Thread: Phil Taylor

User Info Menu

Default Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor.. ex Motorhead drummer and sex cymbal.(do you get it.?) sorry that was a terrible joke i will move on.

Drummer - Phil Taylor
    Drumming Style - Rock
    Main Band - Motorhead

Brief Summary:Phil was Born on 21st September 1954 Chesterfield in England and took up drumming aged 13.He had some drum lessons at Leeds Music College and when those ended he had private lessons with the same teacher,an 90 year old ex military drummer.Phil is best known for the classic Motorhead songs including.. Overkill,Ace Of Spades and Bomber.He has never been enamoured with the song Ace Of Spades as he prefaired the slower songs like Jailbait or White line fever that he could get his teeth into.Phil was never a show man,their`s no stick twiddling or big solos in his playing,he was simply a part of a band not a special guest or star attraction.

Other Facts: Phil has had one or two injures over the years - he has broken his neck while in a contest with his mate to see who was the strongest.His mate lifted him above his head and drop him head first on a pool table.!Also the day before the start of a world tour he broke his hand in a fight so had to play with a drum stick gaffer taped to his hand.!

Phil Taylor`s Drum Kit...

All drums are Yamaha 9000 series

Bass Drum Pedals - Ludwig Speed Kings.

6 1/2" x 14" wood snare
    13" / 14" / 15" rack toms
    16" / 18" floor toms
    2 x 24" Bass drums

All cymbals are Zildjian.

15" Medium Hi Hats
    16" Ride crash
    16" K' thin crash
    18" Brilliant crash
    18" Heavy Rock Brilliant crash
    20" China Boy
    22" Platinum' Ride

That`s about all..some people say Mikkey Dee is the best drummer Motorhead have ever had but to me they lost something when Phil went.Those old songs just don`t sound the same with the heavier style Mikkey has.Old Phil Taylor deserve`s to be named with other Rock/Metal greats such as Nico McBrain and Dave Lombardo as he has done just as much all in the name of .

Famous Drummers

User Info Menu

Default Re: Phil Taylor

Also the name of the greatest dart player in human history, also from England. Stoke on Trent I believe. Anyway, back to drumming...

User Info Menu

Ace of Spades is a killer track man. Philthy just sits in that pocket and lets the guitars provide the beat.
    I remember seeing them on The Young Ones doing that song. He looked like he was having a blast, and rightfully so too!!
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

Phil Taylor had a unique style that fitted Motorhead to a tee. Mikkey Dee admits he can't play some of the old stuff like "Motorhead" the same way and as a result the band do not play it anymore...

Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Phil is a big inspiration for me.
    Last edited by dimitrisdrummer; 05-07-2014 at 12:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spesman View Post
    Ace of Spades is a killer track man. Philthy just sits in that pocket and lets the guitars provide the beat.
    I remember seeing them on The Young Ones doing that song. He looked like he was having a blast, and rightfully so too!!
    He sure did. I think that's anyone fave Young Ones episode.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

dahctorj Guest

Right on...Overkill!

User Info Menu

the shark drum heads are awesome lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by spesman View Post
    I think it's because while Phil was a perfect fit for the band in their early days he's actually a very sloppy and loose drummer, much more of a punk player than a metal (or as Lemmy would have it, rock and roll) drummer.

Most of the early stuff doesn't sound right when Mickey plays it because he's very tight and technically a much better player. It's very noticeable on albums like Rock 'n' Roll and 1916 (when Phil briefly rejoined) that even Pete Gill, who played on Orgasmatron, was a far better player than Phil and the playing on the later Phil albums is really quite poor.

Nobody else plays tracks like Ace of Spades and Overkill like Phil though.

It's a bit like AC/DC with Chris Slade. He's a much better player technically than Phil Rudd but the Phil stuff just doesn't sound the same when Chris plays it.

User Info Menu

Gill was not better than late Phil....Phil s drumming at No sleep tll hammersmith and Another perfect day is very good.He was very good with the hats too.I agree on Phil s second period with the band.Dee is another story...he is one of the best metal drummers ever but i dont like how he plays Taylor s songs and some of them cant play them and thats the reason the band never plays them since 1992.