Thread: Papa Jo Jones

User Info Menu

Default Papa Jo Jones

Papa Jo Jones
    Jazz
    Count Basie Orchestra

Papa Jo Jones was an American jazz drummer and pioneer in jazz percussion.

Born in Chicago, Papa Jo Jones also played with Billie Holiday, Elle Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, Lester Young, Lionel Hampton, Roy Eldridge, Chuck Berry, Buddy Tate, Benny Goodman and John Coltrane.

He passed away in 1985 at the age of 73.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Papa Jo Jones

Papa Joe----------Caravan

User Info Menu

One of the greats!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

for sure great player!

User Info Menu

One of my favorites ... always had a smile when he played ... he sure loved to play ...

User Info Menu

Drummers who don't listen to jazz are like guitarists who don't listen to jimi...maybe you don't need to, maybe there's nothing there that will help you do the music you want to do, but probably there is...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Drummers who don't listen to jazz are like guitarists who don't listen to jimi...maybe you don't need to, maybe there's nothing there that will help you do the music you want to do, but probably there is...
    True words.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jgziegler View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    True words.
    Indeed!! I love listening to jazz, just for the "percussion".. (usually it's when my glaucoma has been acting up )

User Info Menu

About the "listen to jazz thing" but on a different note(ugh!), my mentor grew up playing big bands' music and just can't lay down a decent rock groove (and doesn't like all jazz!)
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I find a lot of genre specific musicians have difficulty outside their zone. There are accomplished classical players that can't improvise even a simple country solo without sheet music.

all the best...