Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steve Smith

User Info Menu

Default Steve Smith

Steve Smith

Drummer: Steve Smith
    Main Style: Rock / Fusion
    Main Band: Vital Information
    Brief Summary: Steve Smith is a drummer's drummer. He's clean, has tons of chops, he's a nice guy and he loves to learn as much as he teaches. Steve is best known for his work with the legendary rock band, Journey as well as his own jazz fusion group, Vital Information but has played with several name artists through the years whether live on on record.

Other Facts: Studied with Gary Chaffee and Alan Dawson of the infamous, Berklee College of Music.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Steve Smith

I got to see Steve Smith in person and all I knew about him was that he was in Journey. He was one of the drummers for a Zildjian cymbal clinic I attended 20+ yrs. ago, totally blew my mind with talents! Made me realize that what you hear on the radio and what they really can do are two complete different worlds!

User Info Menu

Last edited by Olimpass; 03-27-2017 at 07:44 PM.

User Info Menu

I met him and spoke with him. He is probably The most talented drummer at this time.
    Any time his band plays in my area I go see him and of course by his CD's, I always want to support guys like him. His band is called: Vital Information a jazz/fusion type of playing. Its always a good night out, I get a table where I can see him, order a great meal and listen to his band which are the top players in the business. I love just trying to see if I could learn something from watching him and add it to my drum playing. I wish other great drummers kinda did what he does, meaning taking time out playing with a smaller group and show casing their talent so we can learn and enjoy good night outs.
    Last edited by Jackie; 10-13-2011 at 06:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Drummer, thanks for posting him, certainly beat me to this one, lol. Steve Smith is truly one of the giants of the drum biz, and apart from being one of the best players out there and a true historian of the drum set, he puts the whole reason of being a drum educator into perspective - that as a drum teacher, even he never stops learning still. That's why he is so highly respected. And what a humble and nice guy he comes across as....a real credit to the music industry in general. What a privilege it would be to just hang with this guy for a day and see what makes him tick.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Steve Smith and John Riley:

And if you shop around, you might still be able to find this video, dunno on DVD, but I certainly still have this on VHS.

User Info Menu

Steve is my favorite drummer of all time. Like most people, I first learned about him from his work with Journey although by that time he had a long list of quality work to his name. He seems to understand that true mastery of an instrument means being a Master Student: always learning, always exploring, always practicing. And apparently he knows that teaching others is one of the most effective learning techniques a person can develop.

I've never met him, unfortunately.

User Info Menu

For Big Sid

Last edited by Olimpass; 03-27-2017 at 07:45 PM.

User Info Menu

What a fantastic drummer. I have always liked him and his playing. I spent hours playing along to Journey songs (many with him playing of course).
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

I went to one of his clinics in the early 90's. Wore out my Captured record in high school. He even re-did his famous drum solo from that record. I think Dixie Highway leads into it.

Nice guy very soft spoken.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    What a fantastic drummer. I have always liked him and his playing. I spent hours playing along to Journey songs (many with him playing of course).
    I still play along with those albums!

Journey was one of those rare bands where every member was a phenomenal musician in his own right, and the whole was still greater than the sum of its parts.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    I still play along with those albums!

Journey was one of those rare bands where every member was a phenomenal musician in his own right, and the whole was still greater than the sum of its parts.
    I should have made myself more clear in my post. I, too, still listen to them and play along. Journey made some fantastic music (and thrie harmonies were awesome), yet the music they made as a band did not showcase their talent as individuals.
    TAMA- '2018 Star Walnut, ‘99 Starclassic Performer, '89 Granstar, ‘93 Rockstar
    Gretsch- 1963 Round Badge
    Zildjian
    Remo
    Vic Firth
    Speed Cobra Double Pedal Blackout Edition
    Speed Cobra Hi Hat
    Hardware- TAMA Roadpro
    Snare Drums- various TAMA, Gretsch, Ludwig, Leedy
    Mic's- Sennheiser, Shure, AKG

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumsetsnide View Post
    ...yet the music they made as a band did not showcase their talent as individuals.
    That's the downside of a collaborative effort.

But the way they brought their talents together... undeniably sweet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Steve Smith and John Riley:

Had to find the vid for that...awesome!

Last edited by Olimpass; 03-27-2017 at 07:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    What a privilege it would be to just hang with this guy for a day and see what makes him tick.
    If you want the next best thing, buy "Standing on the Shoulders of Giants" DVD with Steve being interviewed/critiqued by John Riley. Very in depth drum video. It also is a great tool to expose the younger generation to the Jazz drumming legends.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Just wanted to add this great oldie with Steve Smith drumming for Jean Luc Ponty doing the tune : Tarantula

Last edited by Olimpass; 03-27-2017 at 07:46 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Found this myself about a month or so ago watching other videos of him, WOW! I think if I played about another 30 years, I might have about as much talent as he has in one finger. Definately one of my favorite drummers. I like to find other videos of his and watch what he's doing and work it into practice. Great stuff.
    Mapex Drums / Ludwig Hardware / Sabian Cymbals / Tama Pedals & Hardware / Remo and Aquarian
    Heads /
    Vic Firth Sticks

User Info Menu

I haven't seen a whole lot of his stuff unfortunately, but I have huge respect for him. I have a part of his Modern Drummer performance, where he does a section on Snare Drum playing, and the different sounds you can pull from just a snare drum. It's mind blowing.

nuthajason Guest

one of the nicest pro drummers i've ever met. a gent and a genius. inspired me to take up jazz drumming after 20 years of pure rock.

User Info Menu

I first heard Steve Smith when he was in Journey and really I just didn't find what he was doing very interesting. I've never been one to enjoy the mainstream basic commercial type music, so I figured he was just another guy in a successful pop band . Then one day after he had left Journey I walked into my local drum shop and they had an instructional Drum DVD playing. I saw it was Steve Smith and my jaw hit the floor. From listening to what he did with Journey I had no idea how incredible this guy was on the kit. I mean , sure you could tell he was a solid drummer from his work with Journey, but you couldn't tell he was a monster drummer.
    He's clearly one of the best drummers on the planet.
    Last edited by NPYYZ; 05-16-2015 at 03:41 PM.

User Info Menu

I just learned something new from this forum again! Thanks for introducing Steve Smith to me. I didn't know he was the drummer for Journey.

User Info Menu

I noticed his matched grip with JLP but traditional grip in other, later videos. Anyone know the reason for this?
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I noticed his matched grip with JLP but traditional grip in other, later videos. Anyone know the reason for this?
    I don't know the reason but I would think he toys with both or any other way just to be that much more versitile. Steve Smith is one of my drum gods.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 01-27-2013 at 08:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Just The Same Way - Journey : Steve Smith

Last edited by Olimpass; 03-27-2017 at 07:47 PM.