Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kick mic

User Info Menu

Default Kick mic

Who has tried a Nady SP-1 on their kick drum? Would someone be willing to post a video of it? And what are some low bass impedance (I think thats what it's called) mics for cheap? Thanks, you guys are great!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kick mic

you will find the majority of us use the big 4 (beta52,D6,D112,E602)

might have better luck looking in youtube, google video etc

User Info Menu

the shure sm 58 does surprisingly well on a bass drum, not as good as the "big 4" but it still does ok
    MAPEX MAFIA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chafey View Post
    the shure sm 58 does surprisingly well on a bass drum, not as good as the "big 4" but it still does ok
    Looks good, but not as cheap as want it to be. Any experience on the Nady SP-1 for the kick? Anyone?
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

im sorry but if your using a "cheep" vocal mic for a kick drum don't expect the diaphragm to work effectively with such a crazy amount pressure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    im sorry but if your using a "cheep" vocal mic for a kick drum don't expect the diaphragm to work effectively with such a crazy amount pressure
    Hmm, I know I won't get as good quality as a Beta52 or something, but can you explain what you mean by "crazy amount of pressure" a bit more in depth?
    Does it have to do with the mic placement also?
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    ...can you explain what you mean by "crazy amount of pressure" a bit more in depth...
    Good afternoon, DrumRookie...
    I may be wrong (yes, it has been known; rarely, but imaginable...), but I rather think that a bit of background reading might help you somewhat. I realise that we all have to start somewhere, and your questins raised are reasonable, but it seems to me that there is a basic lack of fundamental knowledge (my apologies if I'm wrong, no insult intended...).
    There are quite a few sources out there on the web that could help you out; here's one (non-commercial link...)...
    Drum recording basics/
    ...a quick search will find more.
    To answer your question directly, just the same, I use a quite low-cost drum mic set from Superlux, including the FK-2 for bass drum (I've even built one into my Camco...). Records well, and successful for 'live' work. If you've nothing better, use what you have, but if you're thinking of buying a mic, this one is suitable, imho.
    Hope this helps...
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353 View Post
    Good afternoon, DrumRookie...
    I may be wrong (yes, it has been known; rarely, but imaginable...), but I rather think that a bit of background reading might help you somewhat. I realise that we all have to start somewhere, and your questins raised are reasonable, but it seems to me that there is a basic lack of fundamental knowledge (my apologies if I'm wrong, no insult intended...).
    There are quite a few sources out there on the web that could help you out; here's one (non-commercial link...)...
    Drum recording basics/
    ...a quick search will find more.
    To answer your question directly, just the same, I use a quite low-cost drum mic set from Superlux, including the FK-2 for bass drum (I've even built one into my Camco...). Records well, and successful for 'live' work. If you've nothing better, use what you have, but if you're thinking of buying a mic, this one is suitable, imho.
    Hope this helps...
    Thanks for that post, I'll be sure to look into that link.
    I'm new to recording, and I want to have the basic materials needed to get a decent sound out of my set, so the way I'm looking at it is:

Get decent stuff first, learn later.

I have researched quite a bit about mics, so I'm not completely not in the know about mics. I just don't know all the technical terms yet, hopefully your link you sent me will help on that.

Oh, yeah and the post wasn't insulting at all!
    (I have looked into the FK-2, but I have not found a place to buy it.. Any ideas?)
    Thanks for the input!
    Last edited by DrumRookie; 09-06-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

I use a lesser costing mic on kick, picks it up pretty well. That sp-1 is definitely not what you want on kick though, it's meant for vocals. Check the frequency ranges when shopping, it's a good idea to have something a lot lower frequency for kick. What's your price range for a kick mic?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

$10 to $20. :P

When I get more dough I might be a bit more spendy.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

$10 to $20...
    For that price, I'd use a loudspeaker wired up as a mic (no, it's not a joke, it works quite well...)
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Headphones are also usable mics. Try plugging them into the mic in on your computer, instead of the input with headphone symbol on it. If it's just for now, that's the cheapest way. Results are okay, but real dynamic kick mics will be a nice upgrade.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    The Nady SP-1 is a dynamic mic - same basic functionality as an SM57 or 58, and they can handle a high sound pressure levels - the problem is that mic won't have a lot of lows - but it will be able to handle the pressure.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Because thats a vocal mic, its not going to have the low end that a bass/kick mic will. youll get all click no punch.

