Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Church Drummers Thread

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Church Drummers Thread

I did play for my church and hated it. Only practiced with the band every 3 weeks on saturday for am an hour than 1/2 hr before church on Sunday. So I never learned the songs well so I thought I just suck so I stopped palying until my band asked me to join and found out I am not so bad after all.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I've been to churches like that. My current church practices every Saturday, for 2-5 hours. Our church band is pretty tight, but it takes alot of work and cooperation from everyone. We've kicked people off that didn't want to practice regularly.
    Dw | Zildjian | Pro-Mark | Evans

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Super awesome. Love those white DWs!!
    Don't know how I missed this comment lol. Thanks Bish! Love your new Saturns as well. I'm a sucker for that finish, my favorite on the Saturns by far.

User Info Menu

I couldn't agree with you more!! I'm a female percussionist and have my own headaches with all of the various personalities you mentioned, with the added plus of what do we need percussion for, followed by a loud snort of derision. Usually, once they hear me play, there is a change of attitude. Usually. I hate the drummer being stuck in a cage. I need to hear him or her and also the bass.
    Densbabe

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by densbabe View Post
    I couldn't agree with you more!! I'm a female percussionist and have my own headaches with all of the various personalities you mentioned, with the added plus of what do we need percussion for, followed by a loud snort of derision. Usually, once they hear me play, there is a change of attitude. Usually. I hate the drummer being stuck in a cage. I need to hear him or her and also the bass.
    Densbabe
    I'm the percussionist at my church as well. However since they were looking for one, the attitude was very positive and everyone loves the added parts. The way it's set up, is bass to the right, drums to the left. In a cage, but they took out some of the carpet and it's pretty easy to hear them. There's a monitor nearby for everything else.

User Info Menu

Found some videos of Steve Goold talking about Church Drumming on Youtube. I learned a lot from what he had to say. He has some good ideas as to how we are to present our part of the service.

User Info Menu

I realize I'm a bit late to this conversation, but I thought I would weigh in and share a bit. First off I've been playing in various churches for 25+ years. I've faced it all, growing up as a preachers kid, and my Mother playing the piano, she would always point to her ear if I was to loud, put her foot around the side of the piano and tap it on the floor in my kick was to loud. Give me the winding finger in a looping motion if I was to slow!

I grew up not hardly ever getting into my crashes, it wasn't until left home and moved away and started playing at another church that I even realized how good my old Sabians sounded!! At that particular church, they decided to install a pull down projector screen.....and the only possible place for it was directly in front of me...I think it doubled for a drum shield..Lol!, BUT, I didn't care, I just jammed away behind it.

After that I moved again, and was the back up drummer at another church ( a decent sized church), and they had a booth with mic'ed drums....sweet DW's, and I could NEVER play loud enough for them because the main drummer was SUPER heavy handed, he broke a stick almost every week!

Fast forward and now I go to a much smaller church, started playing there the very first Sunday night I attended, the drummer was a fantastic guitar player an would rather be playing guitar so he was glad to let me take over.....but we had our struggles, to loud, so I had to play with hot rods....went through about 3 pairs or those in about 6 months. SO, we built a drum room, totally enclosed and mic'ed the drums, gave me a mixer board and headphones with all the mixes so I could adjust them myself.....still to loud...back to hot rods....hated playing then. But the guitarist left and wanted to take his drums and that opened the door for my pastor to fix our problem...not the way I was hoping!! We bought Alesis DM-10's and so now not only am I a monkey in a cage, now I have to play and e-kit....we still got a few complaints, this time that the drums sounded to fake, so I talked my pastor into buying Addictive drums....way better, still nothing like playing a sweet acoustic kit, but definitely helps you feel like you are playing a good sounding e-kit! One other thing that my pastor decide, (that was a life saver) was bought us all in the Behringer personal monitor system so we can all adjust our own mixes the way we want to hear them in our ears.....SO awesome if you're stuck in a drum booth/room or in a corner where you can't hardly hear...I highly recommend those!!

On top of all of that we decided to go to playing clicks..........I thought I was a pretty decent drummer who kept beat well......not so much, once you start playing to clicks it typically a humbling experience, but honestly now that I'm used to it, I love it! I almost detest playing without them!

