Thread: New snare - Steeel, Brass or wood???

User Info Menu

Default New snare - Steeel, Brass or wood???

Hi all, recently had my snare stolen from a venue and need another quick.

Had a Tama 14 x 8 Maple Superhoop (I think, had it about 8 years!)...sounded great on tape but could never get it cutting through live so well.

I play for a "death punk" group which tune in drop B and so there is a real wall of noise live. Been told to go down the metal snare route.

Currently looking at either Pearl Chad Smith signature (14 x 5 I think - steel)

or

Black Panther Sledgehammer (14 x 6.5 - brass)

Anyone use these drums or advise as to tone / volume / sensitivity?

Cheers all!

User Info Menu

Default Re: New snare - Steeel, Brass or wood???

Brass is a great all around metal shell, I have one and I can get it to cut. If you really want a loud metal drum, steel is the way to go. In retrospect I wish I bought a steel snare because the volume is amazing and the tones are great. Bronze is also another contender.

User Info Menu

I'd go with brass, and of the brass snares on the market, I'm of the belief that you don't need to spend a lot of dough to get a great sounding drum, and with that in mind the Pearl Sensitone Elite is a great buy IMO. For me, I like shorter snares, so I'd go with the 5" rather than the 6.5" - I've always had better luck getting shorter snares tuned to a point where I like how they sound, and they can be every bit as loud as a deeper snare. It's the tone of the snare that will give you the cut you are looking for rather than the size.

If you've got the money to spare, you could check into a Ludwig Black Magic or even a Black Beauty, but I think the Pearl would give you everything you need and then some.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

i would go for a mapex blackpanther blaster snare..... my drum tutor has one and its loud as hell its a 13X7 maple snare with walnut rings (i think...?)

User Info Menu

Tama Starphonic brass. I hope to make that my next snare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Tama Starphonic brass. I hope to make that my next snare.
    Having one, I'd have to agree.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Well sorry about your loss. I despise thieves!

I have a Tama birch which is nice. Like your's it really sounds good on tape, my brass shell pearl has also been recorded and it's in your face. Very loud live never any problems. Once I had somebody running a board turn the snare mic way low because it was just loud.

I recently bought a steel shell 6.5x14 Premier and at practice unmiced the other guys were telling me how loud the snare was. My thought was good! maybe I'll bring this one to a show then. I put a Ludwig clear silver dot on that sucker and it's knarly.

Heard some things about Titanium having the capability to be obnoxious too. I would definatley try out that 5x14 at a store first. To me they are kinda high pitched.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN