Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The Church Drummers Thread

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Church Drummers Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sglynn View Post
    Hi, you seem really knowledgeable about drumming. Our band is trying to get better at grooves. Might you know the groove being played for the song Furious by Jeremy Riddle. I really need to know when is the kick drum hitting? I listen but can't figure it out. I'm only a 1 year part time drummer because I'm also our worship teams keyboard guy, but I like drumming. Your help is appreciated. Thanks
    Steve at sglynn55@gmail.com

Forum won't let me send private message yet.

Just sent you an email with some praise songs attached.

User Info Menu

Final axe played some killer Christian rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC_UXm6glMk

User Info Menu

Anyone ever use a Ludwig breakbeat set for church? The church I will be playing at is ?every small and I think this set would be perfect? Any opinions?
    Last edited by CB700; 01-04-2015 at 07:44 PM.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

This a pretty cool Church.

Last edited by 54bogger; 01-27-2015 at 01:53 PM.

User Info Menu

This past Sunday, our church did a praise and worship concert. We had the entire service, so we played 13 songs. We had to play two services, so that equals 26 songs. We also had practice before hand, so we played at least half to a quarter of those songs, so I was worn OUT on Sunday afternoon. I was completely brain dead, but it was a lot of fun.

There is video of it, and I'll get a link posted as soon as it's available.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    This past Sunday, our church did a praise and worship concert. We had the entire service, so we played 13 songs. We had to play two services, so that equals 26 songs. We also had practice before hand, so we played at least half to a quarter of those songs, so I was worn OUT on Sunday afternoon. I was completely brain dead, but it was a lot of fun.

There is video of it, and I'll get a link posted as soon as it's available.
    Would love to see it...........

All of the videos from our services, they never show the drummer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Would love to see it...........

All of the videos from our services, they never show the drummer
    Ours rarely do. I talked to the sound guy about it. I'm hoping that this one will be different.

User Info Menu

Ours rarely do. I talked to the sound guy about it. I'm hoping that this one will be different.
    yep..........if I'm lucky, they catch an edge of my crash cymbal

I know it's not the point, but I'd like to watch, if nothing else, just to critique my own playing and improve for next time.

User Info Menu

yep..........if I'm lucky, they catch an edge of my crash cymbal

I know it's not the point, but I'd like to watch, if nothing else, just to critique my own playing and improve for next time.

Yeah, I just want to make sure I don't look like a total shlub up there. I'd thought about seeing if I could borrow someone's goPro or something like that.

User Info Menu

Yay! The concert is online!

Go to http://mpbc.ws/media/ and click on 1-25-15.

Here are a couple of highlights and the set list (and times in case you want to skip around).

Highlights:
    0:00 – That’s my early 90’s Tama Rockstar snare that I wrapped a month or so ago. I can’t believe how good it sounds!
    29:40 – Probably the biggest drum lick I’ve ever done in a church
    41:30 – 42:50: Lots of fun stuff

Songs:
    0:00 – In Jesus’ Name
    5:01 – God’s Not Dead
    9:13 – The Rock Won’t Move.
    14:03 – The Greatness of our God
    18:22 – Strong God
    23:08 – This I Believe (Creed)
    30:35 – God, You are my God
    35:57 – Victor’s Crown
    45:57 – Promises
    47:07 – The Great I Am
    52:23 – Jailbreak

We did “Not for a Moment” for the invitation, but it wasn’t recorded.

Any feedback you have would be good.

Enjoy!

User Info Menu

Yay! The concert is online!

Go to http://mpbc.ws/media/ and click on 1-25-15.

Here are a couple of highlights and the set list (and times in case you want to skip around).

Highlights:
    0:00 – That’s my early 90’s Tama Rockstar snare that I wrapped a month or so ago. I can’t believe how good it sounds!
    29:40 – Probably the biggest drum lick I’ve ever done in a church
    41:30 – 42:50: Lots of fun stuff

Songs:
    0:00 – In Jesus’ Name
    5:01 – God’s Not Dead
    9:13 – The Rock Won’t Move.
    14:03 – The Greatness of our God
    18:22 – Strong God
    23:08 – This I Believe (Creed)
    30:35 – God, You are my God
    35:57 – Victor’s Crown
    45:57 – Promises
    47:07 – The Great I Am
    52:23 – Jailbreak

We did “Not for a Moment” for the invitation, but it wasn’t recorded.

