Thread: Derek Roddy

User Info Menu

Default Derek Roddy

Derek Roddy

Drummer: Derek Roddy
    Main Style: Extreme Metal
    Main Band: Hate Eternal
    Brief Summary: Derek Roddy is known for his extreme metal drumming and has popularized the notorious blast beats for metal. He is a popular clinician on the drum circuit and has even authored his own book, "The Evolution of Blast Beats".

Other Facts: in 2010, Derek was one of the 7 drummers who was invited to audition for Dream Theater, to replace Mike Portnoy.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Derek Roddy

I absolutely LOVE Derek Roddy! My favorite drummer by far. His drumming on the song "Faceless One" with Hate Eternal is just something else! For those of you that don't know, he also did a DVD, "Blast Beats Evolved", going into detail on many extreme metal drumming styles, such as different types of blast beats. Incredible DVD. Incredible drummer!

Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Always did admire his skill at playing effortlessly under the stresses of what most people would consider breakneck speeds. He seems to have some ties to jazz music as well, so I think he's one of the more versatile guys out there today.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

For sure, Russ, he's certainly versatile. Some of his drum solo's are nothing like blast beating super fast metal, they're pretty swingy and soft and completely different. He can play a heck of a variety of stuff extremely fluently.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Super awesome guy too. I saw him put on a clinic locally here in July. It was really cool. Awesome drummer and a really down to earth dude.

User Info Menu

*bump*
    Recently I saw this guy at a drum clinic in Cranbourne Music. Amazing stuff.

Also a little more info. He's working on a solo project called "Serpents rise", in which he writes all bass, guitar and drums. It's an instrumental project.
    Also he's endorsed by DW drums, Remo heads, Axis pedals, Vater sticks, and Meinl cymbals, with which he has his own signature ride cymbal and hihats. Past endorsments have included Paiste, Sabian and Sonor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by almostmatt1 View Post
    *bump*
    Recently I saw this guy at a drum clinic in Cranbourne Music. Amazing stuff.

Also a little more info. He's working on a solo project called "Serpents rise", in which he writes all bass, guitar and drums. It's an instrumental project.
    Also he's endorsed by DW drums, Remo heads, Axis pedals, Vater sticks, and Meinl cymbals, with which he has his own signature ride cymbal and hihats. Past endorsments have included Paiste, Sabian and Sonor.
    I think he posted his entire Serpents Rise album for free download on another forum. Super cool guy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I think he posted his entire Serpents Rise album for free download on another forum. Super cool guy.
    Yeah man. Derek Roddy's own forum, on his site. Two albums in fact, 25 songs all up, and it's all super awesome stuff if you're into that type of music.
    http://www.derekroddy.com/forum/view...p?f=23&t=17180
    I hope this doesn't breach any promotion rules or anything. It's all up for free download so it's not as though I'm promoting buying anything or something.