Funny thing that I just can't wrap my brain around is that the same people who will complain about the drums being to loud are the same ones who can't here the preacher and always asking their spouse.....what did he say!! lol!
    Last edited by drumnut30; 02-27-2014 at 04:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumnut30 View Post
    Funny thing that I just can't wrap my brain around is that the same people who will complain about the drums being to loud are the same ones who can't here the preacher and always asking their spouse.....what did he say!! lol!

Sounds like you've got plenty of experience playing in churches. I was surprised that you suggested the Addictive drums. Didn't that put you out of a job for a while?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I grew up not hardly ever getting into my crashes, it wasn't until left home and moved away and started playing at another church that I even realized how good my old Sabians sounded!! At that particular church, they decided to install a pull down projector screen.....and the only possible place for it was directly in front of me...I think it doubled for a drum shield..Lol!, BUT, I didn't care, I just jammed away behind it.
    People, in particular church members have no idea how much junk a church drummer has to put up with. You're a better man than I playing behind a screen.

We bought Alesis DM-10's and so now not only am I a monkey in a cage, now I have to play and e-kit....we still got a few complaints, this time that the drums sounded to fake, so I talked my pastor into buying Addictive drums....way better, still nothing like playing a sweet acoustic kit, but definitely helps you feel like you are playing a good sounding e-kit! One other thing that my pastor decide, (that was a life saver) was bought us all in the Behringer personal monitor system so we can all adjust our own mixes the way we want to hear them in our ears.....SO awesome if you're stuck in a drum booth/room or in a corner where you can't hardly hear...I highly recommend those!!
    Our church is now using an Aviom system. All of the instrumentalists have them, but the singers don't...yet.

On top of all of that we decided to go to playing clicks..........I thought I was a pretty decent drummer who kept beat well......not so much, once you start playing to clicks it typically a humbling experience, but honestly now that I'm used to it, I love it! I almost detest playing without them!
    We use a metronome live as well. It's really painful to listen to other worship groups that don't use a click, and it's so easy to tell. Some are better than others, but 99% of the population playing music in churches are lay people that get together once a week to practice (if they are lucky) and don't really feel like a "band"; therefore, it's really difficult to "lock in" with folks you don't play with a lot of the time. I love using a click too, way better than I ever thought I would.

Here's the thing. You and I both are going to be the old folks in the church one day...and that day will come sooner than later, my friend. Good to meet another church drummer with over 20+ years of experience.

User Info Menu

Nice to meet you drumnut, always a pleasure to have a conversation with other church drummers. I have yet to find a church that doesn't have people complaining about volume. It isn't always the old people either! Haha we did an acoustic set a few weeks ago, 2 acoustic guitars, piano, and then percussion(Cajon & shakers). Somebody had the nerve to complain about the volume.... Guess who it was? The hearing impaired 40 year-old man who happens to have the closest seat in the house to the subs and speakers.

My church used to have an Aviom system. But when we went to buy a new mixer, we went the X32, which has remote control of monitors via iPad. I wouldn't trade that system for anything. About to buy the new Midas M32 and put the X32 in the youth hall.

I had to play with hot-rod sticks for the first time in years last week! Which is a blessing in it's self...But I had to use them, and not because of volume! I was playing on some other dudes kit, and the dude was apparently VERY heavy handed. I got on the kit with my sticks, they told me to play quietly, so I did; no problem. The kit sounded like absolute crap... I tried the hot-rods, actually sounded decent. Dude had that kit fine-tuned for hot-rods.. That was a first for me. They told me I could tune the kit to my liking because he was out of town, but I wasn't going to be THAT guy.

Regarding clicks, we don't use them unless we're traveling. We're doing a few youth camps this year, as well as a couple of outdoor shows in other cities, we'll use them there. I personally hate using clicks... I hope I grow to love them.. but as of now I hate them.