Any feedback you have would be good.

Enjoy!

Good stuff.

User Info Menu

I could not get it to play.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CB700 View Post
    I could not get it to play.
    If you are watching on a Mac, iPad, or iPhone, you can't see it (I think it runs via flash).

If you want to watch it on an Apple device, you can download our free app.

Just do a search for mount pleasant baptist church in the app store: http://get.theapp.co/7eeb

User Info Menu

PP.........I like the way you guys are set up...................be glad you aren't inside a fishbowl, like a lot of us!

User Info Menu

PP.........I like the way you guys are set up...................be glad you aren't inside a fishbowl, like a lot of us!

Oh, I've played my fair share inside of The Aquarium. Better yet, I've played inside a homemade aquarium...with a rotting egg crate mattress pad staple-gunned to the ceiling that used to fall down either like snow or in big hunks during the middle of the set.

At my last church, I would get so frustrated with the Plexiglas that I'd get to church early some days and take it partially apart and put pieces of the plexi in front of the guitar amps and on top of the keyboards.

I don't go to that church anymore.

I'm VERY thankful to be able to go to a church that doesn't make me do this. I can't believe the choir has put up with me for so long, but they love it! I'm getting to the point that I'm able to open up my playing a little bit more. I've never been happier playing at a church!

User Info Menu

Update: Our church will be moving the THREE morning services starting in October. We have reached the 80% capacity during the second service, so it's time to expand. In other words, if a family of five walks in 5-10 minutes after services have begun, it's difficult for them to find a seat where they can all sit together.

We are growing, which is a good thing! However, I've been run ragged before in church, and I really don't want to burn out again.

Anyone have any guidance for not burning out when the time comes?

(BTW: There is only one other drummer at this point, and he plays once a month to give me time off, but still, any other suggestions would be good. Thanks!)

User Info Menu

Update: Our church will be moving the THREE morning services starting in October. We have reached the 80% capacity during the second service, so it's time to expand. In other words, if a family of five walks in 5-10 minutes after services have begun, it's difficult for them to find a seat where they can all sit together.

We are growing, which is a good thing! However, I've been run ragged before in church, and I really don't want to burn out again.

Anyone have any guidance for not burning out when the time comes?

(BTW: There is only one other drummer at this point, and he plays once a month to give me time off, but still, any other suggestions would be good. Thanks!)

We have a rotation of three drummers...............pretty soon it will only be two of us....................not sure if I could do three weeks out of four.

I'd recommend to the worship leader, maybe an "acoustic" set............or some other group to give you some time off.

We tried doing three services a few years back and IIRC, it didn't go over well.

With work and family, it's hard to find the time I need to play "enough" to get ready for Sunday services

User Info Menu

We have a rotation of three drummers...............pretty soon it will only be two of us....................not sure if I could do three weeks out of four.

I'd recommend to the worship leader, maybe an "acoustic" set............or some other group to give you some time off.

We tried doing three services a few years back and IIRC, it didn't go over well.

With work and family, it's hard to find the time I need to play "enough" to get ready for Sunday services

Thanks for the words. I've been through this before at another church, and at one point, I was playing 8 times every Sunday one of the churches that I used to be involved with:

1 - 7:30am practice
    2 - Sunday AM service #1
    3 - Sunday AM service #2
    4 - Sunday AM service #3
    5 - Practice with the college music/drama team
    6 - Practice for Sunday PM service
    7 - Sunday PM service
    8 - Sunday evening practice after church (Musicians only. No singers.)

I don't go there any more.

I did this for the better part of a couple of years. It was really tough, but I was in college and no family to worry about. These days, I just turned 40, I work full-time, and I have 3 kids, wife, mortgage, and a 45 minute commute one way each day.

It's all sort of bittersweet. On one hand, I'm so very thankful to be a part of such a big movement in our county. In the past 5 years, we've gone from averaging about 325 on a Sunday morning to somewhere around 550 (give or take). In addition, a Christian-based company will be bringing in 600 new jobs to the county over the next 5 years, so even if we get a quarter of those people and their families, well, you do the math. I'm pretty much the main drummer right now. I really do love it, but I know when too much is too much...and three morning services at least three times a month may be walking the line. I'm not sure; we'll see.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the music is only going to get more difficult at this point, and we are learning at least one new song a month.

