all know how frustraiting this process can be so lets get this going. Obviously we all have different taste so say why you like them and for what music style you think they would be sorted to, Lets include the Shells, the snare, the hardware and anything else you guys think would be helpfull for someone getting a new kit.

Obviously these are just my opinion and we all have our own so lest get it started:

Best budget/starter kit up to £200 - Cannon adder (great starter kit good build quality for price)

Best intermediate kit up to £ 650 - mepex meridian maple/ pdp m5 ( great tones from both of these kits i have heard them in most music genres but i think they shine in r&b/pop rock, the snares on these kits are a little to high end for my liking but still nice, and no complaints with the hardware)

best semi-pro kit up to £950 - sonor select/essential force/ pearl vmx or gretsch renown (great for all kinds of genres amazing musical tones from the sonor, the snare on the pearl is stunning for the price, and the hardware as to be won by the gretsch)

Best AFFORDABLE pro Kit £1200 - £2000 - DW Performance seriese/ Mapex Black panther blaster/velvetone (amazing kits for there price, totally different the mapex are a little more musical but the dw's have a great punch any genre, every thing about these kits are stunning, the hardware on the dw is very strong and the snare on the mapex is very musical maybe not to some peoples liking but it is stunning to my ears haha)

Best high end pro Kit - £2000+ - DW Collecters series/ Brady Kits (anyone who can afford to get these i would say what are you waiting for haha)

theres my 2 cents guys whats yours would be great for everyone to give there views

hope they make this a sticky
    Last edited by TygerPax; 08-22-2011 at 02:28 PM.
    To become a great drummer first you must be humble enough to learn

My set up

Mapex Meridian Birch - Transparent Walnut

20x22 Bass
    10x7 & 12x8 Rack
    14x12 & 16x14 Floor

Chad Smith signature Snare

User Info Menu

Default Re: **OFFICIAL best drum kit all budgets discussion**

i gotta add the yamaha recording custom for PRO KITS

My set up

20x22 Bass
    10x7 & 12x8 Rack
    14x12 & 16x14 Floor

User Info Menu

Cool thread. It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge about the matter. I'd like to add the Gretsch Catalina series to the intermediate kits. The kit sounds really awesome for the price.
    Gretsch Catalina ash kit
    Pork Pie Big Black Brass snare
    Paiste Alpha Cymbals
    Stock hardware and pedal. Vic Firth 5B sticks.

User Info Menu

I know a lot of people rag about these, but I think a Sound Percussion, would be a good starter kit......
    And a good intermediate kit would be the Yamaha Gigmaker

excuse me if these should be in a defferent category as i
    do not know how euros match up with dollars

User Info Menu

My only problem with price to budget guides(not saying we don't need them, I think it's a fantastic idea). There are too many omitted details left out of this one, like why exactly you chose that particular kit for that particular price bracket. What is it about that kit that gives it a "best" rating? Sorry but i'm a critic/reviewer for another type of product elsewhere so I like to not only see how something scores in a few different categories, but what you have to say about it that makes it stand out and earn the esteemed rating. First you could list four price point considerations, and under each you could put a few categories for each kit. Could give it a score, and then discuss your feelings on each category seperately. Here's an example of how i'd do it:

[Entry level]
    (Pearl Forum)

Quality- 5/10. Kit was packaged well, nothing broken on delivery, which of course would be an indicator to me of a good company to do business with in the future. Lugs look new, the inserts accepted the rods perfectly and I felt it was easy to tune. The shells appeared to be round and laid flat on the table, indicating good bearing edges. No dust, scratches, discolorations, or other errors evident from factory. Hardware appears solid as well, which makes me feel confident about using it for years to come.

Look- 6/10. Well, it looks new so everything is understandably shiny. Shells came finished in a deep gloss lacquer, which has a rich captivating white. I'm a fan of paints as well as natural stains, so I definitely dig on the simplicity. Lugs are Pearl's classic bridge style lugs, simple but a proven winner to all their customers. They used a white reso head, which I felt for the finish worked well cosmetically. There's nothing on the kit that will distract my eyes, I love how I feel like I can just sit down and get right into it and play. They did do a good job with the overall aesthetic of this series, that's for sure.

Value- 4/10. It's kind of expensive for what you get, but it is a good solid kit. Pearl for some unknown reason thought it would just be the best marketing move in the world to price this in the upper $500-$600 range, maybe to make you think it's a lot better than it is. I didn't score it well here because it's a little pricey for an entry level design, but it is a worthwhile investment, a kit you could have for many years if you treat it correctly. Sturdy included hardware sweetened the deal, got some free cymbals along with it, tuning key, a dvd, some mags, and a lesson book were included in the box. The extras were nice, but the reason why it doesn't do well here is because there are higher end kits from competitive manufacturers in the same price range. It's about how they marketed it.

