Thread: Jon Farriss

User Info Menu

Default Jon Farriss

Jon Farriss

Drummer: Jonathon James "Jon" Farriss
    Main Style: Funk Rock
    Main Band: INXS
    Brief Summary: After having a name change from The Farriss Brothers (Jon, Tim on guitar and Andrew on keyboards were the reason why the first name choice), INXS were at first a New Wave band with a ska-pop style (the album "Underneath The Colours" being an example) but later, with albums like "Shabooh Shoobah" and the hugely successful "The Swing", INXS and Jon's danceable, funky rock playing threw a highlight on Australian rock success for years to come. Like other members of INXS, Jon is an able song writer, more often in collaboration with INXS's late singer Michael Hutchence.

Other Facts: Well known for integrating acoustic drums with electronic pads, sequencers and drum machines live and in the studio, Jon started using Rototoms as his main rack toms on the "Shabooh Shoobah" album and tour. Later on he got Pearl to design some shallow shells to surround his Rototoms (as well as he used their Pearl electronic drum pads, which resembled Simmon's hexagonal pads at the time).

Jon also subbed three gigs for Simon Phillips in October 2003 when Phillips had some serious illness and couldn't make part of Toto's Night Of The Proms tour (the rest of the two months were handled by Phil Collin's Ricky Lawson).
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: Jon Farriss

Hey Drumble, thanx for posting this one mate.
    Jon has always been one of my fav Aussie drummers. The Swing was the first album I owned and I played it that much, I wore out the stylus on my record player!!
    His ability of sitting in the groove never ceases to amaze me. Great player with great chops.
    Cheers bud.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......

User Info Menu

My favorite drummer. I think he is very under appreciated.

User Info Menu

Never heard of him or his band but ill check them out. I just started playing funk a couple months ago its fun and it loosens me up, i like Blue King Brown they are awesome. Are there any good fun songs by these guys i should check out?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GoyaDrumr! View Post
    Never heard of him or his band but ill check them out. I just started playing funk a couple months ago its fun and it loosens me up, i like Blue King Brown they are awesome. Are there any good fun songs by these guys i should check out?
    Wow you've never heard of INXS?
    If you wanna check them out at their best, rent the "Live Baby Live" live dvd. They recorded it at Wembly Stadium to a sold out crowd. It's an epic show to say the least. At least you'll get an idea of all their best tracks.
    Tama Rockstar & Paiste User and Abuser......