Thread: Snare Buzz

User Info Menu

Default Snare Buzz

Hey all, this is my first post here.

Reason I am posting is I upgraded to a new Mapex Meridian Maple kit a couple weeks ago from an older Pearl Export EX series set of drums. Huge difference in the sound. The only problem I am running into with the new kit is I am getting snare buzz. I was only getting it off the 10" tom at first but then I played around with different tunings to try and fix it and actually ended up getting all my drums to sound better including the snare but now I get buzz off all my toms and my kick. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare Buzz

Welcome to Drum Chat Brandon!

Snare buzzing when it's not being played is all about harmonic resonance. Your other drums can set off the snares, and guitar amps can set off snares, so you have to learn to accept a certain amount. To minimize the snare buzzing, you'll have to change your tuning. If you like where you have the toms tuned, then you'll have to change the tuning of the snare. If you like the tuning of the snare, then you'll have to change the tuning of the toms and bass.

It may not take much more than a tweak to change the harmonic frequency, and break the resonance between the drums, don't go overboard in your changes.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ive tried changing the tuning on my snare since I like where my toms are and figured since its buzzes on every tom and the bass that it must be the snare. Am i better of tightening or loosening the bottom head? I thought maybe the top heads was causing it but when i put my hand on the top head and completely mute it and hit other drums i still get the buzz

User Info Menu

Brandon, you can go either way - up or down - with the bottom (resonant) head. It still depends on the general sound you want from your snare. If you're not sure, give it try both ways and see which tuning you prefer. Keep in mind that you might not solve the problem completely. You still might have to change the tuning slightly on individual toms, or the bass.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

haha the problem is it buzzes from every tom as well as my bass so that would lead me to believe the problem is with the snare tuning not the toms or bass. i could be wrong though?

Larrysperf Guest

Try detuning the lugs on each side of snare wires 1/4 turn. This usually works and doesnt change snare that much Good luck

User Info Menu

There really is no way to keep them from vibrating. I even hear it included in some top recordings actually (Red Hot Chili Pepper you know who you are!).
    Lets put it this way:

Everything has a natural frequency (which means an object with a natural frequency will only vibrate at that natural frequency. For example: The wood of the chair I'm sitting on may have a natural frequency of 2000Hz. It will vibrate at that if subject to that frequency.)
    Say a bass player is doing some heavy riffs, your snares will probably be vibrating during certain point of his playing. Thats because the natural frequency of the snares have been achieved.
    Unless your snares are turned off.

But that happens. Certain tuning methods can reduce it also.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

just out of curiosity, what RHCP recording can you hear it in?

User Info Menu

Yeah as most people have said. It's not the snare drums fault. It's normally the buzz of the toms or the hardware that make ur snare rumble and buzz like that. Sometimes we just have to put up with it. And trust me it bothers me too but I have to put up with it.
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

Honestly, its all in the tuning. I cant really do it.. im not perfect with tuning. However, if you take it to a local GC or music store, im sure they would help take out the kinks for you. good luck.

and.. WELCOME TO DRUMCHAT! its awesome. :P
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

Hello..Your original post states after tuning all the drums, they all sounded better.....except for that darn snare Buzz. Couple thoughts here. First of all....what you have going on is closer to normal and will require a " just let it go for now" attitude while you cruise through the recommended prior posts. When you try all those suggestions and all is all said and done, ask yourself this very basic question; Do the snares Buzz when there is absolutley no sound in the room ? May sound kind of obvious, huh ?
    Point being....as long as there is some kind of sound anywhere, the snares will vibrate ever so slightly.....so it's my contention it's only the audible component that's bugging you. ( balance the frequencies in the ambient air first, then go back to the drum key strategys )
    'Bout the only concern you should remedy is if the audible Buzz continues with the Throw in the off position. Otherwise IMHO re-directing your time to practicing rudiments and paradiddles would be more effective !
    Most definitely. As a matter of fact, there will be "NO LIMIT"... just an unending quagmire of musical genius.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Try detuning the lugs on each side of snare wires 1/4 turn. This usually works and doesnt change snare that much Good luck
    Pretty much what I do too, Larry.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8