Thread: Fog machine in bass drum.

User Info Menu

Default Fog machine in bass drum.

I had an idea while I was staring at my Rocktober GC flier that was sent in the mail yesterday. I saw a fog machine in the catalog and after thinking about getting one to use for my drum covers one day, I thought: "Wouldn't it be great if you put a fog machine in a ported bass drum?"
    But then I thought it would ruin the wood (making it expand, moisture, etc...
    But I don't know much about fog machines, or if the special liquid generates moist fog or something, and thats why I'm asking you guys.
    I think it would something really cool and fun to try!
    I know since the machine is kind of big that it would take up a good amount of real estate in your bass drum and impede the sound some, but I think the cool effects would outweigh the negatives of the sound. Or maybe the sound will get deeper due to the heavier air?
    Let me know what you think!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Default Re: Fog machine in bass drum.

I can't answer any of those questions but I sure like the idea!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Fog machine in bass drum.

Hey, DR!

Sounds cool, but I'm not sure that would be a wise move, for a number of reasons:

The "fog" in a fog machine is not water, so it wouldn't be a matter of your shells getting warped from water vapor. More often than not, it's a chemical solution which is heated to form the fog. I would be more worried about the chemicals in the fog solution messing up the adhesives, the wrap on your shells, and on your hardware.

The fog solution is supposed to be non-toxic, but concentrating that in the typical space of, say, 22 x 18" (your bass drum shell), could make your breathing a bit dicey to boot.

And, as you hit upon in your original post, the machine itself "takes up a good amount of real estate" inside the drum, and, like anything else, it's gonna affect the way the drum sounds. I would experiment with something about the same size of the machine and see how it affects the sound before goin' for the fog machine.

Experiment with it, though, and let us know how it works! Good luck!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumRookie View Post
    I had an idea while I was staring at my Rocktober GC flier that was sent in the mail yesterday. I saw a fog machine in the catalog and after thinking about getting one to use for my drum covers one day, I thought: "Wouldn't it be great if you put a fog machine in a ported bass drum?"
    But then I thought it would ruin the wood (making it expand, moisture, etc...
    But I don't know much about fog machines, or if the special liquid generates moist fog or something, and thats why I'm asking you guys.
    I think it would something really cool and fun to try!
    I know since the machine is kind of big that it would take up a good amount of real estate in your bass drum and impede the sound some, but I think the cool effects would outweigh the negatives of the sound. Or maybe the sound will get deeper due to the heavier air?
    Let me know what you think!
    Fog machines make everything moist. I use a few f them at a friends house for halloween, so i know this because we have to be careful if it is below freezing so we do not create ice.
    Cool idea, but it would ruin your bass, especially with the cheaper fog machines which create a really dense moist fog.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I can just see a cloud of fog coming out the porthole with every stroke of the bass pedal.

I might try it with an incense stick as I hate the fog stuff. I'd have to be careful to not to burn my bass drum tho'!
    Current Set-Up - Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz, Paiste Signature

Damaru - The drum of Shiva.

Hows my drumming? http://soundcloud.com/bilton-grange

Say Hi - http://www.facebook.com/biltongrangemusic

User Info Menu

Get a crappy bass drum cheap and try, it Sounds pretty awesome.

User Info Menu

Have a piece of PVC pipe coming from the hole in the fog machine and out the porthole that way not nearly as much smoke is entering your bass drum. Also if you fill the tube with dry ice it will look really cool. Heres a very informative video: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkIv_L7xG54&feature=related"]Halloween party fog machine PT 2 - YouTube[/ame]
    Last edited by Yoda; 10-18-2011 at 09:36 PM.

User Info Menu

DR, I've got a fog machine, and I would have 2 concerns about putting it in the bass drum. The first is the moisture, and the second would be that the nozzle heats up - hot enough to burn your fingers if you touch it. Besides, the fog from a fog machine rises. I would get a unit that cools the fog, or a DIY contraption to cool it. Then you could put it behind the kit letting the fog curl around the kit, and the tumble off the drum riser.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

As a drummer who also sings, I hate fog machines!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    DR, I've got a fog machine, and I would have 2 concerns about putting it in the bass drum. The first is the moisture, and the second would be that the nozzle heats up - hot enough to burn your fingers if you touch it. Besides, the fog from a fog machine rises. I would get a unit that cools the fog, or a DIY contraction to cool it. Then you could put it behind the kit letting the fog curl around the kit, and the tumble off the drum riser.
    I forgot about the heat too. It is hot enough to melt plastic and duct tape. And you know there is a problem when duct tape isnt working...
    -Steven

User Info Menu

A lot of times the fog liquid is something similar to baby oil, and leaves a thin layer of oil around where it is sprayed. I would not recommend this.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by northern redneck View Post
    as a drummer who also sings, i hate fog machines!
    +1
    PDP MX Series Drums, Zildjian A Custom cymbals, Tama Simon Phillips Gladiator Signature snare, Roc-N-Soc throne.

User Info Menu

"The fog solution is supposed to be non-toxic, but concentrating that in the typical space of, say, 22 x 18" (your bass drum shell), could make your breathing a bit dicey to boot."

Many use propylene glycol to create the vapor or "smoke". PG is safe, used in many inhalers, foods and the main ingredient in the nicotine liquid I use in my electronic cig. Been using ecig for more than 2 years and no ill effects.
    Drumming since 1965 and still going!
    Max Weinberg - "More than any other drummer, Ringo Starr changed my life.
    The impact and memory of that band on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964 will never leave me."

"Sometimes you'd come up against a brick wall... or sometimes you go into a fill and you'd know halfway through it was going to be disastrous."
    John Bonham

www.willieandtheblueshounds.com

User Info Menu

Maybe get a cheap second kick just to house the fog machine (if it's only for show)

User Info Menu

Fog machines leave a residue......my group uses one from time to time and the residue gets all over my hardware and everything else. The quality of the juice used just makes it worse.

I'm not certain that this "non-toxic" residue will "ruin" your kick drum, but I'm sure it will effect it in ways you may not be thrilled with.

I have had fog get into my kick drum area unintentionally during gigs....and have on occasion seen smoke rings come out of the port hole....which I admit is pretty cool at times.

The other thing to consider is the pressures and heavy vibrations inside your kick drum - probably not good for the components inside the fog machine. I put a chrome skull with a strobe light inside of it on top my kick drum this Halloween. Seems as if the bulb blew out or broke. Don't know why exactly...but I'm thinking the vibration may have had an adverse effect on the filament maybe?

Although I'm not afraid to try "new" things or ideas....I've learned over time that if something I've thought of is not being done by anyone, or I've not seen it done before.....there's probably a reason why - and I've just not figured it out yet. Thinking this may be one of those scenario's.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by EddieV View Post
    Fog machines leave a residue......my group uses one from time to time and the residue gets all over my hardware and everything else. The quality of the juice used just makes it worse.
    +1... I drum tech for a band that uses a fog machine and when we used my kit recently for a few shows, the residue from the fog oil was a major hassle to clean. The black OEM reso heads on both kicks have nasty oil spattered stains that will NOT wipe off. The fog machine was placed low near the kick drum so the fog could roll out. Looked really cool but hated cleaning everything...