Thread: why not baple/mirch???

User Info Menu

Default why not baple/mirch???

hmm i was thinkin today well.. i know mapex makes an MBirch drum..but why dont any big companies (or any at all) make drums with alternating ply's of maple and birch..or vise versa? Anyone know if its been done before? If not do you guys think it would make a sweet drum..im curious to see what they would play like..anyone else with me?

User Info Menu

Interesting concept. Might be worth contacting a drum company by email and asking the question. I do know that Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage shells are made of birch, mahogany, and falkata woods. You might be on to something, MI. At least it might be interesting to find out.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Its called the pearl reference series :P That was one im looking into.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

Yeah the reference series uses varying plies of Maple, Birch and African Mahogany in order to get better sounds for the toms. The smaller toms have more Maple with a little Birch, the larger toms have a more even mix of the 2. The floor toms mix African Mahogany with Maple, as does the Bass Drum.

I think with some of the Top line Drum Manufacturers you can get custom plies of wood put in, Pearl Masterworks and DW do it anyway i am nearly sure...
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

Did you just say Baple and Mirch??? I didn't even realise.. how very out of the ordinary indeed... haw haw haw haw haw
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

:P i thought it was cool.

Yeah pearl really put the yards in on that one and i havent tried it yet (In a couple of weeks maybe) But i am betting they are lush since each drum is designed to create the perfect tone :>
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

hmm interesting..i know ludwig doesnt do it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rjf1986 View Post
    Yeah the reference series uses varying plies of Maple, Birch and African Mahogany in order to get better sounds for the toms. The smaller toms have more Maple with a little Birch, the larger toms have a more even mix of the 2. The floor toms mix African Mahogany with Maple, as does the Bass Drum.

I think with some of the Top line Drum Manufacturers you can get custom plies of wood put in, Pearl Masterworks and DW do it anyway i am nearly sure...
    the reference is amazing. it would be nice if they would offer more finishes tho. it should at least come with the same finish options as the standard masters line. if you want a ref in a masters finish you have to go through masterworks and pay quite a bit more.
    premier also offers a hybrid mixed ply shell also.

ps. im 99% sure dw does not offer custom ply configuration like masterworks.

User Info Menu

I think if they did purple haze with different central colours it would be way cooler
    Roland TD 30KV
    Paiste PST5's

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters