Thread: Rewrapping with wood veneer?

User Info Menu

Default Rewrapping with wood veneer?

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this has already been covered- I'm a noob, but searched and didn't find what I was looking for. I have an almost 20 year old Tama Rockstar kit with a black wrap on it that has certainly seen better days. At one point in time I contemplated removing the wrap and finishing whatever wood was underneath, but it's quite ugly, IIRC it's basswood with birch inner ply.

I was watching the usual home improvement shows on DIY or HGTV the other night and it suddenly hit me- why not take off the wrap, adhere a hardwood laminate over the shells, and stain? I'm in love with wood grain finishes, and will eventually get myself a Tama b/b or maple Starclassic kit, but would really love to bring some old life and a new look to my current one.

Has anyone attempted this before, and/or know of good online resource? I have yet to google it and will do so, but figured I'd ask the experts here first! I have a 5x14 Starclassic maple snare in Royal Walnut that I would most likely stain the rest of the kit to match (pissed that Tama stopped offering that color- it's beautiful!). Thoughts? Am I crazy? Would this work?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rewrapping with wood veneer?

I have not attempted this, but the Guerrilla Drum Making Dvd has an entire chapter deticated to veneering drums. Its seems pretty easy if you take you time and have patience.

User Info Menu

Go get yourself a membership on the Ghostnote forum - it's a site dedicated to people who build and repair drums. There are LOTS of people who have done what you are proposing and have turned some pretty average looking drums into some very stunningly finished drums with all kinds of exotic veneers - everything from burl walnut, birdseye maple, tamo ash to spalted woods of various varieties. I've personally never veneered a drum - only done a DIY snare project and getting ready to build a floor tom with a 2 color faded finish to try to match my kit, but I know it can be done and there are guys over there who are going to know all the tricks, as well as sources for the veneer you want to get.

Good luck!
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

It can be done, however be prepared to invest in some pretty specialized wood working equipment if you don't already have. The key to a veneering job on a cylinderical object is "clamping" so that you get even pressure on the glue all the way around. You need to avoid bubbles and voids between the surfaces.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    It can be done, however be prepared to invest in some pretty specialized wood working equipment if you don't already have. The key to a veneering job on a cylinderical object is "clamping" so that you get even pressure on the glue all the way around. You need to avoid bubbles and voids between the surfaces.

all the best...
    The guys who are really into it use a vacuum bag setup - usually some DIY to get that going with a setup big enough to do a full sized bass drum. I'm not sure what all it entails or even how you'd go about it. I did some light reading on it a few years back, but never delved into it too deep. I figured I'd leave it until I actually wanted to do a project like that myself.

Check out this kit done up in Tamo Ash:

Last edited by trickg; 10-25-2011 at 01:09 PM.
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    The guys who are really into it use a vacuum bag setup - usually some DIY to get that going with a setup big enough to do a full sized bass drum. I'm not sure what all it entails or even how you'd go about it. I did some light reading on it a few years back, but never delved into it too deep. I figured I'd leave it until I actually wanted to do a project like that myself.

Check out this kit done up in Tamo Ash:

Wow, that is gorgeous.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the responses! I've already talked to a local hardwood place that sells 4x8 sheets of typical hardwood veneers- maple, oak, walnut, runs in the neighborhood $40-$60 a sheet depending on the wood. All are are 10mil paper backed, and very flexible, so this seems like a great inexpensive way to redo the kit! I'll have to measure, but I think for under $150 in supplies I should be able to completely recover my kit- not bad considering my last gig just paid for this! Unfortunately I also have 4 cracked cymbals too... what to do, what to do....

User Info Menu

There's a few guys on here that have done projects like this. One that comes to mind is Signia Fan. He'll probably have some pointers for ya.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

The tamo ash finish on that kit is actually a plastic wrap from Bum drum. Pretty cool looking though. I got a sample of it. It does look like a plastic wrap and not a natural finish

User Info Menu

never thought about this! But very intrigued now!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumstix View Post
    There's a few guys on here that have done projects like this. One that comes to mind is Signia Fan. He'll probably have some pointers for ya.
    Signia Fan does a lot of builds. He covered his Signia kit in birdseye maple with nothing less than stunning, professional results. He's the guy for firsthand advice on this one.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I think after 4 years, Anthony has probably gone a different direction, LOL. In fact, I don't remember the last time he posted on here. On a side note, I looked at going with a wood veneer on my last project. To do it right either takes special equipment or a lot of time and work. I decided for the same money and a fraction of the effort, I could just get one of Bum Wrap's awesome wood prints.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have a snare that I love---except for the color of the wrap---doesn't really look right with my black kit---and a roll of Maple veneer (real wood) left over from a cabinet job---this thread has inspired me to make it look as good as it sounds---thank you!