Got a question for you guys... how many of you have percussionists in your church? What do they play? I've got some percussion stuff...Cajon, Congas, shakers, tambourines, etc... I use alot of that for acoustic sets, but I haven't really used any of it during our normal worship services. Out of all the people in my church, I'm the only drummer. At least I was, we have a new guy that wants to learn, and bluntly he's God-awful and is a ways from playing with the band. The pastor approached me asking me if I could use him for anything at all while he's learning, so I'm considering this. Any tips?
    Last edited by Ciz; 03-05-2014 at 12:05 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ciz View Post
    Got a question for you guys... how many of you have percussionists in your church? What do they play? I've got some percussion stuff...Cajon, Congas, shakers, tambourines, etc... I use alot of that for acoustic sets, but I haven't really used any of it during our normal worship services. Out of all the people in my church, I'm the only drummer. At least I was, we have a new guy that wants to learn, and bluntly he's God-awful and is a ways from playing with the band. The pastor approached me asking me if I could use him for anything at all while he's learning, so I'm considering this. Any tips?
    I play percussion in the band at my church. It is quite a bit more than most percussion set-ups though as it also includes a lot of extra drumset stuff as well as an electronic pad. In your situation, I'd give him some ambient stuff...suspended cymbal rolls, wind chimes, rainstick, etc. If his timing is really bad, I wouldn't suggest tambourine because of how loud that can be. Shakers could work. It'd give him something to do and get better at timing, while not being a distraction. Cajon, with either no mic or one turned very low, would also work as again he can practice drumming without affecting the music.
    If his timing is fairly solid then you really just have to experiment. The team here is very open to experimentation by me, and so I've used anything from almost a second drumset (minus kick and toms), to standard aux percussion (shakers, cajon, bongos, tambourine etc), to more unusual items (ethnic bass drums, riq, ocean drum, nut shells) to electronics. It all depends on the music being played.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post

Sounds like you've got plenty of experience playing in churches. I was surprised that you suggested the Addictive drums. Didn't that put you out of a job for a while?

PB-No, we use our Alesis-Dm-10's as triggers, and the addictive drums runs off of my macbook as the out put sound....for the most part it really works quite well....every once in a while we get a glitch and have a phantom ghost hit, when I'm sitting there with my arms crossed! lol! Not sure what is causing that, but it's frustrating and a bit humorous all at the same time!!
    Born to DRUM!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post

Here's the thing. You and I both are going to be the old folks in the church one day...and that day will come sooner than later, my friend. Good to meet another church drummer with over 20+ years of experience.

SO TRUE!! I always kid my wife and say she is SO going to be one of those old grippy women at our church!! She HATES it, but it's SO true!!! lol!!
    Born to DRUM!!

User Info Menu

Got a question for you guys... how many of you have percussionists in your church? What do they play? I've got some percussion stuff...Cajon, Congas, shakers, tambourines, etc... I use alot of that for acoustic sets, but I haven't really used any of it during our normal worship services.
    I think that every church has at least a set of congas and/or a djembe with a small host of hand percussion instruments...most of it going unused. I WISH we had a percussionist that was also being fed the click track. Right now, only folks playing an actually playing an instrument are fed the click track, so this means that when I'm not playing, I'm keeping time on my hats. One would think that the singers could simply sing with whomever is playing guitar, piano, etc. Well, our singers (just like the choir that stands on both sides of me) tend to sing behind the beat, so I'm constantly keeping time whether I'm playing or not. I'd love to turn this over to a percussionist. Ever had to do cymbal swells in your right hand while keeping time in your left hand? I always have to remember Matthew 6:3: "Don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing."

Out of all the people in my church, I'm the only drummer.
    We have close to 600 folks coming to our church each Sunday, and I'm the only drummer that I know about. Our worship pastor, GOD BLESS HIM, has started learning the drums so that I can take one Sunday off a month. I don't know why people don't want to join, but here are my assumptions:

1. There are no other drummers.
    2. Maybe there are drummers, but they don't want to put up with our rehearsal schedule.
    3. Maybe there are drummers, but they are already in over their heads with other playing obligations (I was in the same boat in the 90s. I think I was in 2-3 different bands at one time).
    4. Maybe there are drummers, but they don't want to put up with our schedule. (Rehearsal from 8:30pm - (anywhere from 9:30pm to 11pm each Wednesday), sound check at 7:45am on Sunday mornings, play for two services).
    5. Maybe there are drummers, but they don't want to learn 4-5 new songs a week, every week, for about 3-4 months before even seeing one of them repeated (when I first joined, I have NEVER learned so much music in such a short period of time).
    6. Maybe there are drummers, but there worship music is actually getting more complicated, and maybe the skill level isn't there.
    7. Maybe there are drummers, but they aren't confident.
    8. Maybe there are drummers, but they don't like the music.
    9. Or, once again, there may be no other drummers.

...we have a new guy that wants to learn, and bluntly he's God-awful and is a ways from playing with the band. The pastor approached me asking me if I could use him for anything at all while he's learning, so I'm considering this. Any tips?
    I wouldn't dare put anyone on stage with a percussion instrument that couldn't keep time. No shakers, no tambourines, no nothing. The last thing you need is an out-of-time instrument.

