Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to become a moderator

User Info Menu

Default How to become a moderator

How do you get to be a moderator for DC?
    What are the requirements to become one?
    Besides being highly respected to begin with..
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Re: How to become a moderator

Iv actually wondered about this for a while too... Mods?
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

Send $100 to "Tom" at...

Drum Bum
    3821 Gaskins Rd.
    Richmond, Va 23233

Don't forget to include a photo of your girlfriend or wife.

User Info Menu

Can I just spend $100 at drum bum and send you a picture of what I buy?
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

How about an IOU? Will you accept that?
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I would say soul, but PB is a mod so I guess that's not a requirement.

I'd imagine just a long time being here as a contributing member with a good track record could eventually put you in consideration for mod status. But to be a mod here, it looks like you have to be pretty darn good. I mean look at those guys.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Just teasing.

Yea, I don't know that there's any strict criteria other than being a good, solid dedicated member that shows good judgement. We don't have an immediate need but anybody that expresses an interest can PM me and I'll put them on the list of interested parties for when the need arises.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=drummer;423679]Just teasing.

Yea, I don't know that there's any strict criteria other than being a good, solid dedicated member that shows good judgement

QUOTE]

........and has a burning desire to eat bacon
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

[quote=gonefishin;423701]
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Just teasing.

Yea, I don't know that there's any strict criteria other than being a good, solid dedicated member that shows good judgement

QUOTE]

........and has a burning desire to eat bacon

Oooops, did I just give away how I was going to cast my vote.
    slot # 1

In support of l e i g h ' s campaign..............DC Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.php/dc-record-most-users-12079p2.html

CHARTER MEMBER OF PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

The Zildjian League
    Zildjian Vintage A Team

RIP Frank.............thanks for being part of my journey

User Info Menu

hummmm

i think i will never be able to be a mod

i am too emotive and i don't have 100.00 to give

i think they earn some $$$$$ to be mod

the worst job here

i better be a good member then a bad mod

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

+ = Moderator

User Info Menu

I've been a moderator on a site before - a trumpet player's forum. When ownership of the site changed hands, a decision was made to have mainly well-known players be moderators - not super famous people, but folks fairly well known and respected in the professional trumpet players community - so any common guys like me got dumped as mods and replaced with those other people.

Honestly, I'm not sure that it's really that big of a deal, and you get the thankless task of enforcing whatever body of rules exists, whether you particularly like them or not. This forum has much stricter posting rules than ours did, so I didn't have to do much other than kind of monitor conversation in my respective area and only had to intervene when something was really offensive or incendiary. Still, it meant that I had to log in several times a day, just to make sure that everything was going smoothly.

In any case, sometimes it becomes a pretty thankless duty - the mods here do a great job and they certainly don't need my help to keep things on an even keel.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

To me being a Mod is not the easiest job here and I would not want to have it. First you have to basicaly live on this Forum to catch the threads that are against the rules and to stop and warn the members when topic get too hot etc. Most members think that the more post numbers you have the more chance of getting to be a MOd. Not true cause some just answer every thread just to get their numbers up regardless of what the topic is. That is what I think but I could be wrong

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Most members think that the more post numbers you have the more chance of getting to be a MOd. Not true cause some just answer every thread just to get their numbers up regardless of what the topic is. That is what I think but I could be wrong
    I don't post either for post count or with the idea that I might somehow get to be a moderator - I just want to learn more and contribute if I can, and I pretty much only get involved in threads that meet those criteria. The reason I'm in this one is because I have been a moderator - it was kind of cool in a way, having a certain amount of power within the forum, but like you said, you have to deal with bad threads, trolls, etc - and you have to be online enough to catch it quick before things get really out of hand.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Seems like it would be a lot of fun to me. I was under the impression you had to be noticed by at least one mod and recommended to the admin. Following the rules, engaging in conversations appropriately, supporting the site, reporting trouble when you see it, etc. What happens when you become a moderator here? Is there a special lounge where they discuss forum activity? Is it a real paying job, or is it on a volunteer basis? What are the requirements and expectations? Just wondered.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Seems like it would be a lot of fun to me. I was under the impression you had to be noticed by at least one mod and recommended to the admin. Following the rules, engaging in conversations appropriately, supporting the site, reporting trouble when you see it, etc. What happens when you become a moderator here? Is there a special lounge where they discuss forum activity? Is it a real paying job, or is it on a volunteer basis? What are the requirements and expectations? Just wondered.
    and for the pay i ask a case of beer and they didn't agree

so i stay a member

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

I'll try to answer what I can.

There is no pay. It's all voluntary.
    Some other criteria that helps is being on a lot and being able to locate the trouble posts and commercial links and then dealing with them in a positive respectful manner.

You don't necessarily have to have the most posts nor do you have to know anything about drumming to moderate. You do have to be totally aware of the rules and keep the peace.

Our lounge is PMs.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Is there a special lounge where they discuss forum activity? Is it a real paying job, or is it on a volunteer basis? What are the requirements and expectations? Just wondered.
    On the trumpet players board there was a special section for Mods only, and we had various threads going related to things going on with the rest of the board.

I was a bit miffed when I was kicked off the moderation team for no other reason than I wasn't a well-known professional player. I did a good job as a moderator and didn't abuse the authority I had within the forum, but that's just how it goes sometimes. They felt that by adding known pro players as the moderators that the board would draw more people. It's still a distant second of the two biggest trumpet player's forums, but it does pretty well.

Regarding boards in general, I used to spend a lot of time on the Pearl Drummers Forum, and I still do go over there from time to time, but for the most part, I think that while this board doesn't have the quantity of posts and users, the quality is much higher - fewer trolls, less pointless threads - that kind of thing, and that's because of the rules and the mods here - they do a really good job IMO.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Wow. I was not expecting this post to be this popular :P

I love bacon! Does that mean I can be a mod?? :D lol just kidding

Well lets hear a round of applause for the mods! Just look at how cool this site is! And for the most part troll-free! All because of those guys!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

i think you would need a lot of time on your hands.....
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Our lounge is PMs.
    I kept mis-reading this, i was quite confused for a while

User Info Menu

Oh, oh, oh! Question: Are there free cookies and bacon in the lounge?
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

...so how's the special lounge Russ?
    Better the devil you know, than you don't know! (Better the devil you know, the real devil is me!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Howzit View Post
    ...so how's the special lounge Russ?
    Nice thread revival Howzit!

I think Russ is enjoying his bacon and cookies in the special lounge right now :P
    But I could be mistaken...
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    I would say soul, but PB is a mod so I guess that's not a requirement.
    I just saw this! How did you know?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!