Thread: Seperating hand and foot

TKdrums50 Guest

Default Seperating hand and foot

So i'm having trouble keeping a steady beat on the hi-hat while trying to bass drum with my right foot. Sometimes it seems whatever i want my bass foot to do my right hand has to do the same. Are there any excercises for maintaining that beat on the hi-hat while throwing in some kicks on the bass?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Seperating hand and foot

This is hard to explain besides just saying practice, we have all been through this awkward stage.

Just do a simple 4 count beat not on the set, just use your fingers and tapping your foot. Play the kick on the first count and the snare on the last (remember, were just simulating this with your fingers/hand and foot tapping for now) so it goes 1(kick)...2...3...4(snare)...1(kick)...2...3...4(s nare)...1(kick)...2...3...4(snare)...etc etc

get a metronome and practice at 120bpm until you can keep that beat for a minute, then try it on the real set, by then you should be able to transition form tapping to actual playing without a hitch.
    Last edited by luckypunk; 08-24-2011 at 09:12 AM.
    Yamaha DTX 520k
    Tama Iron Cobra Jr.

User Info Menu

There are book that can help you develop 4 way independence.

Try these :

New Breed by Gary Chester.

4-Way Coordination: A Method Book for the Development of Complete Independence on the Drum Set
    by Marvin Dahlgren

TKdrums50 Guest

Anything that i can look up online?

User Info Menu

Count out loud! It helps. Don't sit there and count in your head, do it out loud. Also, it's a natural progression, it takes practice. Some pick it up faster than others, but not to worry. You will get it, just keep after it and did I mention to count out loud?

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    18" Paiste 3000 RUDE crash/ride

User Info Menu

Count out loud. And slow down. And be deliberate in your strokes.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

besides the suggestions in above posts i would recommend rudiments with the feet and some 4 way independence exercises like cross sticking

TKdrums50 Guest

It might help if i just start counting :/ haha i play mostly by ear so i really don't count at all haha that may help.

User Info Menu

Ive finally started taking my playing more seriously the last couple weeks and counting out loud has made a huge difference to me.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Pull up the Online Metronome and do the same seemingly simple beats for hours at a time. Mix it up with strokes you are better at so you don't lose your will to live. The ones that favor your dominant hand will be easier and you can play faster.

The ones that force your weak hand/foot into action will be painfully slow at first but if you stick with it, you will see enough progress to encourage you to continue.

I just stated playing a double bass set and had to force myself to train my left foot. A couple weeks ago I could barely do simple left, right with the kicks while doing an opposite right, left with the sticks.

The dominant hand wants to follow the dominant foot but after a few hours of mind numbing practice, I'm up to 160BPM (x2) with a goal of 200 (x2).
    Last edited by NewTricks; 08-30-2011 at 07:05 PM.

User Info Menu

I say another good way would be to try triplets sounds hard but it is actualy easy. On the snare 1( right) - 1 ( left) and 1 right foot bass. So it will sound like this ta ta boom and try to speed it up a little then try moving it around the kit like cymbal,snare and bass ( crash ta boom) and so on. I find this a good exercise for co-ordinating feet and hands. This is just an example are you go with the paradidles and work around the kit. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Trying to teach my kid, this is her problem. It's a problem of not counting mostly, but a total lack of concentration from wanting to play like a pro right off the ground. You have to be patient with it and just keep plugging away at it. It'll come I promise. It will be one of those deals where you just sit down one day at the kit, and it'll be there, like you pulled it right out of the sky.

Just slow it way down and count out loud. You'll get there.

Some of this is just letting that right foot go, just let it go. This is where the counting is helpful. It keeps your mind off what your foot is doing. Just relax and play.
    Last edited by jafo; 08-31-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Gretsch Catalina Maple
    Sunburst Tobacco Fade
    PDP Rack
    14" Ludwig Black Magic Stainless Snare
    Tama Speed Cobra single

Cymbals on kit now
    13" & 14" Paiste Proto. Hi-Hats
    17" Paiste 2002 Crash
    18" Pasite 2002 Crash
    19" Paiste 2002 Crash
    10" Paiste Prototype Splash
    20" Paiste 2002 Ride