I know samson is a less looked at brand. but cobus has been rocking samson drum mics for a long time and gets an incredible sound from them. They run like $150 or so for a set of them.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I use the Shure BETA91A for my kick drum. You can now find them on the bay and other places for about $200. When I got mine new it was something like $450. It is an incredible sounding microphone and very easy to use.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

You're not going to find anything of use for $10- $20.....you may need to re evaluate your needs/wants..

User Info Menu

@Russ, I have tried that with my kit, but I'll try putting it in front of my bass drum, I don't want to ruin my headphones though...

@Zeta, I completely agree with you on that one. But I saw a video of someone getting a decent sound out of their bass drum using a Nady SP-1. Nothing really punchy and meaty (I really want my kick to sound like the Roland TD-9 preset kick drum sound labeled "Meat" one day)

@Dad3353

That sounds like a good add on if I get the Nady, or maybe even a stand alone! Can you tell me were some instructions are for that, or how you would go about doing it? I would love to try that!

@ntn2it
    Yes, I would love to get something like that later on, but thats practically my entire recording budget alone for that mic! Thanks for the input, I'll keep the name of that mic on file label under "stuff to buy when I get a job (or rich, whatever comes first)" Thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it!

@trickg
    Thanks for clearing that up, that makes sense now.

@funkyruss
    Not true. I can find a Nady SP-1 that would work. Will it sound like crap? Probably.
    I'm not looking for something that sounds killer at the moment, but I will be soon!
    Thanks for the input though, I appreciate it!

TOO ALL:
    Remember, I plan on upgrading the kick mic a few months or so after I get the cash to purchase all the mic's I need currently. Maybe a DM60 or a Samson, I don't know yet, I just need some mics for now.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

Sorry about my earlier post. I wasn't really sure what you total budget was. A really nice kit of microphones that will do a great job for you is the CAD Pro7 set. You get a kick drum mic, a snare mic, 3 tom mics, and 2 overheads for $130. I forgot to mention that they already come with drum clips. The bass drum mic doesn't but it does come with the attachment for a boom stand.

Have you checked out any pawn shops at all. I am always finding used microphones for dirt cheap at my local pawn shops. That might be an option for you as well.
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ntn2it View Post
    Sorry about my earlier post. I wasn't really sure what you total budget was. A really nice kit of microphones that will do a great job for you is the CAD Pro7 set. You get a kick drum mic, a snare mic, 3 tom mics, and 2 overheads for $130. I forgot to mention that they already come with drum clips. The bass drum mic doesn't but it does come with the attachment for a boom stand.
    +1
    That is where I have started. They are not the best mics, but they are good enough to get you started, and help you learn how to record the drums. Later on you can replace them one by one as you earn the money to do so.

The other key to good recordings is to learn how to position the mics, and to control the way sound waves move through the room in which you are recording.

BTW, you might be able to get away with using the Nady mic on your snare, especially if you like higher tunings. I just think you would be giving away too much lower end punch to use it on a bass drum.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=DrumRookie;425437...Can you tell me were some instructions are for that, or how you would go about doing it?...[/QUOTE]
    Good evening, DrumRookie...

Try this (non-commercial link...)...

How-to-make-a-microphone-from-a-speaker

...which I found easily enough by searching "how to make a microphone using speaker". Plenty enough replies to read through...
    Same search method for "Superlux DRK-F5H3" will bring up details of the mic kit I use (I won't link directly here, as it's commercial...)
    Hope this helps...
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

@Russ, I have tried that with my kit, but I'll try putting it in front of my bass drum, I don't want to ruin my headphones though...

You won't, but the headphones need to be a certain distance away.

