Thread: Pearl Demon Drive users

User Info Menu

Default Pearl Demon Drive users

To those that use the Pearl Demon Drive pedals. How do you like them? How do they feel compared to the Pearl Powershifter Eliminators? Would it be a big difference going from the Eliminators to the Demon?

My reason for asking is I have a chance to get a couple Demon drive pedals at a greatly reduced price and I'm considering it. However I've used the Eliminator's ever since they have been on the market and don't know if I will like the change in feel.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer on the Demon drive.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Pearl Demon Drive users

I wrote this review a while back:

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...oot-10849.html

User Info Menu

My tutor just got some and raves about them.
    You know the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    they don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.

User Info Menu

I heard nothing but good reviews on the Demon Drives. They are direct drive as for the Eliminators are chain or belt. Read what Late8 has written on them. Good luck you can't go wrong with any Pearl product.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks, very informative.

User Info Menu

ive played one. i love it! wish i could afford it. the only problem ive heard of is the round beater will deteriorete and flatten over time. keep turning it and when you end up with a hexagon beater replace it with another brand. the beaters are 80 bucks. double pedal? ouch!

User Info Menu

I have the single pedal and have been using only direct drives for a while now. However, the beaters are awful for for i play, i use either a danmar hard felt or a pure sound felt. if you have played direct drives and know that they take some getting used to i would say go for it. but know that there is definitely a difference in the action between the two.

User Info Menu

I read about the beaters on the DD wearing out fast. Why not get the quad beaters that are used on the Eliminator pedals. I have been using this quad beater now for 5 years and have not used the other 3 heads on there and still in good shape. Just a thought.

User Info Menu

had the quads for a while, not my thing, i never used the plastic side and the felt surface area wasn't large enough to achieve the tone i like. most people i know who use demon use the quads.

User Info Menu

I play Demon Drives with the DD control core wood beaters.

I'm not going to lie to you and tell you that going from a chain drive Eliminator to a direct drive Demon Drive is a walk in the park. It will take some getting used to. And there's a lot to tweak on the Demon Drive, which are very subtle. If you're not prepared to toy around with the features, it can really seem disappointing.

Direct drive pedals tend to feel lighter when you play them, even ratcheting up the tension won't give it the same feel as a chain drive pedal.

If you're satisfied with your current pedal, I would personally keep that. Unless you're really into direct drives.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the info guys. The main reason I was considering this is because of the price. My local Drum shop is selling their store demo double pedal for $459.00 , they have it on E-bay , it's in new condition, and a new double goes for $649.00. If it's that much of a different feel I think I'm going to pass on it and use the money for some other stuff. I love my Eliminators and don't want to have to adjust to a new feel all over again. I'm going to be changing my set up a bit and I need some new rack add-on's and I want a second snare as well so I'll use the cash for that.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Pearl Demon Drive users

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. The main reason I was considering this is because of the price. My local Drum shop is selling their store demo double pedal for $459.00 , they have it on E-bay , it's in new condition, and a new double goes for $649.00. If it's that much of a different feel I think I'm going to pass on it and use the money for some other stuff. I love my Eliminators and don't want to have to adjust to a new feel all over again. I'm going to be changing my set up a bit and I need some new rack add-on's and I want a second snare as well so I'll use the cash for that.
    I agree with you man if you are happy with your chain drive then use the money on something else. Maybe down the road when the DD come down in price then think about it but for now stay with the Eliminator cause I think they are the best pedals out there IMO..

User Info Menu

I used the DD double pedal for just over a year. I often converted it to two single pedals when I felt like lugging my double-bass kit. The ability to convert it is it's best feature.

The connecting rod developed a stripped screw, but Pearl replaced it. The new one stripped too. The beaters were completely worn out after a dozen gigs. Yes, I rotated them, but they eventually caved all the way to the metal caps. Also, the slave pedal would slide around easily - Pearl should put spikes or industrial velcro on there!

I play hard, but I take care of my gear. The pedals I used prior to the DD were the original Iron Cobras. They lasted YEARS without issue.

The DD was, by far, the smoothest pedal I ever tried, but it did NOT make me a faster player (for whatever reason). I tried several adjustments (angle, tension, etc.), but never got over a nagging fatigue in my leg(s).

I recently went back to Tama. All is right with the world again...

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20