Thread: Yamaha Drums

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha Drums

Hi all.I have an opportunity to purchase a 5 piece Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage kit for $500.
    22" Bass drum,10",12" mounted and 14" suspended floor tom.My question is:
    Besides shell material,what is the difference between the birch stage custome and the stage custome advantage?Which one sounds better and is $500.00 a good deal?I searched the net and couldn't find anything except that the advantage is discontinued.Merry Christmas to all and thanks for your help.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha Drums

price is a little steep but either is a good kit that will carry you far.
    the stage custom advantage is a birch/mahogany kit, i dont think it has the YESS mounts the Birch Stage Custom has which is 100% birch.
    pretty drumsets, the both of them.
    again 500 is a bit high but not by much.

User Info Menu

Thanks Kyle.It does have the yess mounts,and the air seal system.I read the reviews on them.Not one bad one.

User Info Menu

Just depends on what stage custom you're talking about...the stage custom (standard) and stage custom advantage were out at the same time (in the late 90's, early 2000's)...they had the same shell makeup (Birch, Philippine Mahogany & Falkata wood)...both had Yess mounts...the main difference was the advantage had hi-tension lugs (i.e., full length) and offered more finish options than the stage custom standard (the standard had separate lugs)...now fast forward to today...Stage customs today are 100% birch shells..pretty much everything else remains the same on this kit as it did on the stage custom standard (i.e., there is no more advantage kit)..hope this helps..

User Info Menu

I may be wrong here but the rack toms on the Advantage might be 1" deeper the the current offering.

9x10 vs 8x10
    10x12 vs 9x12

Is that right Scorch?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by areFish View Post
    I may be wrong here but the rack toms on the Advantage might be 1" deeper the the current offering.

9x10 vs 8x10
    10x12 vs 9x12

Is that right Scorch?
    Yep..you are correct Fish!.....didn't know those sizes weren't offered on the all birch kit.....guess I should have checked that catalog..lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fatgoorilla View Post
    Hi all.I have an opportunity to purchase a 5 piece Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage kit for $500.
    22" Bass drum,10",12" mounted and 14" suspended floor tom.My question is:
    Besides shell material,what is the difference between the birch stage custome and the stage custome advantage?Which one sounds better and is $500.00 a good deal?I searched the net and couldn't find anything except that the advantage is discontinued.Merry Christmas to all and thanks for your help.
    I think $500. is high for a used stage custom 5pc, A brand new shell pack is $649.... $300. is a good deal, $350. is as high as I would go, especially in this economy.
    Drums... That's how I roll!

http://facebook.com/davewilson831

The Gretsch Drums Woodshed

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help guys.I play Ludwigs,blue/olive badge.The old 80's kit with the black wrap.Been playing them for many,many years.Then I bought the Gretch catalina club for a fifties band I joined.It had the look that I needed.But i've been wanting a nice set of Yamahas for a while now.I'm planning on grabbing the absolute maples in a year or two.The advantage kit has a nice look also,the gold sparkle finish.I actually paid $425 for them on Ebay.The rest was for shipping.Came with the stock snare stand and bass drum pedal too.The reviews I read on line were all good so I decieded to grab them.I'll have to wait and see how they are.I'll be in touch.