TOO ALL:
    Remember, I plan on upgrading the kick mic a few months or so after I get the cash to purchase all the mic's I need currently. Maybe a DM60 or a Samson, I don't know yet, I just need some mics for now.
    I use the samson kick mics, they are rather good for the money. Around $40 or so singly on ebay if you can find them, but I bought them along with other microphones in a pack of samsons. No complaints yet, you just need to learn how to use them correctly and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353 View Post
    For that price, I'd use a loudspeaker wired up as a mic (no, it's not a joke, it works quite well...)
    Maybe doing this with the nady would get you a pretty good sound. who knows, but you could be the guy to find out for us

The speaker will get you the low lows, and the nady with get you mids.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

My bro and I built a subkick mic with a sub speaker and a few reistors and wiring. Works every bit as good as the one yamaha sells and I built mine for a total of about 15 bucks as I already had a speaker laying around. Remember in that hertz range you feel the sound more than hear it and this setup is used to reinforce the low end from your other mic (i.e.d6) Just shoot me a PM if you want the details on wiring and housing build out.

User Info Menu

@ntn2it

Yeah, I really want to get a kit like that, BUT I need to get a cheap interface with enough inputs, and I don't think XLR to TRS 1/4 would really be cost effective if I wanted to use the Alesis iO2. And I would have to buy the cables and stands, so it could add up.
    Thank you sooo much for mentioning pawn shops! I haven't even looked there yet! :D Thank you!

@Pastor_Bob
    Yeah, thats true. But I guess I just have to work within my budget until I can afford a bigger interface, more higher quality mics, and a better computer. I will be upgrading after I buy the mics I can afford at the moment. But I'll try to work with what I will be buying. I will also be able to upgrade quicker, because then I can sell all of the recording gear I buy, and put all that towards the new mics and interfaces.
    And with the Nady on the kick I might take Dad3353's suggestion of making a subkick to enhance the low end, so that could work out pretty good!
    Thanks for the tips Pastor_Bob! :D

@Dad3353
    Thanks for the link, I just saw that same instructable yesterday, it just looks kind of hard. But I think I might give it a shot :D

@Russ
    Thanks, those actually might fit into my budget! I'll look into those, or maybe I can get lucky and find one at a pawn shop

@Zeta
    Yeah, I can be the guy that makes a new, revolutionary discovery, or not.. :P
    Thats exactly what I was thinking too, so I think I might give it a shot!

@nucjd
    Thanks, I'm going to PM you in a sec.
    I was thinking to reinforce the subkick with the Nady, just like Zeta and that other guy were talking about. Your method of making a subkick sounds like it could be a tad easier than the instructable I found, or maybe I'm confused XP
    Thanks for the tips, wait for my PM!

So I have it narrowed down to 3 options:

1. Get the Nady (comes with stand and XLR cable, big plus!), and make a subkick to reinforce the Nady's mids. Cost in very rough total: $40?? (I have a subwoofer, unless I gave it to Goodwill. I don't have any of those switches and bungee cords I need if I was to do the instructable. Might cost more than a used bass drum mic.)

2. Look at a pawn shop for a used bass drum mic. Cost: $10-30? But will need a stand and cord, so just purchase a Nady package that comes with the stand and cable. So it could be $35-55?

3. Buy a Samson kick mic off of ebay for $40.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-

User Info Menu

Hmm, I know I won't get as good quality as a Beta52 or something, but can you explain what you mean by "crazy amount of pressure" a bit more in depth?
    Does it have to do with the mic placement also?
    the pressure put on the mic is the fruquency response, the sound level and the volume of air a kick drum is going to move, especially if it is ported.
    i have never used a nady but i can tell you how it's going to sound, not to good. it wasn't made to handle the lows and physical forces a bass drum is going to produce. at it's best it's made to handle things in a vocal range, maybe a small guitar amp. the diaphram is just to small and weak.
    there is another thread floating around where a member was saying a sound man used an sm57 to mic his kick and the band and sound guy complained it sounded "muddy". the sound guy blamed it on his batter head not being ported. i believe if it was ported it may have sounded worse. i know you are on a tight budget but there is not going to be a cheap fix for this.
    i would reccomend one of two things. buying a less expensive mic pack. or, buy the best condenser you can afford and use it essentially as a room mic. try it overhead, out front in different spots, just move it around until it picks up a mix you like. it cuts down on the number of inputs needed, requires only one stand and cable and can pick up your entire kit for recording. it's not the best option, but i feel it's better than close micing with something that will definately not sound good.
    Last edited by jrt30004; 09-08-2011 at 03:20 PM.