I play guitar as well, so if it were me in this scenario, I might meet with the person a few times and show him how to play the hand percussion instruments while I played guitar. I'd come up with a couple of simple patterns to see if he could play them. Also, have him practice different percussion instruments with a CD or with a click track. If he can't keep time after a month or two, give other options for serving the church besides the worship team. Just because you want to do something doesn't mean that you should.

Best of luck.
    Last edited by porkpieguy; 03-05-2014 at 09:23 AM.

User Info Menu

SO TRUE!! I always kid my wife and say she is SO going to be one of those old grippy women at our church!! She HATES it, but it's SO true!!! lol!!

Heck, I can't WAIT to be one of the gripers.

Oh, who am I kidding? I'll probably play drums until I die.

User Info Menu

I think that every church has at least a set of congas and/or a djembe with a small host of hand percussion instruments...most of it going unused. I WISH we had a percussionist that was also being fed the click track. Right now, only folks playing an actually playing an instrument are fed the click track, so this means that when I'm not playing, I'm keeping time on my hats. One would think that the singers could simply sing with whomever is playing guitar, piano, etc. Well, our singers (just like the choir that stands on both sides of me) tend to sing behind the beat, so I'm constantly keeping time whether I'm playing or not. I'd love to turn this over to a percussionist. Ever had to do cymbal swells in your right hand while keeping time in your left hand? I always have to remember Matthew 6:3: "Don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing."
    I know what you mean... I actually bought a foot-cabasa for that reason. But it's only for the stage, everyone feeds it through their monitors. I only use it when needed, and 90% of the time I won't play through an entire song with it, so I won't let them put it through the main mix for consistency reasons.. But I believe it was a good investment, it's served it's purpose 100x over for this situation.

We have close to 600 folks coming to our church each Sunday, and I'm the only drummer that I know about. Our worship pastor, GOD BLESS HIM, has started learning the drums so that I can take one Sunday off a month. I don't know why people don't want to join, but here are my assumptions:

1. There are no other drummers.
    2. Maybe there are drummers, but they don't want to put up with our rehearsal schedule.
    3. Maybe there are drummers, but they are already in over their heads with other playing obligations (I was in the same boat in the 90s. I think I was in 2-3 different bands at one time).
    4. Maybe there are drummers, but they don't want to put up with our schedule. (Rehearsal from 8:30pm - (anywhere from 9:30pm to 11pm each Wednesday), sound check at 7:45am on Sunday mornings, play for two services).
    5. Maybe there are drummers, but they don't want to learn 4-5 new songs a week, every week, for about 3-4 months before even seeing one of them repeated (when I first joined, I have NEVER learned so much music in such a short period of time).
    6. Maybe there are drummers, but there worship music is actually getting more complicated, and maybe the skill level isn't there.
    7. Maybe there are drummers, but they aren't confident.
    8. Maybe there are drummers, but they don't like the music.
    9. Or, once again, there may be no other drummers.
    Hahaha! When I first joined I had a similar experience. Luckily I had another drummer at the time to show me the stuff, as she was moving off. I've been playing in church consistently for 5 years now. I've missed only a handful of services during that time, I missed one service in 2013, I've missed none this year so far. I'm honestly not at all burnt out, I love it! But one of the drawbacks of being on the worship team, is alot of the time you have to sacrifice a little in order to help others worship effectively. Just like people who do media, sound, camera, etc... I haven't been able to actually be in the congregation during in worship in forever. I would love to be able to do that at least once a month, which is why I'm looking. I think the biggest problem with the people in my church is the lack of drummers, or the last of people who want to put forth the kind of time and effort needed.

I wouldn't dare put anyone on stage with a percussion instrument that couldn't keep time. No shakers, no tambourines, no nothing. The last thing you need is an out-of-time instrument.

I play guitar as well, so if it were me in this scenario, I might meet with the person a few times and show him how to play the hand percussion instruments while I played guitar. I'd come up with a couple of simple patterns to see if he could play them. Also, have him practice different percussion instruments with a CD or with a click track. If he can't keep time after a month or two, give other options for serving the church besides the worship team. Just because you want to do something doesn't mean that you should.

Best of luck.
    I'm meeting with him a few times next week. I'm hoping he has the timing to do shakers or something. If not, like you said we'll find something else. It's hard sometimes though. He wants to be involved, but he can't sing, or play anything, but he's willing. So I'll put the effort in if there's the slightest chance he can be used effectively.

