Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 in one oil or Vaseline

User Info Menu

Default Re: 3 in one oil or Vaseline

3in1 for me for the tension screws. A small drop on the first few threads. WD-40 I use to spray down the hi hat shaft now and then to keep the inside protected from rust. I use any kind of lubricant handy from used car oil to vaseline for any moving parts. (pedals etc...) Lately I've dicovered this stuff made by BOEING anti corrosion lubricant. Down here in the Bahamas the humidity and salt air destoys just about anything metal so extra vigilance is required.

all the best...

User Info Menu

WD-40 is a solvent. Used mostly for freeing rusty screws and bolts, evaporates quickly has some lube qualities. Also good as starting fluid for diesel engines on cold days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    3in1 for me for the tension screws. A small drop on the first few threads. WD-40 I use to spray down the hi hat shaft now and then to keep the inside protected from rust. I use any kind of lubricant handy from used car oil to vaseline for any moving parts. (pedals etc...) Lately I've dicovered this stuff made by BOEING anti corrosion lubricant. Down here in the Bahamas the humidity and salt air destoys just about anything metal so extra vigilance is required.

all the best...
    that is a great point. i spent 10 days in the Bahamas in early June and it was hellahot and the air was wet. over time i believe that makes for a unique wellseasoned drumset given its properly cared for. im curious as to how that climate effects the wood over time and possibly changes the sound. (in a good way) climate does change the characteristics of any wood be it a table, house or drumset.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    WD40 is a cleaning agent and it has no lubricating qualities and I only use it to break down grime.
    Wrong.

WD40 Cleans, Lubricates and Protects.

That's a quote from their official webby.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerUK View Post
    Wrong.

WD40 Cleans, Lubricates and Protects.

That's a quote from their official webby.
    Marketing...worked as a mechanics porter for years....WD-40 (Water Displacement 40). The mechanics would use it to clean parts that have been water contaminated. Evaporative qualities make it ideal for the need for quick drying situations. Better long term lubes already mentioned above.

dave0549jv Guest

is it weird that i've never lubed up my lugs?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post
    is it weird that i've never lubed up my lugs?
    Yep!