Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keith Moon

User Info Menu

Default Keith Moon

Keith Moon

Drummer: Keith Moon
    Main Style: Rock
    Main Band: The Who
    Brief Summary: Keith John Moon (23 August 1946 – 7 September 1978) was an English musician, best known for being the drummer of the English rock group The Who. He gained fame for his exuberant and innovative drumming style, and notoriety for his eccentric and often self-destructive behaviour, earning him the nickname "Moon the Loon". Moon joined The Who in 1964. He played on all albums and singles from their debut, 1964's "Zoot Suit", to 1978's Who Are You, which was released three weeks before his death.

Moon was known for dramatic, suspenseful drumming—often eschewing basic back beats for a fluid, busy technique focused on fast, cascading rolls across the toms, ambidextrous double bass drum work and wild cymbal crashes and washes. He is mentioned in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as one of the greatest of all rock and roll drummers, and was posthumously inducted into the Rock Hall as a member of The Who in 1990.

Moon's legacy, as a member of The Who, as a solo artist, and as an eccentric personality, continues to redeem awards and praise, including a Rolling Stone readers' pick placing him in second place of the magazine's "best drummers of all time" in 2011, nearly 35 years after his death.

Other Facts: According to Pete Townshend, Moon's reputation for erratic behaviour was something he cultivated. Once, on the way to an airport, Moon insisted they return to their hotel, saying, "I forgot something. We've got to go back!" When the limo returned, Moon ran to his room, grabbed the television while it was plugged in, threw it out the window and into the pool. He then jumped back into the limousine, sighing "I nearly forgot".
    Last edited by Olimpass; 09-02-2011 at 07:15 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Keith Moon

Join Together
    Last edited by Olimpass; 02-24-2018 at 09:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Do you know anything about his drum setup? I looks as though he has mutiple drums the same size? Did he tune these differently or is it just that they look the same size?
    ~Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire.- Reggie Leach~

User Info Menu

I think he had a bunch of 14 inch toms. Correct me if I wrong though. I do not know how they were tuned. But as shallow as they were, I imagine they were all different.

dave0549jv Guest

I believe he also drove a car into a swimming pool at one point as well.

I wanna be keith moon when i grow up. except for the whole dead at 32 thing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post
    I believe he also drove a car into a swimming pool at one point as well.
    i heard that one too.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Heh, he destroyed his drum set after every show. For all I know he had his techs set up a new drum set every day. Keith Moon is one of my favourite drummers. He inspired me to start playing drums, even 40 years after he died... the way I use the snare drum is inspired by him. I know it sounds strange right? :P But I remember I used to play rockband and I would hit the fills in "Won't Get Fooled Again" Perfectly, that was a while ago, before I actually bought a drum set.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

he had fun drumming, i watched an old Who show on cable last week and the guy just giggled and had fun. lucky man, missed dearly.

it was a duck pond, many dispute it, but he did it, and he did it at another time, he had charged the new car to the band and the band refused so he drove it into the pond and called the dealer to tell them to pick it up, duck pond+Chrysler Wimbleton into pond turned into Rolls Royce into Holiday Inn pool, when in fact the members of Hermans Hermits decided to pull Moons pants down at a party on his 21st birthday at the Holiday Inn in Michigan. he was so embarrased he ran out of the banquet room, tripped and broke his front tooth then was swiftly transported to the hospital. the myth was he drove the Rolls into the pool and broke his tooth
    he had no underwear on when he got depants.
    thats the true story
    Last edited by kyle102565; 09-15-2011 at 10:13 PM.

User Info Menu

a sad loss; imagine if he was still around now; would love to see a duet with him and Stewart Copeland!
    If you are going through hell...keep going!

User Info Menu

One of Neil Peart's early influences. In fact, Neil used to gig around in his pre-Rush days with a Who covers band, playing material like the Quadrophenia stuff on a Rogers kit, so I read somewhere. Now that (plus a time machine...lil' Rush pun) I would pay to see!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I wouldn't touch this one with a 10 foot fork.

User Info Menu

That guy was crazy. I mean I never realy liked the sound of his drums or the whole band they sounded to much treble for me. I like some bass in my music and they did not have it. Still they were popular especially with their Tommy opera.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    That guy was crazy. I mean I never realy liked the sound of his drums or the whole band they sounded to much treble for me. I like some bass in my music and they did not have it.
    Too much treble? With the legendary John Entwistle Bass?! HA! come on man! Probably one of the most famous bass players of all time?! Although I read he did have his bass at full treble and volume high with the roundwound RotoSound steel bass strings.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 09-22-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: added info

User Info Menu

I remember watching a vid of when he put gunpowder or something in his bass drum. It was for the New Year's thing, and when it reached 12:00 A.M. he set it off. Apparently HE himself didn't know how much gunpower he put in there, because it also I think it caused a loss of hearing in Keith and the other band members. Wow.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    I remember watching a vid of when he put gunpowder or something in his bass drum. It was for the New Year's thing, and when it reached 12:00 A.M. he set it off. Apparently HE himself didn't know how much gunpower he put in there, because it also I think it caused a loss of hearing in Keith and the other band members. Wow.
    He had explosives in his bass drums for "My Generation". When the Who were on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour in 1967, he put in a double charge. One of the roadies did not knkow about this and added the usual amount to that. When the charge went off, Moon was blown off the drum riser. It went off close to Pete's ear. When the smoke cleared, Tommy Smothers came onstage with a cheap guitar, which Pete demolished. Tommy's response was, "Hey, ****, can we see your bass?"
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Olimpass; 02-24-2018 at 09:07 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Yep that's the one I was looking for lol, I can't believe it.. That guy was really off his rocker
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    Yep that's the one I was looking for lol, I can't believe it.. That guy was really off his rocker

Moon missed his rocker by 3,000 miles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Moon missed his rocker by 3,000 miles.
    Naa, I would say he missed it by the distance of the "Moon" to the Sun.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

He was way off his rocker man he looked like a mad man when he played.
    This is what I found out on his drums

The 'Spirit of Lily' drumset features Premier Series Birch drums with authentic replica artwork finish with Premier Series lugs, fittings and die-cast hoops. The set up emulates the original 8-pc setup and comprises;

14" x 8" Mounted Toms x 3
    16" x 16" Floor Toms x 2
    22" x 14" Bass drums x 2
    14" x 5.5" Steel Snare Drum

So his drums where pretty well the same size just tuned differently I guess.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 09-23-2011 at 07:33 AM.

User Info Menu

I love Moon, that guy was an awesome drummer. One of my favourites. I'd highly recommend reading 'Dear boy: The life of Keith Moon'. Although I think it was released under a different name in the US.

User Info Menu

Just Keith and Pete having a chat..

User Info Menu

Keith Moon was the original "Animal" IMO

User Info Menu

Found this: Moon passes out and a lucky audience member gets to play

Last edited by Olimpass; 02-24-2018 at 09:07 AM.

User Info Menu

who needs a hi hat anyway?!!