Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A7x

User Info Menu

Default A7x

does anyone here listen to Avenged Sevenfold and if you do what do you think about the discussion about their new sound?
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

"what do you think about the discussion about their new sound?"

EH?

User Info Menu

what i mean is people keep arguing about how a7x sold out when m shadows stopped screaming. also about how they've "softened" up a little what do you guys think about that.

User Info Menu

I think you should listen to less overproduced and undertalented radio bands.

User Info Menu

why? i love A7X i've listened to them since the first album and stuck with em the entire time. They are my favorite band. so no. and that' s your opinion

User Info Menu

I'm not being hostile. Yeah that's my opinion and you don't have to listen to me. I mean who am I right?

I just feel like the music from major labels, especially modern radio pop/rock, is just watered down. It's all very formulaic. You know short verse, longer catchy chorus, short verse, longer catchy chorus, breakdown (ususally a version of the chorus), repeat chorus 4-8 times.

Listen to what you like. But do me favor, dig deep. There are bands out there that rock, and carry that emotion you look for. But do things in a much more innovative and creative way. It could open alot of doors for you.

User Info Menu

I think they are ay overrated and nowhere near as good as they think they are. Also i agree with El Presidentes comment about stuff being watered down.

User Info Menu

Problem is, everyone is used to this kind of watered down stuff nowadays. So people get something new, it puts off some newcomers, they tweak stuff around a bit to widen their audience and BAM! They're just another mainstream band :(
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

i'm still a a7x fan till the day i day

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente
    I'm not being hostile. Yeah that's my opinion and you don't have to listen to me. I mean who am I right?

I just feel like the music from major labels, especially modern radio pop/rock, is just watered down. It's all very formulaic. You know short verse, longer catchy chorus, short verse, longer catchy chorus, breakdown (ususally a version of the chorus), repeat chorus 4-8 times.

Listen to what you like. But do me favor, dig deep. There are bands out there that rock, and carry that emotion you look for. But do things in a much more innovative and creative way. It could open alot of doors for you.
    Well said and much agreed man. As for this thread, im not a fan of the band, doesnt mean they arent talented though. I havent heard enough to judge. If they have softened up and are losing fanbase they will go back to the old ways, look at Megadeth or Metallica, they each tried new things and lost fans left and right but have put out amazing albums since. Megadeth released Risk which doesnt even sound like them or metal, Metallica released St. Anger and if any of you have heard that album i do not need to discuss the atrocity of it compared to other albums. Theres my two cents

User Info Menu

Also as Keef would have said, they dont get behind the roll!

User Info Menu

Well, Ringo I too am an A7X fan - as to the discussion abut their sound and Shadows not sceaming- the only ones who say it are the ones who don't seem to realise he has only stopped screaming so he won't lose his voice permanatley - I mean, he has needed three surgeries on his throat for bursting his vochal chords. He isn't supposed to sing at all.

Even without that though - a band that keeps the exact same sound for too long goes stale, and people get bored with them. I personally think the new album is great, and songs like "Sindewinder" show just another level and side to them and their talent. For those saying they are over produced etc... How many metal/hard rock bands go into flamenco style for their songs - especially "mainstream" ones?

Also, comparing A7X to most mainstream bands in the genre - at least A7X still have kept solo's in their songs, they still do instrumentals - and how exactly have they gone soft/watered down when songs like "Warmness on the Soul" are from the earlier albums? Also, despite his now limited vocal capacity - "Beast and the Harlot", even live, he still lets rip - same as when they do stuff like "Eternal Rest" - albeit with a little help from the Rev.

Sorry, but I don't think they have sold out, I think it is just them seeing what they can do and exploring other areas of music. If I was gonna choose between recent Metallica (from like, Load, onwards) or A7X - I chose A7X handsdown. If it wre between old Metallica and A7X - probably still choose A7X at least half the time - just because it is newer, and reminds of those odler days of Metallica - before they "sold out" - as people like to say. Also the whole "breakdown" thing - they don't do that anymore either, so, so far everything that has been claimed about them isn't right.

You don't like them for whatever reason - fine, you don't have to, but don't tell people what to listen to just because you think a band is over produced. As far as the "talent" thing goes - there are allot of bans out there that are waaaaaaay less talented that the guys from A7X - I really don't see how people could say they aren't talented?
    Last edited by crazymanwithaplunger; 06-14-2007 at 05:38 PM.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I think red hot chili peppers has talent

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by michiganice
    Not sure what that's go to do with A7X - but hey - you like chilli peppers, sure, they're cool - i like some of their stuff too.

User Info Menu

I just hate people who want the old A7X back as in waking the fallen and sounding the seventh trumpet. Because those people are the ones who say that sevenfold "soldout" or has no talent. it's just a shame too see people turn the other cheek like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo
    I just hate people who want the old A7X back as in waking the fallen and sounding the seventh trumpet. Because those people are the ones who say that sevenfold "soldout" or has no talent. it's just a shame too see people turn the other cheek like that.
    Yeah. Personally, not a huge fan of Seventh Trumpet - a bit too much screaming and and that for my tastes personally - but Waking the Fallen is a top album and I think City of Evil is fantastic - but that's me.

The ones who reckon they "sold out" to me are the sorts of peope who only like stuff that isn't popular, and that's why they like it - it has to be underground or else it's crap, no matter how good it might be, no matter how talneted they might be - it's like, just because the bands get popular and famous and stuff - suddenly they are a sellout - these are the sort of "fans" that Tool's song "Hooker With a Penis" is about - those are the fans that get me annoyed too Ringo - trust me I feel your pain.

User Info Menu

thanks cmwa plunger

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by michiganice
    But they sold out!!!!11!!!shift+one

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog
    But they sold out!!!!11!!!shift+one
    Is that a joke? how did they sell out? i'm assuming that was a joke.

User Info Menu

Yeah it's a joke, and a very poor one.
    However, when you consider the sound they used to make (BloodSugarSexMagik and before it) and the sound they make now (By The Way and Stadium Arcadium) something's changed with the sound...
    Don't get me wrong, they're a great band - probably even my favourite - but the music has taken a different direction to their roots. A completely different direction.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog
    Yeah it's a joke, and a very poor one.
    However, when you consider the sound they used to make (BloodSugarSexMagik and before it) and the sound they make now (By The Way and Stadium Arcadium) something's changed with the sound...
    Don't get me wrong, they're a great band - probably even my favourite - but the music has taken a different direction to their roots. A completely different direction.
    Yeah, I know what you mean - less of that early grunge/rock influence that they used to have - very funk oriented nowadays.

User Info Menu

everybody's changin'

User Info Menu

RHCP almost sounded like rock/rap in the 80's/ early 90's

User Info Menu

you mean like when aerosmith and public enemy did the walk this way thing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger
    Yeah, I know what you mean - less of that early grunge/rock influence that they used to have - very funk oriented nowadays.
    woah no i'd say tis the other way around!
    they were really heavily into funk in the 1990's and before but along comes by the way and everything is nice and selling well and they fit that groove...they lost their edge to be honest.
    for example i mean they swear less in their songs, don't get me wrong i think songs that swear cos they can are lame but to me it just shows me that they are just taking another step towards being more radio friendly. now they're beginning to sound just like any other radio rock band ;(

(sorry for the grammar and spelling have had a few to drink )