Sound- 6/10. Can't complain at all here. As with most kits I would not recommend keeping the stock heads very long, I consider them to be less quality than a beginner deserves. The kit can still sound pretty good with the stock heads, but I would change them out at your first oppurtunity to get the most out of your forums. The sound you ask? Poplar is a close sound relative to maple, so I was really feeling a warm but almost bright tonality, which really wasn't a bad thing. At the time I was still learning how to tune and I was also playing jazz and pop music, so higher tunings were what I ended up with most the time. I don't think they have too much sustain or overtones, especially if you tune the top and bottom heads fairly close to each other you should avoid any problems with them. All in all I liked hearing and playing them, although they were kind of loud in my opinion.
    Last edited by Russ; 08-22-2011 at 12:25 PM.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar36023 View Post
    Cool thread. It sounds like you have a lot of knowledge about the matter. I'd like to add the Gretsch Catalina series to the intermediate kits. The kit sounds really awesome for the price.
    haha thanks man im a bit of a novice these are just some of the bast kits for those prices ive seen thanks tho

My set up

20x22 Bass
    10x7 & 12x8 Rack
    14x12 & 16x14 Floor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ty7177 View Post
    I know a lot of people rag about these, but I think a Sound Percussion, would be a good starter kit......
    And a good intermediate kit would be the Yamaha Gigmaker

excuse me if these should be in a defferent category as i
    do not know how euros match up with dollars
    haha no probs man nice input tho

My set up

20x22 Bass
    10x7 & 12x8 Rack
    14x12 & 16x14 Floor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    My only problem with price to budget guides(not saying we don't need them, I think it's a fantastic idea). There are too many omitted details left out of this one, like why exactly you chose that particular kit for that particular price bracket. What is it about that kit that gives it a "best" rating? Sorry but i'm a critic/reviewer for another type of product elsewhere so I like to not only see how something scores in a few different categories, but what you have to say about it that makes it stand out and earn the esteemed rating. First you could list four price point considerations, and under each you could put a few categories for each kit. Could give it a score, and then discuss your feelings on each category seperately. Here's an example of how i'd do it:

[Entry level]
    (Pearl Forum)

Quality- 5/10. Kit was packaged well, nothing broken on delivery, which of course would be an indicator to me of a good company to do business with in the future. Lugs look new, the inserts accepted the rods perfectly and I felt it was easy to tune. The shells appeared to be round and laid flat on the table, indicating good bearing edges. No dust, scratches, discolorations, or other errors evident from factory. Hardware appears solid as well, which makes me feel confident about using it for years to come.

Look- 6/10. Well, it looks new so everything is understandably shiny. Shells came finished in a deep gloss lacquer, which has a rich captivating white. I'm a fan of paints as well as natural stains, so I definitely dig on the simplicity. Lugs are Pearl's classic bridge style lugs, simple but a proven winner to all their customers. They used a white reso head, which I felt for the finish worked well cosmetically. There's nothing on the kit that will distract my eyes, I love how I feel like I can just sit down and get right into it and play. They did do a good job with the overall aesthetic of this series, that's for sure.

Value- 4/10. It's kind of expensive for what you get, but it is a good solid kit. Pearl for some unknown reason thought it would just be the best marketing move in the world to price this in the upper $500-$600 range, maybe to make you think it's a lot better than it is. I didn't score it well here because it's a little pricey for an entry level design, but it is a worthwhile investment, a kit you could have for many years if you treat it correctly. Sturdy included hardware sweetened the deal, got some free cymbals along with it, tuning key, a dvd, some mags, and a lesson book were included in the box. The extras were nice, but the reason why it doesn't do well here is because there are higher end kits from competitive manufacturers in the same price range. It's about how they marketed it.

