Thread: Pleease help me!!!!!!! ((practice routine))

User Info Menu

Angry Pleease help me!!!!!!! ((practice routine))

Hello every one my name is jahvon , I have been drumming for 3 years but I just started seriously drumming this year. I am 17 years old and i will be going to college next year. All though drumming will not be my main career I plan to gig ALOOT!.. . . .But back to the topic , I have come to that point in my drumming were I am so frustrated and tired . . .My improvement is coming in slow as a snail! . . Im watching all of my pairs out drum me and it really makes me angry. My biggest problem since day one with my drumming is I DONT KNOW WHAT TO PRACTICE!!!!. I know what type of drummer I want to become but i have no idea of what to practice or how to get there . . . .So please im asking somebody if they can tell me what i should practice and how to make a routine around that . . .I would love for you to be really insightful and fully descriptive thanks in advance guys.
    Last edited by lcescream; 10-04-2011 at 09:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pleease help me!!!!!!! ((practice routine))

What are you aiming to play?
    6 piece Pearl Export Series Gloss Black
    10x8
    12x10
    13x11
    16x16
    6" Zil-Bell
    14" Zildjian A Custom hats
    18" Sabian AAX Xplosion Crash
    17" Soultone Extreme Crash
    16" Zildjian A Custom Crash
    20" Sabian AAX Omni Ride
    18" Sabian AA Metal-X China
    Not on my kit:
    12" Zildjian Oriental Trash China
    18"Zildjian A Custom Crash
    10" Zildjian ZBT Splash
    (Hardware)
    Tama SpeedCobra Double Pedals
    Remo Pinstripe over Remo Ambassador
    Vater 5B
    Pork Pie Throne

User Info Menu

I play the drums at church so i guess i would be considered a gospel drummer , but I also want to play such genres as jazz , smooth jazz , neo soul , bossa nova , r&b , Rock . . . I basically want to be a well rounded drummer.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Heeeelp meeee please!!! ((drum practice))

Icescream
    PM me with your expectations you have for yourself, and I can do my best to help you out.
    :D
    DW, Zildjian, Vic Firth, Remo
    http://www.reverbnation.com/jonpnorris

User Info Menu

Jazz i cant pm anybody yet i didnt put up 25 post yet -____-"

User Info Menu

is there another way?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkat View Post
    Icescream
    PM me with your expectations you have for yourself, and I can do my best to help you out.
    :D
    Ice, the forums are here for that reason, to discuss drums. No need for PM.

User Info Menu

well, i can say, the big thing to do is practice styles and get a good grasp on how traditional stylistic rhythms work and their functions.
    As far as reaching your goal as a musician, I honestly believe that the end goal of any musician is never truly reached. This is not to be discouraging, but encouraging. Understand that every baby step that you take will make you a better musician. As you grow, you will find more faults in your playing in basic fundamentals and you will forever perfect them in search of your ultimate musicianship.

User Info Menu

as far as a routine, what is your routine currently?
    would you like some solid material to practice?

User Info Menu

use the drum chat search bar or use google to search drumchat ..theres literally hundreds of threads on this topic

User Info Menu

Well, I suggest you start working on rudiments. Actually, there was a topic on that that I posted on yesterday. But once you get to work the rudiments up to speed by starting SLOWLY, you will be able to apply them to the whole kit to make some pretty sweet fills.
    And if it's possible, private lessons are very encouraged to help you to know where you are at and what stuff you need to work on. For instance if your sticking is off or something, a instructor will help you correct it, making you play faster. I'm not saying you have that problem, but everyone seems to have their own bad habits with some stuff, even if it's a really small thing. Lessons are again, a great tool to utilize (a lot of us can't afford private lessons as they get expensive, it's a struggle even for me to spend that much on lessons).
    And visit other gigs in your area and make connections with other drummers. You can learn a lot from them, even if they are small, little tips or tricks, and also see what they're style is, and possible add some of that to your own groove.
    If you have high speed internet (yay I finally got it almost 2 months ago, more drumchat!), take advantage of youtube. There are TONS of exercises like you would not believe for drumming. And practicing to a metronome is just as important.
    Another thing is to buy some drumming books from your local music store to use. Those have a lot of great fill, beat, tips, and ideas in them.
    Keep on drumming man, and don't give up. It will come with time. There is no system, chart, sticking, protein drink, or anything like that that will make us become "really great, experienced, smart drummers", it just comes with time. You can learn a lot from the old people here too. They have some great tips from all their 50 years drumming experience. And by old people I didn't mean Pastor_Bob *Sorry*
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Ice, one thing I use to do is listen to a song...any style..then try to play the basic rythyms ( no fancy chops ) just try to get the overall feel of song and be able to keep the pace and beat..then with time you will get all the little runs and sounds of the entire song... anotherwords get the basic's down first. I am only assuming you are proficient at rudiment playing.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Wow thanks guys it truly means alot , And Jazzkat i honesty got so mad i trashed my old routine so basicly i dont have one now. A solid practice routine would be awsome. I would love to be able to play almost all music genres , have creativity in solid pocket , A arsenal of fills & and great timming with regular and odd time signatures.

User Info Menu

Seek out a good drum teacher if time is of the essence. I've had several and the most important thing I learned from my instructors was how to practice. If you pursue your goals with a really good drum teacher, he or she will guide you in a structured practice regiment that will allow you to be efficient with your time.

If you feel angry that you're being "out played" by others, realize that being a solid drummer comes with time and lots of practice. If you can't afford lessons, search out the videos on the basic rudiments of drumming and do yourself a favor and practice with a metronome at a slow BPM (beats per minute). Good luck and welcome to DC!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lcescream View Post
    I play the drums at church so i guess i would be considered a gospel drummer , but I also want to play such genres as jazz , smooth jazz , neo soul , bossa nova , r&b , Rock . . . I basically want to be a well rounded drummer.
    Round drummers are the best!!!

Larrysperf Guest

There are a lot of very good Jazz drumming books out there. I suggest you get one and see if you like it. I found it great years ago to practice from. Drum Bum has a lot of books and free stuff so take a look. Im sorry I cant remember the name of the book. I think it was called modern jazz

User Info Menu

A good teacher is the best answer to your dilemma. I will suggest my favorite practice material - Groove Essentials (by Tommy Igoe) he covers a huge range of styles, gives suggested parts, and provides a 3 or so minute drumless track for each groove. With two packages out, there are 90 some tracks. It has helped me a lot. I have video recordings of many of them in Video section of this board if you want to hear what they sound like.

User Info Menu

Wow guys thanks a lot for the insight much love.