Thread: Possible new instructor, your thoughts?

User Info Menu

Default Possible new instructor, your thoughts?

So I been thinking of taking a few months worth of lessons again and found a local guy who been playing for 30+ yrs and been to school and all that. He came over my house and brought the usual stuff, like all the single strokes, went over my grip with me, left me some shooting type targets to tape to a snare drum and try to practice singles and doubles on and try to keep them all in the middle.

It was just a meet and greet and we set up for lessons every 2 weeks for an hour at a time for $35 at my place.

One thing he told me before he left was that my grip was wrong, which I have always been told was good. I do get some pain and stiffness just below my thumb and between thumb and forefinger when I 1st start playing but it usually goes away after the 1st song or so.

So I ask you what is the correct way for match grip Photo 1 is the way I always have held it and been shown by 2 other instructors and photo 2 is the way he wants me to hold it, which will take some getting used to.

The difference if it cannot be seen well is the gap between my forefinger and thumb, I have always had a small gap there and he says to not have any gap at all.. Don't force it but just keep it closed. he referred to something about keeping the bird in the cage or something. What are your thoughts? should I bother trying to change it or not? Is this a good grip?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Possible new instructor, your thoughts?

It seems to me that the second grip would not be what I would use. I tried the grip on a pair of sticks and the second grip I found uncomfortable.

This is like the post about where to sit on you throne. You sit where YOU are comfortable, not where the teacher thinks you should sit.

The same goes for grip. The grip in the first photo is very close to what I use, and have been using for 55 years with no problems.

Just because someone has the resume doesn't mean he is a good teacher, I've seen too many hacks that look at teaching as a way to make some extra money, but aren't really good teachers. We have one in my hometown.

You have to look around for a "good" teacher.

User Info Menu

How are you supposed to make a fulcrum between your thumb and finger when they are touching like that?
    Your original grip looks 10x better IMO.

User Info Menu

Ya know thats what I was thinking but just want to make sure I was not dismissing some other way of gripping the stick. I think I will pass on this guy and go back to my old instructor..A little more money but you get what you pay for I guess
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I have been preaching the closed hand method (second of your pictures) to my students for 20 years now. It feels like my fulcrum switches back to where my pinky hits my hand when that gap is present. When it's closed, I feel like I am gripping with the front of my hand, and my control is way better. It's also too hard to maintain a consistent opening size between those fingers, so you are constantly shifting around.

This is all my opinion only, and it probably doesn't matter as much on set, but that seems to be a critical factor to getting my snares and tenor players to match up open stroke rolls.

User Info Menu

I play with the gap, personally. It's easier for me to keep my grip loose. As a general rule every teacher is going to teach a slightly different grip and you should be able to use them and adapt them to the music you're playing. If you watch videos of your favorite drummers, often their grips are drastically different from each other. I actually teach beginning students one grip and more advanced students a different one.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

I have asked Mike Mangini ten years ago about this question since I saw him leaving a much wider gap than OP. Mike told me that the grip is essential, not only the grip, but the palm shall make enough room for a golf ball size.