Thread: Fixing warped wrap on drums

User Info Menu

Default Fixing warped wrap on drums

I have been doing a lot of gigs outside over the summer and the wrap on my bass drum has become warped in spots. Sorry if there have been posts on this subject (new guy to the forum), but what do you recommend for fixing the warps in the wrap? Will I need to have it re-wrapped? If so, any recommendations on where to get it re-wrapped. It is a Pearl Session Series set from the mid-90s.

Thanks in advance!
    John

User Info Menu

Default Re: Fixing warped wrap on drums

I think we need some better info about your warping wrap:
    Bubbled up behind your kick's lugs?
    Just a general looseness of the wrap?
    If it's not really bad just ignore it, otherwise the fix will take some time and patience.
    Remove the hardware, if the wrap is glued all around, heat the larger, surrounding area with hairdryer and force the "bubbles" down where the wrap belongs. If the hairdryer idea doesn't work, you'll need a higher(dangerous) heat source.
    There are drum repair companies that'll re-wrap or strip off the old for a new wrap for $$.May cost more than the kick is worth...

User Info Menu

The warp is in specific spots where it is in waves. Not all over the drum, just in specific places. I can live with it, but it looks kind of bad.

User Info Menu

I agree with Slinglander. Sounds like the bass drum has been exposed to lots of humidity for the wrap to wave like that. How is the rest of the kit? maybe because the bass drum is lower to the ground than the rest of the kit there is more chance of it picking up the dampness. I would recomend a piece of rug or something under the kit when playing outdoors and maybe a sheet over the kit if left out all night. Just suggestions here.

User Info Menu

Good thoughts. I always use a piece of carpet under the drums and the set is never left outside overnight.

Can it being exposed to the sun during a gig cause it? We have done several gigs where we are not under any covering - just straight out in the sun. I have had these drums since 1995 and this year is the first time I have had this problem. But I am doing a lot more outside gigs this year than in the past. It seems like it must be some combination of sun and humidity during the gig. I live in New Hampshire so it is not super hot - mostly in the 80s during the summer.

User Info Menu

jfoster, sounds like what is happening is since you are doing more outside gigs its more likely the sun and temp hike that is re-energizing the adhesive used to keep wrap on shell..the problem is when that happens the wrap becomes distorted and may not return to original position ( memory ) try to keep in a cool place for awhile and see if it returns if so..count yourself lucky and try to keep set from being in direct sunlight.
    Oh and welcome to the Chat! enjoy
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the welcome!

I keep my drums in our basement when not at a gig. The basement is dry and I keep a dehumidifier going down there to be safe, so that shouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like keeping them is a dry place is getting the wrap straightened out. I first saw the warp in the wrap about a month ago. Guess I'm going to have to live with it for now. I appreciate the suggestions. All good!

John

User Info Menu

I think one possibility, If you are doing a lot of outdoor gigs, is that you may be leaving them in a hot car for extended periods of time. I know that here in south FL that is a big no no. I have seen drums that the wrap is all bubbled from people leaving them in there cars and garage. The temp can get like 130 degrees and more in a closed car or garage. If worse comes to worse take the wrap off and refinish the drums natural.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Good thought. I used to live in Nashville and South Carolina, so I understand that heat problem in the car. Up here in New Hampshire it is less of an issue, but can still happen. It could have happened when they were in the car in one of our hot spells.

So it sounds like my choices at this point are (1) get it re-wrapped, or (2) remove the wrap and refinish the drums natural. I would like to go with the natural finish. Not sure what the wood grain looks like. I believe the drums are a birch/mahogany laminate (1995 vintage Pearl Session Series).

Does anyone have a good reference for removing the wrap and refinishing the drums? Sounds like a winter project! We get snowed in up here in NH!

User Info Menu

If the wraps are taped they should come off easy once you get the seam free. Glued is a little more of a pain but you can get them off with a hair dryer and paint scraper. Just be gentle. Make sure you get all the glue off. Give them a light sanding then rub some Danish or Teak oil on them to bring out the grain and condition the wood. Then about 4 coats of natural winmax polyurethane with a light sanding in between coats and you should have some beautiful natural wood finished drums. There are some threads on here from some of us who have done it. will cost less than $25 and some time but it is rewarding. That's what I did with my PDP's. You can see in my photo album on here.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red
    Stewart 1966 Black Diamond Pearl MIJ
    Vintage Paiste 2002
    Vintage Avedis Zildjian

User Info Menu

Vibes - this is very interesting - I went out to your photo album (i am new to this forum, didn't know about the photo album feature - nice!) and looked in your PDP folder. If you look at your drums with the black wrap where the drums are stacked on each other and look at your bass drum, have have almost the exact same warping issue in your wrap as I do. VERY similar.

http://www.drumchat.com/album.php?al...pictureid=4470

I like the idea of removing the wrap and refinishing the drums. I think that is the way I will eventually go. I guess I will live with the warping for now. Before you know it, we will have the opposite problem up here - freezing cold!

Thanks!
    John