All in all, just pray for me as we move forward. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Always been curious. No religion talk or anything, but I've wondered... do you have to belong to a church or believe the tenets of the denomination to be a performer there, or is it just a gig that you try for and when there is an opening you get to play?

Secondly...what's with the aquarium thing?

all the best...

User Info Menu

The aquarium thing is a drum shield, drum cage, drum room, whatever you want to call it. A drummer plays inside of this, and hears the other musicians through monitors of some kind. They are mostly used because old people complain that the drums are too loud. Our church uses one for the drumset, but the percussion set-up is open and the mic levels for that setup are just turned down a little lower since it doesn't need to be amplified as much. We remove it in the summer for the youth conference (no old people who dislike drums there!)
    Obviously there are many other ways to get the sound quieter if the drummer lacks dynamic skills, but generally churches just get a drum cage.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Always been curious. No religion talk or anything, but I've wondered... do you have to belong to a church or believe the tenets of the denomination to be a performer there, or is it just a gig that you try for and when there is an opening you get to play?
    It's a good question kay-gee. I've lived through the change in our local church culture from the old standby of hymns played on a piano and/or organ to the desire for more modern worship music (e.g. guitars, bass, drums, etc.). I would have to say that the majority of the time, it usually starts from within the church. It's a slow-moving process, and can sometimes take YEARS for a church to evolve into a full band.

While different churches follow different rules, most of the time, the church musicians are the church members. However, I've been on a worship team before where the musicians who were involved on the worship team attended the church; however, they were not church members (although they shared the same faith).

As far as how churches acquire praise team members, it's a mixed bag. Most of time it starts with a person playing an acoustic guitar in church, then maybe another acoustic, then maybe a bass player, then a djembe, etc. It just tends to build after a while. People will oftentimes get drafted to play just because they can play...something. For example, before I started at my current church, a drummer quit. A friend of mine (who happens to play a little) walks through the door at the beginning of practice one night, and here's what happened:

[Praise Team Leader] "Hey, you play drums, don't you?"

"Yeah."

"Ok, you're on the praise team. Get up here."

I swear, that happens more times that not.

However, some churches (like ours) now have an actual audition process. After the audition (usually held by the praise team leader in addition to a handful of other members), folks that audition are usually invited to play or are invited to play with conditions. Playing with conditions usually involves there needing to be improvement in the next few months and there will be another evaluation. If a person simply doesn't have the chops to be on the praise team, the praise team leader will meet with them beforehand and just tell them that there's no need to audition for the time being and usually will offer lessons (which he provides). While this may seem harsh, I see it as an act of protection - for both them and us. If someone is a terrible singer, there's no way he/she should be given a microphone in front of 600 people just to "be nice."

At some of the big mega churches, it's not out of the ordinary for these places to have "hired guns," be they guitar players, drummers, singers, etc. When you have a congregation of 1,500 people and a million people watching on TV, you need to have pros doing the music.

In terms of faith...

[deleted. Not permissable by forum rules. Please keep it to just drums. - Tom]
    Last edited by porkpieguy; 03-17-2015 at 09:25 AM.

User Info Menu

While different churches follow different rules, most of the time, the church musicians are the church members. However, I've been on a worship team before where the musicians who were involved on the worship team attended the church; however, they were not church members (although they shared the same faith).
    I play regularly, but am not a member of the church I play at...................not that I don't want to be................My family and I have attended regularly for over 6 years, but have never "officially" joined.

That being said.....................here are the requirements to be on our praise team:

Requirements for Praise Team:

[deleted. Not permissable by forum rules. Please keep it to just drums. - Tom]

A cooperative spirit within Praise Team. Not everyone can play/sing every week. Attitude is more important than ability.
    Last edited by longgun; 03-17-2015 at 10:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Attitude is more important than ability.

This. This right here.

Awesomely put.

User Info Menu

Again, I know it is tempting to want to talk about the churh (religion) part of drumming in a church but it must be avoided per the forum rules. If it keeps getting abused, admin might shut this section down.

Thanks for your attention to this.

User Info Menu

Thanks for your answers. I was wondering. I've been asked more than once about playing in a church and I just never know what to say.

all the best...