Thread: Ludwig Acrolite Snare Drum

User Info Menu

Default Ludwig Acrolite Snare Drum

What do you guys think of this snare? I could get one on craiglist for $60. It's a has the blue badge on it.
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Dark Mocha Fade

Lugwig Supra-Phonic 6.5*14 Snare

14" Paiste Signature Medium Hats
    12" Meinl Classics Custom Trash Crash
    16" Meinl Byzance Trash Crash
    17" Paiste Twenty Thin Crash
    18" Paiste Signature Full Crash
    20" Paiste Signature Full Crash
    20" Meinl Byzance Dark Ride

DW 5000

User Info Menu

Default Re: Ludwig Acrolite Snare Drum

If it has an olive and blue badge it's from the mid 70s and it's going to be a nice drum. Mine was an olive and blue badge and it's a great little snare drum - if it's not on my kit, I'm using it as a backup. (I have two main snares that I use all the time, and my Acrolite is one of them)

Acrolites are typically selling for more than $60 and if you want great sound, that's a bargain compared to what other snares are going for these days. If I was in your shoes, I'd buy it, even though I already have one. I'd likely refinish it to something else though - it's not really collectible (the keystone badged ones are the collectible ones) so I wouldn't feel badly at all about making it look nicer. My current Acrolite is refinished with tube lugs and black hammered metallic spray paint, making it look pretty nice IMO.

Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

ThePloughman Guest

Every drummer should own one.

They are not junk drums, they have never been junk drums.

The Acrolite is a very versatile drum that can perform at any level. They are extremely dependable.

User Info Menu

I have an old 68 acrolite. I love it. It has great tone and tunes very well. 60 bucks is a good price. Ive seen them go for almost 200 (in perfect condition).if you have any drummer friends who have never heard an acrolite tuned right, it will make them jealous.

User Info Menu

I've actually been a bit surprised by this somewhat recent upswing in Acrolite values. When I first started drumming about 8 years ago they could be found pretty regularly right in the $50-$60 range. For a while it was like they were kind of the best kept secret in the drumming world. I think they were generally discounted and considered to be substandard because they were sold as student model drums for so long. Then people started jumping on the Acrolite bandwagon. I got a steal of a deal on mine, ($30, including the broken Tama snare stand it was sitting on, which I fixed in 3 minutes by replacing a barrel pin) although it definitely needed some TLC. The lugs were really pitted, which was the main reason I turned it into a refinish project, but for $30, I could afford to throw some money at it for new lugs, heads and wires.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

buy it, buy it, buy it!!!!

User Info Menu

If it's in good shape, it's a great buy. If it's in decent shape, then it's still a good buy.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    If it's in good shape, it's a great buy. If it's in decent shape, then it's still a good buy.
    Mine was in ROUGH shape...except for the shell. The shell was flawless - more-so than it is now. I dropped it once and had to peen out a dent that resulted when it fell on the snare strainer. Doesn't matter - it still sounds fantastic.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

60 bucks buy it man or I will.

User Info Menu

I still kick myself for not buying one locally for $45 when I had the chance.

User Info Menu

Bought my Mighty Acrolite for 52$. I had to give it a second life because it was in bad shape but nonetheless, it was one of the best 52$ investment

BTW, I call them "Mighty Acrolite" because they deserve that name...
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I still kick myself for not buying one locally for $45 when I had the chance.
    Can I kick you too
    CURRENTLY PLAYING:
    TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW PEDALS - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN - PAISTE - VATER

Member: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion army...

AND I CONFESS I'M A DRUMGEAR-A-HOLIC

User Info Menu

I wonder if you could get one of these drums powder coated?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mind_drummer View Post
    Can I kick you too
    Sure, why not! haha.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xoferif09 View Post
    I wonder if you could get one of these drums powder coated?
    I don't see why no as long as you have a source to get it done. I like to do my own refinish projects so I just painted mine, but powder coating would have kicked it up another notch.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I don't see why no as long as you have a source to get it done. I like to do my own refinish projects so I just painted mine, but powder coating would have kicked it up another notch.
    I bet one of these would look sick gloss black with shiny chrome lugs. Or even dark blue. Heck. Any shiny color!

User Info Menu

It's the best snare drum I have ever played. Get it NOW!

User Info Menu

Are all Acrolites the same from badge to badge or is one better than another?I have a shot at a 70's Acrolite in excellent condition for a great price.I know nothing about a acrolite,but from all I hear about them I'm interested in one.Could someone shed some light for me on the differences on acrolite snares.I'm gonna pick this snare up regardless to good of a price to pass up,pic's when I get it.
    Proudly playing
    TAMA Superstar Accel-Driver 5 piece
    Ddrum Dominion Maple 13x7 snare
    Remo Roto Tom's 6,8,10

Paiste 3000 14 Rude hat's
    Paiste 2000 sound reflections medium 13 hat's
    Paiste 2000 sound reflections 14 thin crash
    Paiste Alpha 16 medium crash
    Paiste Alpha 18 Medium crash
    Paiste Alpha 20 power ride
    Wuhan 12/18 china's

User Info Menu

any acro holds its value. the design hasnt changed over the years. at my local GC they have 2 used ones, one is $219.00 the other $199.00. both B/O badges
    ive yet to figure out their pricing on those!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Xoferif09 View Post
    I bet one of these would look sick gloss black with shiny chrome lugs. Or even dark blue. Heck. Any shiny color!
    You mean kind of like the picture of mine that I posted above?

That's not a great pic of my drum. It looks much better in person.

Learn it. Love it.

dave0549jv Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Skimp241 View Post
    Are all Acrolites the same from badge to badge or is one better than another?I have a shot at a 70's Acrolite in excellent condition for a great price.I know nothing about a acrolite,but from all I hear about them I'm interested in one.Could someone shed some light for me on the differences on acrolite snares.I'm gonna pick this snare up regardless to good of a price to pass up,pic's when I get it.
    I'm pretty sure the design was basically the same for the entire run of acrolites. I could be wrong, but i think the only changes made were cosmetic. theyve all got aluminum shells, 8 lugs, internal muffler etc...

I'd definitely reccomend adding one to your stable.

User Info Menu

I've read that current Acrolites are not the same spec as the old ones, but that the old ones up through the 70s (up to the black and white/black and silver badges) are all pretty much the same spun aluminum shell. One of the things I've noticed about mine is how wide it is - there is virtually no side to side play between the shell and the hoop of the head at all, which might account for some of the sound characteristics they tend to have. In some of the reading I have done, apparently the newer ones are not quite that big - they are slightly smaller in diameter, and they don't have the same contour on the bearing edge.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

I never hear back from the guy. I think it's gone
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive Dark Mocha Fade

Lugwig Supra-Phonic 6.5*14 Snare

14" Paiste Signature Medium Hats
    12" Meinl Classics Custom Trash Crash
    16" Meinl Byzance Trash Crash
    17" Paiste Twenty Thin Crash
    18" Paiste Signature Full Crash
    20" Paiste Signature Full Crash
    20" Meinl Byzance Dark Ride

DW 5000

User Info Menu

Let's see all these Acrolites you fellows are talking about.

I have dated mine to sometime between '76 and '79. It has a semi-rare textured finish that was known as "orange peel". It was given to me for free after being found in the back of a middle school practice room at the school where I teach. I cleaned it up and put on a coated Ambassador and Puresound snare wires. I removed the internal muffler and put painters tape over the holes on the inside. It is now a definite workhorse drum.

User Info Menu

I would be remiss if I didn't mention this - if you take off all the bottom hardware and crank up a single ply head, it gives an impressive timbale sound.