Thread: new drummers

User Info Menu

Default new drummers

here's one...When you first started drumming, did you find it intimidating or at the least difficult to really hit the drums to get the sound and feel out of the kit? Or is it just me worrying about ps'ng of the neighbours......what's the deal?

User Info Menu

Default Re: new drummers

When I first started, I was scared of anyone hearing me play and judging me, and that included family members. I didn't have to worry about neighbors so much, since I live on a farm (that'll change soon, though... )
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Was lucky when I started....always had an agreement with neighbours when I was a younger drum student, so long as I was finishing up by 6 or 7pm most nights, they were fine. Of course we have large 1/4 acre blocks of land out where I am in the Western Suburbs of Sydney......it's not like we were living in a residential unit or something confining like that.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

My neighbors are snobby. They are nice to me, but I really guess we don't see eye to eye. I seem to be on the more optimistic side, and they seem very pessimistic. As long as I don't play before 7AM (9AM on sundays) and finish before 11PM as per regional by-laws, there isn't much they can do to get to me to stop. I don't often get complaints, but sometimes my neighbors from a little down the street "compliment" me on my playing (I guess to break the ice and tell me its loud) I just shrug and say "well I have to practice everyday to get good at it." And you know what? My neighbors have annoying habits too, but I deal with it because it make's them happy. As long as I know they don't do anything for the sole purpose of making my life miserable/uncomfortable I don't care enough to even let them know their habits bother me. Really I don't care... if people can't deal with an hour and a half of loud noises {which are not that loud inside THEIR house} (half an hour of which is just the snare and bass drum [rudiments]) at the time of 2:30 PM (when most people are at work anyways, and I just get home from school) then they can either buy me an electric set, or sound proof my house or theirs.

I really don't care. Don't get me wrong though, I have morals and I am rational about this, during exam week for example I knew that my neighbor was studying, and when I did play she texted me to stop, so I did, I understood she was studying and that I probably should have been doing the same (but I had math.. who studies for math? :(

I will never play beyond 9:00 on a weekday

Anyways the point is, why should they stop me from something I love because it slightly annoys them for an hour? (And I have heard what my drums sound like from inside their house, if it isn't completely quiet you can barely hear anything. When the X-plosion is hit it cuts through the ambient noise in the room, but it isn't to the point where if it is hit mid sentence you would have to ask them to repeat their sentence. It is not nearly that loud.
    Last edited by Fifty; 10-28-2011 at 10:22 PM.
    5 Piece Pearl kit 12" 13" 16" toms, 14" snare.
    16" Sabian XS20 Rock Crash
    20" Sabian XS20 Medium Ride
    14" Sabian AAX-Celerator Hi-Hats
    18" Sabian AAX-Plosion Crash
    19" Sabian AAX-Treme Chinese - pending
    Pearl Power Stroke Eliminator X Double kick pedal
    "The things that are worth knowing, cannot be taught." -Oscar Wilde
    "If you think you can or you think you can't, either way, you're right!." -Henry Ford

User Info Menu

I've been fortunate to not have close neighbors. I can practice at any time, and not bother a living soul. It may not always be like that, but so far I've had no problems at all. If it is a problem for you zabba, then I would practice my sticking on a practice pad, or a pillow, and when I wanted to play the kit, I would use Hot Rods to keep peace with the neighbors, until I could work out a time to play without restrictions.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

When I left school (age 16) all I wanted to do was play drums.

I saved a little cash and bought a used Premier Olympic kit for peanuts. My parents wouldn't allow it in the house, so I set it up in the garden shed. After a couple of days of trying to do stuff I got a complaint directly over the garden fence from the neighbours.

I gave it up there and then and took up learning guitar.

6 years ago (age 35) I responded to an advert from a bassist to start a band. I had a freind also interested who played guitar so I decided to take a small kit and see what happened. I bought a set of Arbiter Flats and off we went.

I'm still playing now (although progressed onto a 'proper' kit), and with the same bassist, although guitarists have come and gone.

The point is, at 16, If I had some support, I might have made something from drumming. At 41 (my age now), I have physical limitations and of course a family and full time work to consider. So it's just a hobby now. But a bloody good one.

I now practice on an electric kit to help neighbourly relations, and if I do set up the PDP it's usually for very short spells and I feel like I'm annoying the hell out of everyone around me so I don't enjoy playing.

Band rehearsals are in an industrial unit, so then I'm free to go mad.

User Info Menu

ya I have'nt had any complaints from neighbours...yet, but I only go at it for a hour a day and usually 6-7 pm. Sticking practice is always on the pad. I just noticed that when I get "into it" I get pretty loud on the snare and bass then end up toning down and lose the groove so to speak. I think I'll hang some kind of sound proofing for my own piece of mind lol! good insights tho guys thanks.

User Info Menu

When we bought our house I had "retired" from music so I never gave the nice 60+ widow next door a second thought. But low and behold a couple of years later I got the itch again. When I went over to ask her if she minded I was pleased to find out that she had raised a family of musicians and she plays a mean acoustic! Almost every Saturday night there is bonfire/acoustic jam in my backyard!

User Info Menu

When I first started, I was scared to do anything. I hated hitting my crash, and I was deathly afraid of doing rolls. As for neighbors....my closest one was a mile away. Lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    When we bought our house I had "retired" from music so I never gave the nice 60+ widow next door a second thought. But low and behold a couple of years later I got the itch again. When I went over to ask her if she minded I was pleased to find out that she had raised a family of musicians and she plays a mean acoustic! Almost every Saturday night there is bonfire/acoustic jam in my backyard!
    Sounds like you've got a pretty cool neighbor NR.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I live in a residential neighborhood. My kit is in the house and I make it a point to close every window (dual pane) and doors when I practice. I don't practice on Sundays at all. I play late mornings or early afternoon and rarely over 30 minutes. Fortunately I haven't received any complaints.

dave0549jv Guest

the first time i sat down at a drum kit, it wasnt mine. it belonged to the drummer in my dad's band. i was so afraid i was gonna break something that i was tapping on them gingerly. Joe, the guy who owned the kit, rolled his eyes and yelled "JUST HIT THE $%^&%^* THING!"

and that's where my sig came from

User Info Menu

i was very shy about anyone hearing me play at first because i couldnt play good at all, i was afraid to hit my floor toms with any authority, first beat i could lay down was a mean polka beat. my girlfriend bless her heart had to put up with a whole lot of noise for a long time.

User Info Menu

I was (and still am) very self concious about many many things .. first couple of lessons with my new instructor I was embarrassed to play in front of him. not sure what happend but the 3rd lesson I was totally comfortable .. hopefully it stays that way.
    We Have nothing to fear but Reefs and Pirates

I tried taking life seriously, didn't much like it so now what I take seriously is living

User Info Menu

Do you mean you're hesitant to hit hard? I find it more difficult to play softly. I usually practice with ear protection, so I compensate for the decreased volume. A bad habit I need to break.

I GOT ZERO DYNAMICS!!! mostly.

- Mapex Meridian Maple Studioease - Sabian Xs20 - Paiste Alpha -

User Info Menu

when i first sit at my kit i truly believe im the worst drummer on earth. after 2 minutes i know im pretty damn good. otherwise id quit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kyle102565 View Post
    i was very shy about anyone hearing me play at first because i couldnt play good at all, i was afraid to hit my floor toms with any authority, first beat i could lay down was a mean polka beat. my girlfriend bless her heart had to put up with a whole lot of noise for a long time.
    Love your Sig by the way! Speaks so much!

User Info Menu

I was always worried about being a nuisance. Never was though. Well, that depends on who you ask. My brother might have a different opinion.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

hello zabba !

when I first started (1 year and a half now) I was afraid to do anything ! I remember that I was very excited assembling the kit but when I was about to play I didn t know where to start from. I left it in my addict for 2 whole weeks After that I got myself mentally prepared for the worse and went to beat the c**p out from those drums ! it was not bad at all

User Info Menu

when i first started, i had SOME sort of novice experience because, well.. im still young, i started 3 years ago and thats when the first Rockband game came out. For those of you who have played, its EXTREMELY similar to real drums, in the sense of keeping the beat and whatnot. SO that actually tought me how to play a bit, before I had my real set. But it was still difficult. Practice made me better, just like everyone else.
    Specs

Drums: Gretsch Catalina Maple (Dark Cherry Burst) 8,10,12,14,16 toms 14 snare 22 bass
    Heads: Remo Pinstripes over Ambassadors on toms
    Bass: Stock Grestch stock reso and Evans EC2 batter
    Snare: Ambassador over Ambassador reso, PureSound Snares
    Cymbals: Zildjian A MasterSound HiHats 14"
    Sabian Xs20 Crashes 16"/18"
    Zildjian 20th Anniversary A Custom ride 21"
    Wuhan Splashes 8"/10"
    Wuhan China 16"

http://www.facebook.com/AWorkInProgressBand

^^^Like my band!!^^^

User Info Menu

When I first started playing drums, I lived with my parents in a neighborhood where the homes were built just a few feet from each other. I started with just a snare. I was afraid to let anybody hear my playing until a girl and her family bought the house next door and moved in. I was too shy to introduce myself so I started playing my snare drum with the garage door open hoping to attract some attention from this girl. Instead, the cops showed up. I'll never forget the look on my dad's face

I live in the country now and neighbors are a non-issue but I still practice with my garage door down.

User Info Menu

I grew up with my brother playing drums( at school and in bands). I always played them when I could and kinda of grew up with drum beats drilled into my head. When it came time to play my own instrument I started on piano, then guitar, and then finally settled on bass guitar. I excelled at bass and played in bands for over a decade. The funny thing is I always loved to jam on my drummers kit. After I got married and had a couple boys, and hadn't play in a few years I decided I was going to put together a band room in the house for my boys to Have access to instruments, and for me to be able to have a place to play with my friends and family. Well needless to say right after I purchased my first cheap kit off craigslist I was hooked! I love bass and all of that, but I think I was always a drummer inside. For some reason I thought that because my brother was an excellent drummer, that I had to play something else. Late starter here, but I feel as though I've been playing all my life (cause I kinda have been). The cool thing now is that I now call myself a drummer, and I can set a kit up the way I like it to be!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zabba63 View Post
    Love your Sig by the way! Speaks so much!
    Me too!
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware