Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jeff Porcaro

User Info Menu

Default Re: Jeff Porcaro

Sounds like Jeff's still with us in a certain way....not only have a couple of you reg's posted something new.....just picked up a brick of his signature sticks on Thursday (at a great deal too.....saved $5 per pair for a dozen pairs...and quick delivery). Now, keep passing your magic touch onto me, Brother Jeff!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Great song.
    Joseph Williams (singer) is hilarious in the beginning.

Can anyone name the lead dancer?

(hint: she choreographed the dance scenes)
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Great song.

Paula Abdul. Yes I still have the Toto video compilation around ("Past To Present" I think it was called). On VHS

User Info Menu

As I mentioned in my first post, I have the Toto discs from 1987/88, Fahrenheit and The Seventh One, and I listen to them, even today, ALL the time. I really like this one.

I wonder how the band felt about doing videos. I know some of the older bands really disliked doing them, and I think you can tell. I liked this one; wonder what they thought. Funny, but the few scenes that included Jeff showed him being the antithesis of what he always appeared to want/be, FLASHY. Just good video, I guess, but I'm sure he must not have been comfortable with it. Or maybe it was fun for him, just to to do or be something different.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Great song.

yea i remember this one. it does look as if jeff adorned with his sig vest did get into it.
    honestly both jeff and his brother mike on bass are the only two that don't look ridiculous in this vid, lot of fun!

jeff was my first inspiration too, really crushed me when he passed. it is a shame how little vid we have.

this still audio is said to be running a bit fast which you can hear but i think it still a good listen, though i wish i had the tech to dial it back for its a stellar performance. check goodbye girl at 53:00, and white sister at 1:01:53 what a burner!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5QQ9jN7hXo

i can only add that jeff was a bit of an artist/designer and i know he was crazy about jimi hendricks.
    don't put off till tomorrow what you can put off today

User Info Menu

Regarding Hendrix, I read that too, and not Mitch Mitchell's drumming, Hendrix himself as an artist. He made the point that even those who can play his stuff don't capture the 'feel' he had, which is the whole point, isn't it?
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    As I mentioned in my first post, I have the Toto discs from 1987/88, Fahrenheit and The Seventh One, and I listen to them, even today, ALL the time. I really like this one.

I wonder how the band felt about doing videos. I know some of the older bands really disliked doing them, and I think you can tell. I liked this one; wonder what they thought. Funny, but the few scenes that included Jeff showed him being the antithesis of what he always appeared to want/be, FLASHY. Just good video, I guess, but I'm sure he must not have been comfortable with it. Or maybe it was fun for him, just to to do or be something different.
    Read somewhere that Jeff actually co-directed this video, or something to that effect. Might double-check that with a guitarist mate who's a walking encyclopedia of this stuff. When we had first seen this clip, he was having a right chuckle on how overdrenched the effects were on Steve Lukather's guitar solo. In fact Marty (my mate) had copied for me the Fahrenheit, Seventh One and Isolation albums before he relocated to Singapore....I think I would have figured out loads of Porcaro licks from those albums and the other classics.....Toto IV, The debut album, Hydra, Turn Back, Kingdom Of Desire. Oh yeah, and you need to definitely check out Jeff's, Lukather's and other Toto member's work with Boz Scaggs in their heyday too.

But can I do the Rosanna shuffle? Errr...not in this lifetime matey, not in this one.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 11-11-2013 at 08:37 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by onegourd View Post
    ...jeff was my first inspiration too, really crushed me when he passed. it is a shame how little vid we have.

this still audio is said to be running a bit fast which you can hear but i think it still a good listen, though i wish i had the tech to dial it back for its a stellar performance. check goodbye girl at 53:00, and white sister at 1:01:53 what a burner!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5QQ9jN7hXo
    Thanks for the link! I finally got around to listening, and it was really cool, though a touch fast...I, too, wish I knew how to fix that. I tried to figure out how to contact the originator to see if something closer to the original media was available to try just that, but no luck so far.

The whole show was great!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Read somewhere that Jeff actually co-directed this video, or something to that effect. Might double-check that with a guitarist mate who's a walking encyclopedia of this stuff...

...Oh yeah, and you need to definitely check out Jeff's, Lukather's and other Toto member's work with Boz Scaggs in their heyday too.

But can I do the Rosanna shuffle? Errr...not in this lifetime matey, not in this one.
    Would be cool to know if that's true or not...it would help to put together more about Jeff's life, in perspective, for me. I will, for sure, look at those guys when they were the rhythm section for Boz.

Um, yeah, the Rosanna shuffle...hmmm...I watched the training video that's posted on YouTube where he talked about combining Purdie/Bonham licks to get that shuffle. Like I could play either of THOSE any more easily than Jeff's version

User Info Menu

Does anyone know of ANY drum isolation audio/video for anything Jeff Porcaro did? I'm thinking of many of the various singing/guitar/other drum tracks that seemed to be popping up on YouTube not too long ago, for example, there is/was a ton of Van Halen isolated tracks, like David Lee Roth singing isolated (a real trip, without any backing ). Those early Van Halen days were contemporary (or almost) with some of Jeff's early work with Boz Scaggs (gotta see this vid of Lido Shuffle, fantastic, not only for Jeff's parts, but all of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Brlp...F5A37574F2F91C), so the tapes with all the separate parts, including the drum tracks, must be there. I don't know how those isolation tracks were found, or made available, but I'd give a lot to hear any of those for Toto or Jeff, isolated, or any Toto/Porcaro studio outtakes. I love the very short YouTube video done by the studio engineer where Steve Lukather, and Mike and Jeff Porcaro, break into 'Manic Depression' at the end, and there is a voice (Jeff?) at the very end saying 'Hey kids, if your dad ever tells you he had a hard day at work, don't believe 'im )

User Info Menu

- Zack

User Info Menu

Weasel...brother,,,ya made me cry on more than one level,,,and yes im cryin as i listen & write this now,,,somehow,,,you & i think much alike more than you'll ever know:these are facts;,,: I woke up wif this song in my head today,brother jeff still speaks to me on days i practice,play,or record,,,,everytime i hear that couplet @ the end of the verses the setup the "outro" his boot scootin forward & back reminds me of da lesson,,,i feel brothr jeff smilin dat groove & remining me to relax & do the same......i am also taken down the strange twist in the road & reminded how many good times ive had over da years wif michaels sisters band,,,or seein michael come up da driveway *& realizin my life was changin ,,,,,again,,....
    God bless ya for this buddy & on behalf of brother jeff as i do my own part to "play it forward " i remind ya jeff would just smile & say"""",,,,its all about da groove".....have a phroggetastic day ,,,,,wont y'all?????
    Last edited by PHROGGE; 11-19-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    i remind ya jeff would just smile & say"""",,,,its all about da groove"...
    Exactly Brother Phrogge, exactly. Have a phroggetastic day too matey.

User Info Menu

Thought I'd might share these. Jeff grooves are pretty tasty to play around with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    Soul Train vid with Jeff playing along...

User Info Menu