Sound- 6/10. Can't complain at all here. As with most kits I would not recommend keeping the stock heads very long, I consider them to be less quality than a beginner deserves. The kit can still sound pretty good with the stock heads, but I would change them out at your first oppurtunity to get the most out of your forums. The sound you ask? Poplar is a close sound relative to maple, so I was really feeling a warm but almost bright tonality, which really wasn't a bad thing. At the time I was still learning how to tune and I was also playing jazz and pop music, so higher tunings were what I ended up with most the time. I don't think they have too much sustain or overtones, especially if you tune the top and bottom heads fairly close to each other you should avoid any problems with them. All in all I liked hearing and playing them, although they were kind of loud in my opinion.
    I get what ya sayin man and you are a superior reviewer than me haha but i just like these kits the most for me in my opinioun just wanted others to do the same as everyone has different tastes but nice review of the pearl tho b

My set up

20x22 Bass
    10x7 & 12x8 Rack
    14x12 & 16x14 Floor

User Info Menu

Default Re: **OFFICIAL best drum kit for all budgets discussion**

Quote Originally Posted by TygerPax View Post
    I thought it would be cool to actually get a thread of this for people who are looking at getting a new kit, we all know how frustraiting this process can be so lets get this going. Obviously we all have different taste so say why you like them and for what music style you think they would be sorted to, Lets include the Shells, the snare, the hardware and anything else you guys think would be helpfull for someone getting a new kit.

Obviously these are just my opinion and we all have our own so lest get it started:

Best budget/starter kit up to £200 - Cannon adder (great starter kit good build quality for price)

Best intermediate kit up to £ 650 - mepex meridian maple/ pdp m5 ( great tones from both of these kits i have heard them in most music genres but i think they shine in r&b/pop rock, the snares on these kits are a little to high end for my liking but still nice, and no complaints with the hardware)

best semi-pro kit up to £950 - sonor select/essential force/ pearl vmx or gretsch renown (great for all kinds of genres amazing musical tones from the sonor, the snare on the pearl is stunning for the price, and the hardware as to be won by the gretsch)

Best AFFORDABLE pro Kit £1200 - £2000 - DW Performance seriese/ Mapex Black panther blaster/velvetone (amazing kits for there price, totally different the mapex are a little more musical but the dw's have a great punch any genre, every thing about these kits are stunning, the hardware on the dw is very strong and the snare on the mapex is very musical maybe not to some peoples liking but it is stunning to my ears haha)

Best high end pro Kit - £2000+ - DW Collecters series/ Brady Kits (anyone who can afford to get these i would say what are you waiting for haha)

theres my 2 cents guys whats yours would be great for everyone to give there views

hope they make this a sticky
    I'd suggest editing this down a bit, make it simple:

1. Entry level kits
    2. Mid level kits
    3 High end kits

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post

1. Entry level kits
    2. Mid level kits
    3 High end kits
    welcome to give your choices man be interested to see that

My set up

20x22 Bass
    10x7 & 12x8 Rack
    14x12 & 16x14 Floor

User Info Menu

there ive changed the title from best to great i think that makes more sense

My set up

20x22 Bass
    10x7 & 12x8 Rack
    14x12 & 16x14 Floor

User Info Menu

Default Re: **OFFICIAL great drum kits for all budgets discussion**

Quote Originally Posted by TygerPax View Post
    Last week I saw Music Radar gave this kit a nod for best beginners kit. That was the first time I ever heard of it. Have you had a chance to play this kit?

User Info Menu

ya one of my students has it its really well made well for the price man it doesnt feel tinny or like its gonna break like atot of starters

My set up

20x22 Bass
    10x7 & 12x8 Rack
    14x12 & 16x14 Floor

User Info Menu

I gotta add the silverstar to intermediate my mate got that kit last week and it has turned me into a tama fan, great sound for a great price, the look isn't really to my taste but I can't say n e thing bad bout the build
    Last edited by TygerPax; 08-23-2011 at 09:04 AM.

My set up

20x22 Bass
    10x7 & 12x8 Rack
    14x12 & 16x14 Floor

User Info Menu

You shouldn't feel like you have to change any titles to "great" kits, because that is abandoning your own personal view of what you think is the best kit out there, to please the audience. I would be unbiased, merciless, and unafraid to speak what I believe is best and why. What I was getting at by my post and review of a kit I owned- is you could post reviews of each kit that you think fits into entry mid and high end the best. Keep in mind it's what you yourself believe to be the right fit, but at least with a review you can reinforce and back up why you think it's the best choice for the price point. Still, i'm quite supportive of the idea as I review and score things myself, I just think it could be more effective if executed differently. Maybe somebody could update a thread of best entry/mid/high end drumkits from year to year to keep us updated, because lord knows namm just loves to bring out the good stuff annually and increase the "do want" levels.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

Larrysperf Guest

OK enrty Ludwig INter Kit Ludwig And High End Ludwig OH did I say Ludwig LOL sorry couldnt resist

