Thread: Hi-hat alignment/setting problem

User Info Menu

Default Hi-hat alignment/setting problem

Whenever i set my hi hats, bare in mind these are pretty old and were probably not treated well by the previous owner, i cannot seem to get them to be independent of eachother when they are about a half inch or 3/4 of an inch appart. on edge will always be tilted down resting on the lower hat looking like a thin slice of pie from the side. there is no felt washer underneath the bottom hat either.... any advice would help.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hi-hat alignment/setting problem

Get some felt underneath your bottom hat. Most Hi-Hat stands have a "angle" adjustment screw...maybe you could try that.

User Info Menu

+1 on new felt. Cheap and great upgrade.

User Info Menu

Yup, A felt should help a lot, believe it or not. Also, does your stand have an adjustment knob to change the angle of the bottom cymbal?
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    get some felt underneath your bottom hat. Most hi-hat stands have a "angle" adjustment screw...maybe you could try that.
    +1
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Also could be a bent rod.
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

im thinking bent rod but i use a rubber cup on my bottom hat with a tilter screw.
    works AWESOME

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Get some felt underneath your bottom hat. Most Hi-Hat stands have a "angle" adjustment screw...maybe you could try that.
    I ordered a few felt cymbal washers...they might be smaller ones like what you would put on a crash though? i wonder how that will work... also, there IS a little screw on the seat for the bottom hat but that seems to do absolutley nothing... i probably do just need new felts.. thanks guys

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Austinkessler View Post
    I ordered a few felt cymbal washers...they might be smaller ones like what you would put on a crash though? i wonder how that will work... also, there IS a little screw on the seat for the bottom hat but that seems to do absolutley nothing... i probably do just need new felts.. thanks guys
    most if the felts you ordered are like ones that go on other cymbal stands, like for a crash cymbal, it could be a problem, I'm not exactly 100% but most hi-hats stands have their own type of felts which are larger in diameter, but i guess if you wanted to you could probably put a crash one on their.......

and for your second question,yes, their should be an adjustment screw, underneath your bottom hi-hat, that will raise/lower one side of the bottom hat to make it even with the top

User Info Menu

I agree on the felts and tilt cup.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by imperialstar15 View Post
    most if the felts you ordered are like ones that go on other cymbal stands, like for a crash cymbal, it could be a problem, i'm not exactly 100% but most hi-hats stands have their own type of felts which are larger in diameter
    +1
    1997 DW collectors kit
    2010 ddrum dios m series kit
    1966 Ludwig acrolite
    Sabian/zildjian cymbals
    Dw/Tama/Pearl hardware

User Info Menu

Yeah, the felts were about an inch or more tall, and not wide enough but it did the trick! however, my tilt screw doesn't do jack :/ not that it matters

User Info Menu

The tilt screw usually tilts a metal washer that sits under the felt. If that washer is missing the screw just ends up digging into the felt!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    The tilt screw usually tilts a metal washer that sits under the felt. If that washer is missing the screw just ends up digging into the felt!
    +1

Austinkessler, here's a pic of what slinglander is describing. There should be a washer between the adjustment screw and the felt. Otherwise, the screw will work its way through the felt and onto the bell of the bottom hat and will wear a groove into the cymbal. I have a friend that did this on his kit.

"it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrummerD View Post
    +1

Austinkessler, here's a pic of what slinglander is describing. There should be a washer between the adjustment screw and the felt. Otherwise, the screw will work its way through the felt and onto the bell of the bottom hat and will wear a groove into the cymbal. I have a friend that did this on his kit.

your picture didnt come up but i feel retarded now. im an insanely handy guy..i honestly should have known. alright, what type of washer do i need? try emailing me the picture austinkessler666@gmail.com <---please correct me if i'm not allowed to put my email on.

User Info Menu

nevermind it came up..uh thats a big washer can i use a few peices of thick poster board wood glued together? :P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Austinkessler View Post
    your picture didnt come up but i feel retarded now. im an insanely handy guy..i honestly should have known. alright, what type of washer do i need?
    Hey, no need to feel bad about not knowing something. Everyone learns by asking questions. This was a good question to ask and I'm sure their are others that can learn from this post as well.

I sent you an email here on Drum Chat. If you can, these washers are sold at local music stores and are fairly inexpensive. You may be able to go to a hardware store and get a standard flat washer as well. However, the Hi-Hat washers are usually cupped.
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

cupped like a shallow dish sort of way? i'll see what i can find. thanks again

By the way, I tried to reply to your private message. might I include how disparaged I feel that I was denied the ability to privately speak with you because of my post count.
    Last edited by Austinkessler; 12-11-2011 at 11:07 PM.