Thread: You are now reading...

User Info Menu

Default You are now reading...

a thread from the newest member of Bottom Drawer, a classic rock, contemporary country, pop, 6-piece band!!! Yes, I auditioned today and was unanimously voted into the band after just two songs. We then played for another 2+ hours. I think I won them over when we played Guns N Roses, Sweet Child of Mine (one of my favorites). We then played a whole bunch of stuff from Rare Earth, Get Ready to Carrie Underwood, When He Cheats, ZZ Top, Goo Goo Dolls, even Judas Priest, You Got Another Thing Comin'. They just kept throwing songs at me and, although I flubbed a few fills, missed a few endings, blew a few beginnings and dropped a few transitions, it was a great 2 hours of playing and it felt good to be back behind the set playing with a bunch of live humans! Our first gig (a paid one) is July 21 and we'll probably practice a couple of times before then. I can't wait!!!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Congratulations Stix! Must be so cool to be able to play with other musicians. Not there yet myself. Not that I'm ever looking to go pro, but I would like to "play well with others" (learned that in kindergarden - sorry, just a weird thought).

So great to hear about things going so well for you!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks PB... yeah, playing well with others, that's funny! I remember that from 1st grade (they didn't have kindergarten back when the Dead Sea was still sick!).

Stix

Sonor S-Class -Ash

14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats

User Info Menu

LOL I understand much more than you think! I am starting my drumming career at a rather advanced age. I always wanted to play the drums, but life just went a different direction for me. Ended up with a clarinet in the fourth grade, and made it for two years before the "yuck factor" got me! I've come to that time in my life when I have the opportunity to do something for me, and I decided if not now, then when. I'm 52 now, so I'm thinking I'll be ready to go pro at 80!

Seriously, though, this is for me, and if it should work out that I can share a talent with my church, then it would make me happy. Until then, I'll just rock out!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

dude thats great! you got yourself some great oportunites there!

User Info Menu

I'm right behind you brother!! Hit the big 4-6 this year. Rolled over 40 then 45... figure I'm on the downhill slide!! PB, age doesn't matter one bit. It's all in the desire. If you want something bad enough (like learning to play the drums), you can do it. Heck, I was away from the drums for like 20 years. But it's just like falling off a bike... once you get back up and on, it all comes back (but at this age, it takes a little longer for the muscle memory to return AND the muscles to stop hurting ). Heck, your already half way there with that Gretsch set - in the immortal words of Fernando (?) from Saturday Night Live... It is better to look good than to feel good! Keep on rockin!!

Stix

Sonor S-Class -Ash

14X5 D454 Chrome Snare

User Info Menu

Thanks, Lafirin. It should be fun!

Stix

Sonor S-Class -Ash

14X5 D454 Chrome Snare

User Info Menu

Thanks for the encouragement, Stix. It means a lot, especially coming from a guy that's just gotten himself a new gig!!

User Info Menu

No Prob PB. If it wasn't for my wife encouraging me, I wouldn't have the new set OR the new gig. Encouragement is the fertilizer for the seed of desire and the flower of accomplishment... Hey, I think I'll write that one down!! Maybe I'll be like Plato or something - Nah, more like Play-Doh!

Stix
    Last edited by Stix518; 06-24-2007 at 09:27 AM.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

14X5 D454 Chrome Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stix518 View Post
    a thread from the newest member of Bottom Drawer, a classic rock, contemporary country, pop, 6-piece band!!! Yes, I auditioned today and was unanimously voted into the band after just two songs. We then played for another 2+ hours. I think I won them over when we played Guns N Roses, Sweet Child of Mine (one of my favorites). We then played a whole bunch of stuff from Rare Earth, Get Ready to Carrie Underwood, When He Cheats, ZZ Top, Goo Goo Dolls, even Judas Priest, You Got Another Thing Comin'. They just kept throwing songs at me and, although I flubbed a few fills, missed a few endings, blew a few beginnings and dropped a few transitions, it was a great 2 hours of playing and it felt good to be back behind the set playing with a bunch of live humans! Our first gig (a paid one) is July 21 and we'll probably practice a couple of times before then. I can't wait!!!

Stix
    Wonderful!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you, way to go!!!!!

User Info Menu

its funny, i always hear about people quiting drums for 10, 20, 30 years, but lots of them always seem to come back, hmmm i guess drumming is just to much fun to walk away from

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stix518 View Post
    Encouragement is the fertilizer for the seed of desire and the flower of accomplishment... Hey, I think I'll write that one down!! Maybe I'll be like Plato or something - Nah, more like Play-Doh!

Stix
    I'm going with Plato! "Encouragement is the fertilizer for the seed of desire and the flower of accomplishment" is one of those statements that belongs on a sticky on the mirror, or in the lyrics of a song. In either case, Stix, I'd definitely right that one down!