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    You shouldn't feel like you have to change any titles to "great" kits, because that is abandoning your own personal view of what you think is the best kit out there, to please the audience. I would be unbiased, merciless, and unafraid to speak what I believe is best and why. What I was getting at by my post and review of a kit I owned- is you could post reviews of each kit that you think fits into entry mid and high end the best. Keep in mind it's what you yourself believe to be the right fit, but at least with a review you can reinforce and back up why you think it's the best choice for the price point. Still, i'm quite supportive of the idea as I review and score things myself, I just think it could be more effective if executed differently. Maybe somebody could update a thread of best entry/mid/high end drumkits from year to year to keep us updated, because lord knows namm just loves to bring out the good stuff annually and increase the "do want" levels.
    thanks man i agree

My set up

20x22 Bass
    10x7 & 12x8 Rack
    14x12 & 16x14 Floor

User Info Menu

Pearl Drums
    low end = Forums, Rhythm Traveler

mid = Visions

Pro= MCX, Reference, Reference Pure

High end custom= Masterworks

User Info Menu

Best "Blue Collar Professional Drum Kit"...

DW Performance Series

User Info Menu

Gretsch Renowns are professional drums, not semi-pro. In my opinion, semi pro and intermediate are synonymous. I'd have 4 categories:
    -Beginner(Anything from sound percussion to pearl forum, tama imperialstar, etc..)
    -Intermediate(Pearl visions, gretsch catalinas, mapex meridians, tama superstar/silverstar, etc..)
    -Professional(Tama starclassics, Gretsch Renowns/new classics, Pearl masters/reference, etc..)
    -Exotic(Pearl Masterworks, limited edition kits, custom kits by C&C and other classy manufacturers) ** This one is the toughest because exotic does not necessarily have to equal high end, but it definitely does not entail every beginner kit that has a veneer finish, either.)
    Gretsch - Tama - Pearl - Sabian - Zildjian - Stagg - Evans - Vater - Gibraltar

User Info Menu

Im feeling that this would lead nowhere... Everyone has a bias and therefore they would prefer some brands over others... Its all opinion
    Paiste Alpha 14'' Sound Edge hats
    Paiste Alpha 16'' Medium Crash
    Sabian XS20 14'' Medium-Thin Crash
    Wuhan 16'' China

drummer: Being young is good ... as long as you're also wise
    Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    Then you can use napkins to wipe your hands instead of taping them to your heads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Martinez12 View Post
    Im feeling that this would lead nowhere... Everyone has a bias and therefore they would prefer some brands over others... Its all opinion
    That's Wat the thread is for so new drummers and mabey older drummers can hear of kits they hadn't thought of

My set up

20x22 Bass
    10x7 & 12x8 Rack
    14x12 & 16x14 Floor

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Martinez12 View Post
    So why bother responding if you can't contribute like the rest of us.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post

1. Entry level kits
    2. Mid level kits
    3 High end kits
    That's kind of what the drum makers already do, and it allows for a lot of room to negotiate within those three groups - I think that's why they do it - it makes it easier to push someone into a more expensive product in a given category.

I like the original idea of this thread because does narrow things down a bit more.

Another kit I would like to toss into the mix that is marketed and priced mid level (around $600 US) is the Yamaha Stage Custom Birch. Overall this is a pretty nice setup and the drums sound good. I was drumming for a church and this was my choice when they said they'd buy a kit for the church - it fit their budget, but it offered a lot in terms of quality and sound. In many ways this kit is a lot like its big brother, the Recording Custom. The shells are the same number of plies and thicknesses. They had a nice punchiness to them and didn't sound budget level at all once I put new heads on them.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    That's kind of what the drum makers already do, and it allows for a lot of room to negotiate within those three groups - I think that's why they do it - it makes it easier to push someone into a more expensive product in a given category.

I like the original idea of this thread because does narrow things down a bit more.

Another kit I would like to toss into the mix that is marketed and priced mid level (around $600 US) is the Yamaha Stage Custom Birch. Overall this is a pretty nice setup and the drums sound good. I was drumming for a church and this was my choice when they said they'd buy a kit for the church - it fit their budget, but it offered a lot in terms of quality and sound. In many ways this kit is a lot like its big brother, the Recording Custom. The shells are the same number of plies and thicknesses. They had a nice punchiness to them and didn't sound budget level at all once I put new heads on them.
    Haha thanks for in input man and backing this thread up, the yamaha stage is a great addition although I found them quite hard to get sounding how I want them I don't think there is much range, but if u get there sweet spot they sound amazin

My set up

20x22 Bass
    10x7 & 12x8 Rack
    14x12 & 16x14 Floor