User Info Menu

i just joined this message board, im also a church drummer. there are too many previous messages to read them all but i will say this much, being a church drummer is not always easy, i know alot of outside musicians friends who think that being a church drummer is not really a serious drummer or even musician, i know alot of us mainly play on sundays and sometimes during the week as i do but i do consider myself a serious drummer/musician and its not easy work

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tankman View Post
    i just joined this message board, im also a church drummer. there are too many previous messages to read them all but i will say this much, being a church drummer is not always easy, i know alot of outside musicians friends who think that being a church drummer is not really a serious drummer or even musician, i know alot of us mainly play on sundays and sometimes during the week as i do but i do consider myself a serious drummer/musician and its not easy work

LOL! Maybe I'm taking this with the wrong "spirit", but I would find it quite offensive for someone to label me "not really a serious drummer or even musician".....I'm sure most of us play at least once a week if not more, and I've heard some church drummers who were pretty darn salty on a set of drums, one of the BEST drummers I know is a church drummer......and I'm not referring to myself! lol! But yea, one of the most common things with being a "church drummer" would have to be under appreciation and over criticized....just seems to come with the territory! It's hard to do, but you pretty much have to develop thick skin!! Keep up the good work though, and do your best not to get discouraged and quit.....because believe me, if you're anything like me and I'm sure you are, you will miss playing the drums in church if you go through a period of time where you're not able to play consistently as I was during a 3.5 year period when I was a Youth Pastor.
    Born to DRUM!!

User Info Menu

LOL! Maybe I'm taking this with the wrong "spirit", but I would find it quite offensive for someone to label me "not really a serious drummer or even musician".....I'm sure most of us play at least once a week if not more, and I've heard some church drummers who were pretty darn salty on a set of drums, one of the BEST drummers I know is a church drummer......and I'm not referring to myself! lol! But yea, one of the most common things with being a "church drummer" would have to be under appreciation and over criticized....just seems to come with the territory! It's hard to do, but you pretty much have to develop thick skin!! Keep up the good work though, and do your best not to get discouraged and quit.....because believe me, if you're anything like me and I'm sure you are, you will miss playing the drums in church if you go through a period of time where you're not able to play consistently as I was during a 3.5 year period when I was a Youth Pastor.
    Drumnut
    you dont have the wrong spirit at all, i do get a little bothered when i hear those comments being made about us church drummers, and yeah youre right i do miss playing on a regular basis, part of that is because im also a photographer and so ive mainly concentrated on that for so many years, even taking pics of my church services/events etc. But recently the worship team has gone through some changes and has asked me to help them out, which im willing to do but i need alot of practice as you can imagine lol
    Blessing to ya Drumnut
    tankman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tankman View Post
    Drumnut
    you dont have the wrong spirit at all, i do get a little bothered when i hear those comments being made about us church drummers, and yeah youre right i do miss playing on a regular basis, part of that is because im also a photographer and so ive mainly concentrated on that for so many years, even taking pics of my church services/events etc. But recently the worship team has gone through some changes and has asked me to help them out, which im willing to do but i need alot of practice as you can imagine lol
    Blessing to ya Drumnut
    tankman
    That's awesome! I hope you get back into the mix! Good luck!
    Born to DRUM!!

User Info Menu

thanks alot drumnut...ciz love your DWs

User Info Menu

Please fill me in. Why is playing drums in a church any different than playing drums any where else.
    ?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Ita not different

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Please fill me in. Why is playing drums in a church any different than playing drums any where else.
    ?

all the best...
    It's not. That applies to any musician that plays in church. Anyone who truly believes that it's not a serious is ignorant, some of the best musicians I know only play in church. In fact, one of my friends was offered to play with WhiteSnake in the 90's, but refused because of his family and his church.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    ?

all the best...
    There is a BIG difference, at least with the church's I've belonged to.

1. Some people think drums should not be used in a church service.
    2. Some say drum beats are "evil" ( I'm not kidding I heard this!)
    3.The drums are ALWAY'S to loud for certain people no matter how gently you play them.
    4. Other's just constantly complain about the drum sound not being "christian"

I could go on but you get the point, playing in clubs or outside venues can at times be harsh, but not as harsh as some churchs.

Not all churchs are like this but the most I've been to are including the one I belong to now, and no I'm not the drummer at our church.