Thread: Head combo for OCDP 14x11 snare

User Info Menu

Default Head combo for OCDP 14x11 snare

Hi guys, i recently bought a OCDP 14x11 snare for $179 AUD delivered to my door. BUT, whats the best head combo for a drum like this? Im after a fairly fat tone with some control. While im at it, what wires?
    Thanks for any advice fellow drummers!
    I Drum, therefore I am

User Info Menu

Default Re: Head combo for OCDP 14x11 snare

I can't say that I've ever fooled around with a snare that deep. I'd definitely use an Hazy Ambassador or Hazy 300 on the snare side. The batter could be a coated Emperor, coated G2, or possibly even a HD dry if you want to get more overtone control. That said, if you prefer the feel of a one ply head a coated Ambassador X or G plus might work for you.

As far as wires go, find the heads you like first. Then, if you're not happy with your wires, look into puresounds or fatcats. However, I don't see the point of spending more money on wires if the ones that are already there are getting the job done.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I have a steel Golf-Ball 7 x 13" snare, and use a coated G2 over 300 Hazy, with 24 strand Puresound Custom Pro Wires. It sounds a-m-a-z-i-n-g. My son has a vented 7 x 14" Maple vented OCPD snare that he is running a Genera Dry over 300 Hazy with 40 strand snare wires. It sounds really good too. That combo may be closer to what you are looking for.
    Kit: Pacific LX 8-Ply - Maple shells in deep blue lacquer * DDrum 13 X 6.5" Golf Ball Snare
    Cymbals: 21" AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride * 20" Paragon Crash * Zildjian 20" Custom Ozone Crash * 18" XS20 Medium Thin Crash * 14" AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats * 10" AAX Splash
    Misc: Vater 2-4-5-1 Hickory Sticks * DW 7000 Pedal * Evans Heads * SP Cymbal Stands * PDP 900 Hi-Hat and Snare Stand * Gibralter Throne

User Info Menu

You should take off the hardware and run a band saw through it, cut bearing edges on the squared ends, and then you'd have 2 snare drums, 5.5" deep, which IMO is the most versatile snare size made. :D
    Your = possessive - your stuff, your dog, your car, etc
    You're = you are - a contraction.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    You should take off the hardware and run a band saw through it, cut bearing edges on the squared ends, and then you'd have 2 snare drums, 5.5" deep, which IMO is the most versatile snare size made. :D
    I have 3 snares that are 5.5" deep and I don't like them. LOL. I find it to be a bad size. Smaller or larger for me, please.

User Info Menu

Before you go and put some crazy 40 or 42 strand wires on a drum, make sure that your beds are wide enough to accomodate them. If the clips are as wide, or wider than your snare beds, they're not going to work the way they're supposed to.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I have 3 snares that are 5.5" deep and I don't like them. LOL. I find it to be a bad size. Smaller or larger for me, please.
    I think plain old 5" is actually better - I tend to like shorter snares, but not too short. I was just joking because at 11" splitting the difference was 5.5, which is a common snare depth.

One of my favorite snares is 6" deep.

On the subject of heads, I'd tend to think that on a snare that deep, you'd want heads that will be able to tune up pretty tight, and offer decent snare response, so I'm thinking coated Emperor over a Diplomat weight snare side, or a G2 over a hazy 200 if you are an Evans guy.

If you want a more controlled sound, go with a dotted batter head, or use a piece of MoonGel if that floats your boat.

As for wires, I'm a fan of Puresound Blasters. They always seem to do the job and sound pretty good.

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, great advice, except for cutting it in half lol. I did laugh at that as i knew it was in jest. I prefer deeeeeep snares!
    I Drum, therefore I am

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
    Thanks guys, great advice, except for cutting it in half lol. I did laugh at that as i knew it was in jest. I prefer deeeeeep snares!
    The only really deep snares I like look like this!

Learn it. Love it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    I think plain old 5" is actually better - I tend to like shorter snares, but not too short. I was just joking because at 11" splitting the difference was 5.5, which is a common snare depth.

One of my favorite snares is 6" deep.

On the subject of heads, I'd tend to think that on a snare that deep, you'd want heads that will be able to tune up pretty tight, and offer decent snare response, so I'm thinking coated Emperor over a Diplomat weight snare side, or a G2 over a hazy 200 if you are an Evans guy.

If you want a more controlled sound, go with a dotted batter head, or use a piece of MoonGel if that floats your boat.

As for wires, I'm a fan of Puresound Blasters. They always seem to do the job and sound pretty good.
    5.5" snares seem to have a weird ring to them that I'm not fond of. I really love the 13x6.5 I just got.