Thread: Audio Sync with Drums

User Info Menu

Default Audio Sync with Drums

Hey everyone,

I am really interested in making drum covers and putting them on YouTube. I have one up already but it is with no music playing in the audio, it's just drums playing. I have no idea how to sync the music up that I am covering onto the audio when I edit it on the computer. Is there any program that I should get that lets you do that? How do I sync music up to my drumming when I film drum covers?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Audio Sync with Drums

I use iMovie and Garageband.

If you use a PC I think Windows movie maker can do this.

Basically you import the sound, and line it up with the audio from the movie, then delete the audio from the movie and keep the recorded soundtrack.

Good luck!
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

I have been trying to do that, and I got it to start when I'm pplaying at the beginning. Howver, through the rest of the song it kept getting out of sync, and it would get more and more off-sync through the video. How can I fix that
    ?
    theshockwave4

Pearl Forum Series (Dark Green)
    12" & 16" Toms, 22" Bass Drum
    Pearl Powershifter Double Bass Pedal
    Zildjian 14" ZBT crash
    Zildjian 14" ZBT hi-hats
    Sabian 16" AAX-plosion crash
    Sabian 21" HH Vintage ride
    Sabian 8" B8 splash
    Wuhan 18" China

Evans EC2 Clear Heads
    Evans Power Center Snare Head
    Remo Powerstroke 3 Bass Head

Zildjian Dave Grohl Sticks
    Zildjian Travis Barker White Sticks
    Vic Firth 5A Sticks

User Info Menu

Hmm, that shouldn't happen. If the audio is exactly the same as what you played in the video (same time too), and you lined it up correctly, it should work.
    Are you playing the drums and getting rid of the audio and putting in just the audio of the song your covering (ducking your playing to 100% with the song playing over it)? That means your playing is off. But in the case that it isn't, I'll need to know some more info. It could also be a latency issue with your recorder, but I've never heard of anything that bad. Or you might just need to zoom in further on your editor and make absolutely sure it's in sync with the music.

Let me know so I can help you on this.
    -DrumRookie

-Gear-
    Birch Tama Starclassic 22", 14", 12", 10" - 14"x5" Black Panther Steel Snare - Iron Cobra Hi-Hat Stand - Zildjian 20" A Vintage ride - Sabian HH 16" Crash - Sabian AAX 18" Studio Crash - Agazarian 10" Splash - Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hats - ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 5A - Various sticks & percussion - CP Bongos

User Info Menu

Look up WandRmedia on youtube there is a great tutorial using imovie to sync audio but same concept could be applied to any software. Or just search for syncing Audio in iMovie 11. Basically you need to use a "marker" at the beginning of the video by clapping or hitting your sticks together. Those peaks will show up and will be obvious for you to line up.
    Mapex Saturn Red Sparkle 10, 12, 14, 22
    Mapex Black Panther Steel Snare 14 x 6,

Mapex Armory Photon Blue 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    Tomahawk 14x5.5 Snare

Meinl 20" Dark Raw Bell Ride, 20" Traditional Extra Thin Hand Hammered Crash, 18" Sand Thin Crash, 14" Byzance Dark Hats

Samsun 22" Design series Ride, 13" Design Series Hats, 16" FX Loop Effects Crash + 12" Raw Earth Splash (stacker)

Tama Speed Cobra (single pedal), Tama Iron Cobra (double pedal)