Thread: Pete Best

User Info Menu

Default Pete Best

I saw Pete Best monday night at a local club. He had a pretty good band with them they played a lot of late 50s, early 60s (especially Beatles) covers. They really rocked the club dispite a poor turnout (there was a local jazz fest going on, and they didn't advertise the show at all). Pete was a good solid drummer with very steady timing, and a great feel for the music. I must say that with all the hype about him being so much better than Ringo, I was a little dissapointed. I wanted to go there and be convinced that he could just blow Ringo away, but it didn't happen. I'm not criticizing him or his drumming, It's my own fault for being dissapointed because I bought into all the Beatles legend and hype. His band was very tight, very well rehearsed, and I had a great time. They had two drummers Pete and his son, and combined with all the hype around the Beatles and why they dumped Pete for Ringo, and walking in and seeing the two drumsets up on stage I expected to see more of a show of superior drumming technique. So was Pete better than Ringo, back in the day I still don't know. What do you think?

User Info Menu

Cool Pete Best

From what I have read about the Beatles, Pete was indeed "a good solid drummer with very steady timing and a great feel for the music." Unfortunately for him, Ringo had a flashier reputation (see "Answer to Nome de Drums") and seemed to fit in better with the other Beatles.

When Ringo replaced Pete, many people protested vigorously but to no avail. He was replaced shortly before the Fab Four took off and, according to one report, went back to his original job as a baker as the Beatles took off in the States...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

what a sad story. so was it just about the reputation that Ringo had that the Beatles went with Ringo?

User Info Menu

Hey!
    Why are you guys talking about me?
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80
    what a sad story. so was it just about the reputation that Ringo had that the Beatles went with Ringo?
    It seems from what I've read and heard that there were some personality issues at work also. Pete wasn't into the mop top hair style (and wore his in a more conventional cut), and he was somewhat of a loner. It seems Ringo was a better fit from a personality standpoint, and the decision had little or nothing to do with either of their drumming abilities (although that is the reason they gave Pete when they fired him).