Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joe Morello

User Info Menu

Default Re: Joe Morello

i've never watched any jazz drummers.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    i've never watched any jazz drummers.

Me neither till Morello. it never really appealed to me Buddy Rich and all that but there is something about Morello..
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Here is a video of Joe Morello on Conan. At 3:31 he drops a stick, reaches into his stick back and pulls a mallet, tosses that and reaches for another mallet, tosses that, get the stick he was searching for and continues. If you listened to the audio with no video, you probably wouldn't know anything was going on.

User Info Menu

Red face Re: Joe Morello

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    ...If you listened to the audio with no video, you probably wouldn't know anything was going on...
    Yeah, but I bet he's practiced that song before..!
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353 View Post
    Yeah, but I bet he's practiced that song before..!
    Yea, he has probably played Take 5 several time before.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    To be honest I have never been really into the big jazz drummers, The Buddy Riches etc. Or even the big name today such as Gadd, Peart etc.

However....

Joe Morello is simply fantastic!

...he plays those hats reeeeeal low. Wonder if that was his stand or he liked them that low?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    ...he plays those hats reeeeeal low. Wonder if that was his stand or he liked them that low?
    Those 1123 Ludwig Hat stands are sweet. Very light too. I don't think it's too low. Maybe his snare is/looks a little high and angled.

User Info Menu

Some of the greatness of Joe Morello

Last edited by Olimpass; 03-29-2020 at 01:00 PM.

User Info Menu

1 of the most interesting solos ever (IMHO)

User Info Menu

I had the pleasure of studied with Joe Morello and,became friendly with him. On occasions I've given him a ride home and,even stopped for a beer. We would talk about a lot of things,mostly drumming and drummers.I can only speak for myself that he was one of the nicest celebrities I've ever met. More than that,when you sat next to him and watched some of the things he did,you would be blown away. As you can see in some of the videos posted.

User Info Menu

I won't argue. He's no Dave Clark, but he'll do.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dachay drummmer View Post
    I had the pleasure of studied with Joe Morello and,became friendly with him. On occasions I've given him a ride home and,even stopped for a beer. We would talk about a lot of things,mostly drumming and drummers.I can only speak for myself that he was one of the nicest celebrities I've ever met. More than that,when you sat next to him and watched some of the things he did,you would be blown away. As you can see in some of the videos posted.

I must have caught him on a bad day. As I've posted before, he seemed totally disinterested in anything about drumming.

We did go for lunch, which was steak with Heinekens and vodka shots for him, discussed whether it was fingers or wrists that gave you speed. That seems to be a debate of a sort he had going with Buddy Rich.

When I left, he asked me when was the next time I would be at Buddy's club, and to tell Buddy that it was fingers that made you faster.

That took place in the mid-'70's when he was teaching at Dorn&Kirschners in Jersey.

User Info Menu

That's where it was.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dachay drummmer View Post
    That's where it was.

Did he still have that silver sparkle set in his studio?

User Info Menu

He did. O.ne day I was teasing him about a song he did Blue Rondo Ala Turk, I told him I would show him how it was done. When I was finished he got on those drums and effortlessly played the tune while talking to me. If anyone knows that tune he just knocked me out.

Bongo John Guest

His melodic nature was so incredible with the drums as well as his natural interpretations of polyrhythms. Truly a legend.

User Info Menu

I wish I had the chance to meet Joe, sit and talk drum talk pour down a couple of beers, I think he would have been a lot of fun to be around.
    R.I.P. Mr. Morello

User Info Menu

Joe Morello's "It's About Time".

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

I think this is where Bonham got his playing with his hands on the drums from.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Joe Morello is one drummer who influenced me a lot. Especially his 5/4 playing. Ever since Dave Brubeck came out with "Take Five", 5/4 has been something to strive for and master for some drummers. I have been working on it myself. Paul Desmond (Brubeck's alto sax player) wrot "Take Five" for Joe Morello so he would have his "own" drum solo. No one expected it to become as popular as it did, but now it is one of the most famous jazz songs out there.

This is "Take Five" with Joe Morello.

User Info Menu

In the album "Time Further Out" by Dave Brubeck, Joe upgraded that solo, if you will, and he recorded "Far More Drums" which I have counted as one of the best drum solos ever played considering it is in 5/4 time.

This is "Far More Drums"