Thread: Daddys closed :(

User Info Menu

Default Daddys closed :(

I just went to look for some used gear and found out that Daddy's Junky Music stores are closed after 39 years. For those that don't know, they were a small chain of used (and new) music stores in the Northeast U.S.

One less "local" store to go to for used stuff.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Default Re: Daddys closed :(

One of the reasons is there are so many people that won't support local business. It's funny (or not) but when the subject comes up in here, at least 50% or more of members say that they'd rather save a few extra dollars and shop at GC or one of the big chains.

I've been saying it for years, you're not going to care until all the ma and pa's are gone, then you're going to wake up and realize YOU were responsible.

Some people have yet to learn that you can not have your cake and eat it too in this world. When there's nothing left but GC and Walmart, you're going to be left scratching your head.

User Info Menu

I just recently found out about them, and its much closer than GC was to me, they had trade ins, coupons, events ect and I had planed on going there to get some heads, but now I guess I can't, Its sad to see local buisinesses go.

User Info Menu

On the bright side...There must be be some kind of massive sell off of their inventory. No?

all the best...

User Info Menu

KG, not sure. I didn't hear anything. I went to look for some used stuff, and poof the site was down saying they were closed.

One less place to rent from as well. Only one mom and pop left near me. There are some others a ways away, but might have to start looking in to them.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Mine moved to a larger, better location just months ago, and only a month ago, I saw them take in a few rusty, odd drumsets as trade (I think).

The world of retail has always been weird.
    - poodlesdrum
    Could someone get this George Orwell fellow on the phone, please...!

User Info Menu

I think Daddy's pricing policy was lousy....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    wake up and realize YOU were responsible.
    Some will argue that that's a bit harsh. I would.

There's a lot of reasons that this store could have succumbed to the economic conditions that we have had over the last several years.

To blame any business closure on the people that aren't shopping there isn't fair.

It's not always that people aren't buying somewhere, or are going somewhere else.....it's also that they're NOT buying at all.

Even the warehouses for the GC's and Sam Ash's are stocking thin. Product just isn't simply moving as people aren't buying.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

I'm sure that part of the problem was less people trading up, so less used product. Plus less people looking in general.

But I do have to agree with drummer that to some degree I'm sure it has something to do with big box competition. My local store barely stocks drums b/c they are required to spend huge amounts by the manufacturers to be a dealer. That's very hard to keep up with when your competition is GC and SA.

In terms of pricing, I always found the new prices at Daddys matched any online big store, and although sometimes their used prices weren't great, it depended and you could haggle.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

its hard not to buy from the big mail-order places , my local stores dont stock many things that i use ..... maybe if your in a big city you have many places to chose from, but in my small town i have one place to buy things local and if ya dont like evans heads and ludwig drums your pretty much out of luck. most of the time it mail-order or nothing.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    its hard not to buy from the big mail-order places , my local stores dont stock many things that i use ..... Maybe if your in a big city you have many places to chose from, but in my small town i have one place to buy things local and if ya dont like evans heads and ludwig drums your pretty much out of luck. Most of the time it mail-order or nothing.
    +1
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    if ya dont like evans heads and ludwig drums your pretty much out of luck. most of the time it mail-order or nothing.
    Whatever store this is should open a location within 20 miles of my house. That's the stuff I use!

I have a small business and a GC that are nearly equidistant from my normal travels. Generally, the small business is more knowledgeable about what they are selling, at the tradeoff that they stock what they feel is best for them. GC I usually have to educate the clerks on what I'm looking for.

I've bought from both. It really is situational. But choices are good. I'd cry if the only restaraunts left were McDonald's because everyone was so crazy about the bottom line.
    A simple, elegant design is good engineering.

Axis | Ayotte | Evans | Gibraltar | Ludwig | Pro-Mark | Remo | Roc-N-Soc | SKB | Taye | Vic Firth | Whitney| Yamaha | Zildjian

dave0549jv Guest

I had a daddy's not too far from me, and I went in there about once a month or so, but I never once saw anything I would actually consider buying.