Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Joe Morello

User Info Menu

Default Joe Morello

To be honest I have never been really into the big jazz drummers, The Buddy Riches etc. Or even the big name today such as Gadd, Peart etc.

However....

Joe Morello is simply fantastic!

Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Default Re: Joe Morello

+1. The Master, imho.
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Joe Morello is simply fantastic!
    That's the understatement of the year.

User Info Menu

Gotta love it when he adjusts his glasses(in the video) and continues his one-handed roll!

User Info Menu

Morello was a great drummer. His "Far More Drums" blew me away when I was a kid.

Terrible disappointment when I got to meet him. He used to teach at Dorn&Kirshners in Jersey.

Maybe he was having a bad day, but, he was about as disinterested in playing or teaching that day as anyone I have ever seen, and I was sent there by Marian McPartland.

User Info Menu

One of my favourite solos! So melodic, it' never gets old. That man oozes class, technique, and musicality.
    "If you're going to start with melody you'll need some tympani, I think" - Gene Krupa

User Info Menu

'Take 5' was one of my earliest exposures to the world of odd-times (another thing was the fact that there'd always been some sort of ethnic music being played around our house or others). Of course, it took a heck of a while before I could somewhat play swing in odd times, but never as good as what Joe Morello could do. "Time Out" is a must-have album. (By sheer coincidence, it sits right next to my Bill Bruford CD's on the shelf here, and Bruford himself has often said that listening to Morello was what also got him into odd-meters. Brubeck and Bruford....ha, who would have known?)
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

As previoously mentioned I have never been into they whole Jazz drummer thing but having watched bits on You Tube of Morello, Rich, Grupa ect, Morello is the one who spoke to me most.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    'Take 5' was one of my earliest exposures to the world of odd-times (another thing was the fact that there'd always been some sort of ethnic music being played around our house or others). Of course, it took a heck of a while before I could somewhat play swing in odd times, but never as good as what Joe Morello could do. "Time Out" is a must-have album. (By sheer coincidence, it sits right next to my Bill Bruford CD's on the shelf here, and Bruford himself has often said that listening to Morello was what also got him into odd-meters. Brubeck and Bruford....ha, who would have known?)

Time Further Out is a great album. Unsquare Dance will throw a lot of drummers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Time Further Out is a great album. Unsquare Dance will throw a lot of drummers.
    Oh yeah, most definitely!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I don't particularly like his glasses, but he is killer on the kit.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Still got the dvd where he teaches about rebound, fulcrum, and other introductory concepts along with other greats like Paice, Baker, and Appice. Phenominal player in his time, much of his stuff is still being practiced and inspiring future generations of bands. A few interesting things about him are his use of odd time signatures, partial vision, appeared on over 120 albums. Strangely he died at age 82 of mysterious causes in Irvington, New Jersey.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Not much mysterious about dying at 82, I'd have thought..?
    Have a nice day.
    Dad3353 (Douglas...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dad3353 View Post
    Not much mysterious about dying at 82, I'd have thought..?

Should not laugh but I could not help it!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England

User Info Menu

I own 'Master Studies' by Joe Morello. Really good rudiments book. Top drummer too.
    Pdp LXE | Pearl ELX Export

'Give me your fingernails, oh look, the moon' - Todd Sucherman.

User Info Menu

I read an interview with Iron Maiderns Nicko McBrain today who cites Morello as his insperation for taking up the drums..
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England

User Info Menu

I attended a clinic Morello held about 2 1/2 yrs before his death.

He jammed one of his fingers in a garage door the day before.

Well, he held one of his sticks between the index and middle finger of his right hand and, well..............................

he had our jaws droppin

what a phenomenal drummer still

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Gotta love it when he adjusts his glasses(in the video) and continues his one-handed roll!
    I'm sure a few on here have heard this before , but the story goes that Joe once broke a tom head one night during a solo and rectified the problem without stopping playing . Yep , his left hand and feet continued the solo whilst he changed the head with his right hand .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stanhandler View Post
    I'm sure a few on here have heard this before , but the story goes that Joe once broke a tom head one night during a solo and rectified the problem without stopping playing . Yep , his left hand and feet continued the solo whilst he changed the head with his right hand .

Never heard that one but if true, that is truly incredible!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England

User Info Menu

It's a good story, but I doubt if it's true. Think about the process of changing a head one handed.

User Info Menu

It's a good story, but I doubt if it's true. Think about the process of changing a head one handed.
    According to Paul Wertico , who claims to have witnessed this first hand , it happened during at a drum festival in 1968 at Chicago's Grant Park ( source : Modern Drummer July 2011 issue ).

User Info Menu

According to Paul Wertico , who claims to have witnessed this first hand , it happened during at a drum festival in 1968 at Chicago's Grant Park ( source : Modern Drummer July 2011 issue ).

I'm not saying it's impossible, just difficult.

Sometimes when I practice, I'll have a cup of coffee in my right hand, and just practice with my left hand and the BD.

I'm putting new heads on my drums in the next couple of days. Maybe for the hell of it, I'll try changing the head while playing. Do you know which head it was?

User Info Menu

i'm with rick, its impossible to change a head with one hand while maintaining a solo. i think lots of these stories become drum 'lore' or 'myth', because they make it into modern drummer or any other book....as interviews.
    but joe morello SWINGS all the same. undisclosed causes of his death at 82 could just mean privacy for the family. 82 is a pretty good 'old age'

User Info Menu

I'm not saying it's impossible, just difficult.

Sometimes when I practice, I'll have a cup of coffee in my right hand, and just practice with my left hand and the BD.

I'm putting new heads on my drums in the next couple of days. Maybe for the hell of it, I'll try changing the head while playing. Do you know which head it was?
    Not a clue about the head - the bass drum would have been something , eh

Seriously , according to Wertico , Joe kept a steady flow of triplets going with the left . He ( Morello ) did have extraordinary technique , so this may not have been that difficult for someone like Joe.

User Info Menu

I'm not worthy!!!! Joe Morello is a drum God legend!